TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
Jul 18, 2010
Lacey, Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
Parker 2820
Contact me regarding a fishing trip, must be an active recruiter. I have a kid, not mine, but I want to be present for the interview.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Most all services including Navy don’t offer a real trade that has absolute crossover to civilian sector.

Navy Corman (medic) may offer some EMT skills
various Mechanic skills offered
Seabees for construction skills......

Recruiters are salesman selling their branch of service, but many military jobs wont cross over....

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Most all services including Navy don’t offer a real trade that has absolute crossover to civilian sector.

Navy Corman (medic) may offer some EMT skills
various Mechanic skills offered
Seabees for construction skills......

Recruiters are salesman selling their branch of service, but many military jobs wont cross over....
Several of the younger Electronic Techs we work with have been trained in the Navy. I wonder if marine electrician is something they could get training in the Navy. A good one of those is worth their weight in gold.

mackereljoe

Apr 1, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Joey
Boat
None
It’s hard to assess what trade or rate the young man can qualify until he takes the test. After the a classifier can tell him and his recruiter but sometimes the rate (trade) is overmanned so a recruiter will convince him to an open one. I was told I will be working in an air conditioned space. And he’s correct. Except for the funeral details most weekends, security watch, boatswains mate of the watch, quarter master of the watch.....I missed it daily.

Cohoho

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
Need a PHD degree to design it
Need a Master degree to build it
Need a Bachelors degree to fly it
Need a GED to fix it!

Many jobs transfer over to civilian jobs right out of the service - Avionics, jet engine guys, airframe guys, HVAC, Electricians, Medical jobs, EOD, etc... etc... etc... I got numerous amounts of retired to just a few years in the service friends and family that walked into great jobs after getting a solid foundation in the military within their specific career field. Not much of a calling for civilian jobs needing mortar or infantry experience but plenty of good trades in all services.

JTC

Too Sirius
Aug 13, 2012
Redmond Wa
Name
Jeff
Boat
24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
Or
Most all trades in Washington are accepting apprentices currently
Starting around 50k a year
Average 4 year apprenticeship
Ending around 90-110k as a journeyman
Currently a carpenter starting for us makes 57k a year first year raise every 6 months

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Or
Currently a carpenter starting for us makes 57k a year first year raise every 6 months
I hope this message is heard - Jeff is spot on.

Reactions: alex88

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
Or
Yep. Unless serving his country is his calling then this is the route to a career.

Cohoho

May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
When I joined in 1982 it wasn’t for money, it wasn't for a higher calling it was to get the fuck out of depressed area of West Virginia. Choices growing up were; steel mills, brick yard, pottery, or mining- nope not me! But in truth 20 years later it was best thing I ever did! Got full medical and decent chunk of change every month since I was 38. Never got rich from it but gained more experiences never knew possible. Been damn near every where in the world, some good and some shitholes. Lived in some amazing countries and got to do stuff most dream of. No regrets for sure!

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Need a PHD degree to design it
Need a Master degree to build it
Need a Bachelors degree to fly it
Need a GED to fix it!

Many jobs transfer over to civilian jobs right out of the service - Avionics, jet engine guys, airframe guys, HVAC, Electricians, Medical jobs, EOD, etc... etc... etc... I got numerous amounts of retired to just a few years in the service friends and family that walked into great jobs after getting a solid foundation in the military within their specific career field. Not much of a calling for civilian jobs needing mortar or infantry experience but plenty of good trades in all services.
Just not true.... military electricians don’t qualify as civilians, they can get out and if lucky get into the electrical apprentice program and do night school like any other person. They cannot step out of the military and start wiring houses or buildings. most of the medical jobs do not qualify either, they simply do not get the accreditation needed for hospitals to hire them. LPN and RN get their degree from civilian schools prior to entering the military. An LPN joins as an E-3 because of schooling and is an E-5 witching 6 months, RN’s are officers, but they leave the military with the same degree they showed up with. Had this conversation with a current active Sargent Major at dinner just the other night.... many of his troops cannot get out and get a job. I don’t know about other services, but the army uses DOD and outside contractors for HVAC, that is not an MOS...

I was a very skilled medic initial combat medic course 10 weeks and later the 6 month advanced course. I performed many minor surgeries, did more sutures than most doctors, was a cpr instructor, and ran an aid station. Very advanced medically, my advanced course is where they send Navy Seal Medics. I could do veinous cut downs, chest tubes, and lots of stuff only physicians can do in civilian life.... got out of the service and they wouldn’t let me ride in an ambulance.... probably better I didn’t get stuck in that career anyhow.

Don’t get me wrong as you said a good foundation, but a trade.... nope!

The best trade I have seen is my friend who was in Afghanistan and was a helicopter mechanic. It still took him a year after being out to get his documents proving his experience and getting his certification to get a real job..... But.... he makes Bank! And Loves his job...

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
Not much of a calling for civilian jobs needing mortar or infantry experience but plenty of good trades in all services.
Tomorrow is the 75 year anniversary of "D Day". Plenty of Infantryman in that mix and they changed history.

An Infantryman is a leader. Even someone with a short enlistment has been groomed to become a leader even if he hasn't been officially placed in a leadership position before he separated. Leadership is about inspiring confidence in the people you are responsible for. Asking them to do something that can be at odds with their very existence.

Hire and Infantryman, and you will get an employee who understands teamwork, loyalty, responsibility, punctuality, accountability and selfless service.

If you get someone like that, (and give them YOUR best) you can make them into anything you need them to be.

They don't teach that in college.

Deviant

Apr 8, 2010
WA
Name
Tim
Boat
Bounty 293 "KRAKEN"
The military is what you make of it! If you join, do a 20+ year career & learn a skill and do nothing more than good for you.
If you get the certifications, education and master other skills associated with your AFSC/ MOS or whatever, then you will expand your horizons and become marketable.

The market is out there, but one must market themselves.

Last edited:

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Tomorrow is the 75 year anniversary of "D Day". Plenty of Infantryman in that mix and they changed history.

An Infantryman is a leader. Even someone with a short enlistment has been groomed to become a leader even if he hasn't been officially placed in a leadership position before he separated. Leadership is about inspiring confidence in the people you are responsible for. Asking them to do something that can be at odds with their very existence.

Hire and Infantryman, and you will get an employee who understands teamwork, loyalty, responsibility, punctuality, accountability and selfless service.

If you get someone like that, (and give them YOUR best) you can make them into anything you need them to be.

There are many dipshits and pogues in the military who would never and could never be a leader... just because they were in the military infantry or otherwise does not make them all the things you list above. When I got station in Hawaii 25th infantry division light, I was in a cohort batallian and many many of these young soldiers did their time and left, learning only how to get through their time.

As Tim states above, it’s what you make of it. I made a lot of mine, went to many extra schools, got lots of extra badges, and excelled at every opportunity, while others did not.... I became an NCO in record time for my MOS, did soldiers boards to prepare, went to college while in, etc.....

My military experience cannot be replaced! I also left very marketable because of who I am and what I did with myself. I did not leave the military with a trade that I could use.

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
There are many dipshits and pogues in the military who would never and could never be a leader... just because they were in the military infantry or otherwise does not make them all the things you list above. When I got station in Hawaii 25th infantry division light, I was in a cohort batallian and many many of these young soldiers did their time and left, learning only how to get through their time.

As Tim states above, it’s what you make of it. I made a lot of mine, went to many extra schools, got lots of extra badges, and excelled at every opportunity, while others did not.... I became an NCO in record time for my MOS, did soldiers boards to prepare, went to college while in, etc.....

My military experience cannot be replaced! I also left very marketable because of who I am and what I did with myself. I did not leave the military with a trade that I could use.
Thanks for your service. If nothing else it helped you on a path to a couple really cool boats!

Reactions: G-Spot

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney

You can teach skills, you can't teach character, work ethic, or want to succeed. Unfortunately, in this F'ed up world a bachelors degree is bare minimum to even get an interview.....

In hiring for a local aerospace company, it's pathetic the brain dead, unmotivated, self-entitled, dribble, that shows up just because they have a piece of paper. I hate it.