neil c

Fish killing fool
Mar 28, 2011
long beach / rainbow harbor / shoreline village
Name
neil
Boat
34 radovich Four Reel Sportfishing
Having some issues blowing fuel out of exhaust. Boat is in Long Beach Rainbow Harbor. Had a hokey mechanic track down the issue. I Replaced 4 injectors on one side and still have the same issue. Time waisted.

Jul 9, 2003
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
Have you tried Quinn Caterpillar?
I'm not a fan of the one and only Cat mechanic we have up in my area but I would think there would be a couple in Long Beach that aren't assholes.

Reactions: neil c

chevy72

May 16, 2014
Long Beach
Name
Matt
Boat
42ft Seaward
Having some issues blowing fuel out of exhaust. Boat is in Long Beach Rainbow Harbor. Had a hokey mechanic track down the issue. I Replaced 4 injectors on one side and still have the same issue. Time waisted.
I just used Marine Diesel Services, they are in Costa Mesa, but they are definetly my new mechanics. Great guys, and do good work. I am in Shoreline, so you do have to pay for their travel time, but worth it to have it done right...

neil c

Fish killing fool
Mar 28, 2011
Name
neil
Boat
I just used Marine Diesel Services, they are in Costa Mesa, but they are definetly my new mechanics. Great guys, and do good work. I am in Shoreline, so you do have to pay for their travel time, but worth it to have it done right...
Thanks for the info. Going to try to find someone local but great to know.

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
If you’re getting fuel out of exhaust, it can only be a couple of things. Are you getting a bunch of white smoke? Does engine run smooth or feel like it has a miss? Have you noticed any water in your water separator?

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
3208's, Catapillar's disposable engine. They used them in every thing from snow plows, busses and boats....No sleeves but they are very inexpensive to purchase and there are still loads of them around............Ap

ShadBurke

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Mechanical fuel pump needs rebuilt my guess. They can turn them up 15% when rebuilt.

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
Loved my 3208s. Take care of them and they will outlast you. And despite what Apogee says, there are some very well documented and successful rebuilds on them.
If I remember correctly, the 320 hp is the highest rated horsepower without the aftercoolers and additional cooling/oil passages in the block, so be careful of bumping power up too much.

neil c

Fish killing fool
Mar 28, 2011
Name
neil
Boat
If you’re getting fuel out of exhaust, it can only be a couple of things. Are you getting a bunch of white smoke? Does engine run smooth or feel like it has a miss? Have you noticed any water in your water separator?
No smoke, engine has a little different sound than the other. Engine runs smooth and starts no problem. All separators are clean. Crazy thing is that I lost 20lb of oil pressure at the same time.

ShadBurke

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Did you start cracking injectors open when running to see if engine idles differently?

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
Did it make oil (fuel in the oil)? If so, that would be my suspect for the loss of oil pressure. The lack of smoke is intriguing. I agree with the above post about cracking injector lines. What was the theory on replacing only half of the injectors?