kaosx10

Master of KAOS
Mar 15, 2013
pinon hills, ca
Name
jeff
Boat
25' Farallon - Grizzly Bear
I going with a big group of non-anglers on a cruise in July and we will end up in Seward. Plan on spending a few days on the Kenai/ Coopers landing, and looking to fish Halibut one day. Was trying to get to Montague Island, but Crackerjack is all filled up. Does anyone have any suggestions for another operation that might target Montague?

bosco

Older Timer
Oct 21, 2005
Santa Barbara
Name
Ken Ross
Boat
Someone else's
I going with a big group of non-anglers on a cruise in July and we will end up in Seward. Plan on spending a few days on the Kenai/ Coopers landing, and looking to fish Halibut one day. Was trying to get to Montague Island, but Crackerjack is all filled up. Does anyone have any suggestions for another operation that might target Montague?
saltwater Safari.com. Used these guys years ago to Target salmon sharks at Montegue. Give them a call and tell them you want to Target halibut. bosco

BirdDawg!

Jun 21, 2019
Home
Name
Nope
Boat
Yup
Kaosx10, with Crackerjack being full I would ask Andy & Nik for recommendations. I've only fished Seward once (with Crackerjack) but bought a Saltwater Safari hoodie because their logo was so cool. They were real busy so guessing they are a legit outfit. But I would first get recommendations from other captains first. IMO being referred from another captain will help ensure a quality trip.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Getting late in the year to book a charger for July. that is prime time for everything. ProFishNSea has a good rep too.

Reactions: bwnieder

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
check out crazy rays sportfishing. They are located in Whitter Ak. They fish Montegue all the time.

kaosx10

Master of KAOS
Mar 15, 2013
pinon hills, ca
Name
jeff
Boat
Thanks for all the replies and I have followed up with most of the suggestions. However, I Found out that charters can't fish on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for halibut, which are the primary days that we had available but did find out that the closure days only apply to charters and not un-guided anglers so I rented a 24' hewes craft for two days, DIY fishing! Now I am hoping to get some help with good fishing spots around Seward and even close to Montague. Resurrection Bay is pretty large and could be intimidating fishing in an unfamiliar area. I know that this is a lot to ask and do not expect anyone to post to the general public their secrets, but if someone familiar with the Seward area whould like to help me out, I would appreciate it. Obviously via DM. I will be super respectful of your intel and keep it to myself. Just looking to fish for a few days. Thanks!

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
The boat you rented may have spots already on the fish finder...

URN

Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
A few tips about going out of resurrection bay: outside the bay you can keep 3 silver salmon. Inside the bay you can keep 6. If you have a lingcod onboard (can only catch outside the bay) then once you enter the bay you are done fishing. If you are fishing inside the bay and have a ling onboard the fish cops WILL NOT BE NICE, no matter if it was caught outside the bay. Most charters that operate out of Seward head toward Montague.

Last year was my DIY crash course and I learned some good lessons. I don’t have any experience outside the bay of Seward since I didn’t feel comfortable taking my jet boat that far out. I sold it and have a pilot house boat now so I can get to the better halibut grounds outside of the bay. Some butts can be caught inside the bay but it was hard for me last year being a noob to it. If you keep rockfish make sure you’re following the regs on those. We were stopped by the fish cops and every question was designed to open the door for you to self-incriminate. Depending on your boating experience be familiar with dropping and retrieving anchors in high tidal currents. The wind is usually pretty calm in the early morning but by noon to 1:00 it’s usually heading out of the bay making for head seas coming back in.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

soul troller

HMFIC
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
I'm with AKSalmon .
I did a self guided week in a different part of Alaska for halibut and the GPS on that boat was loaded with spots. I thought it was BS at first until we had limits of big fish on multiple days.

Maybe a case of beer for the local you rent the boat from will yield some areas to target.

Good luck
20180318_091706.png

kaosx10

Master of KAOS
Mar 15, 2013
pinon hills, ca
Name
jeff
Boat
thanks for all the input so far! taking it all in for use later.
A few tips about going out of resurrection bay: outside the bay you can keep 3 silver salmon. Inside the bay you can keep 6. If you have a lingcod onboard (can only catch outside the bay) then once you enter the bay you are done fishing. If you are fishing inside the bay and have a ling onboard the fish cops WILL NOT BE NICE, no matter if it was caught outside the bay. Most charters that operate out of Seward head toward Montague.

Last year was my DIY crash course and I learned some good lessons. I don’t have any experience outside the bay of Seward since I didn’t feel comfortable taking my jet boat that far out. I sold it and have a pilot house boat now so I can get to the better halibut grounds outside of the bay. Some butts can be caught inside the bay but it was hard for me last year being a noob to it. If you keep rockfish make sure you’re following the regs on those. We were stopped by the fish cops and every question was designed to open the door for you to self-incriminate. Depending on your boating experience be familiar with dropping and retrieving anchors in high tidal currents. The wind is usually pretty calm in the early morning but by noon to 1:00 it’s usually heading out of the bay making for head seas coming back in.
thanks for the notice! its things like this that I would not have really thought through until I was on the water with the situation slapping me in the face.

kaosx10

Master of KAOS
Mar 15, 2013
pinon hills, ca
Name
jeff
Boat
I'm with AKSalmon .
I did a self guided week in a different part of Alaska for halibut and the GPS on that boat was loaded with spots. I thought it was BS at first until we had limits of big fish on multiple days.

Maybe a case of beer for the local you rent the boat from will yield some areas to target.

Good luckView attachment 1112252

kaosx10

Master of KAOS
Mar 15, 2013
pinon hills, ca
Name
jeff
Boat
I talked to the owner of the boat and he did say that the chartplotter had spots pre loaded. I thought the same thing that they were probably not "the spots" that he'd fish, but the guy seemed pretty straight up. looking at the charts it seems like Seward to Montague is a 70 mile run, so its gonna be a bit of a ride to the good grounds.