Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    I just bought a boat with two Yamahas on it and would like to get them checked out before I try to go out. These are four stroke 2002 225's with 1400 hours so I'm aware of the possible corrosion issues. I want to upgrade to the new exhaust if it hasn't been replaced already. This boat has never been in salt water and spent it's entire life on Lake Michigan. I planned on just replacing the motors but they are so clean I think they are worth taking a chance on. I'm in the Tacoma area but can take it wherever a good/honest mechanic is. I know everyone is probably pretty busy this time of year but I'm not in a big hurry.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    I agree with Auburn Sports, but I they’re already booked out until mid-May already. I do like that they make drop-off appointments rather than having my boat sit in their yard.

I’ve also had good dealings with Puget Marina in Lacey/Olympia. They are (last time I dealt with them anyway) a “First-come/first-served” shop, meaning you drop off the boat, and they look at it when they can.

I was happy with the service I received from Lighthouse one time when I was in a jam.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Yamahas need a mechanic?

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Kitsap marina is the one. Dave is the best!!

Lighthouse has treated me well.

Auburn sports...major joke...

Reactions: TimeZoned
    Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the recommendations. I’ll try all of the suggestions and see who can get to it in a reasonable amount of time. As I said before, I originally planned on replacing the motors with new ones but didn’t expect them to be so pristine with 1400 hours. I also assumed they were the original motors on the boat (2002 Grady White 265 Express) but after looking at the serial numbers last night they are 2005 engines. I just need to make sure they have the upgraded exhaust and if not, have it installed. 2005 is right on the edge of when Yamaha fixed the problem so hopefully I’ll get lucky.

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    I’m dropping it off at Kitsap Marina tomorrow morning. They had a three week lead time but that should leave plenty of time for it to e done in time for Hali season so I’m good with that. Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    No need for that. I’m way too cheap to have people work on stuff I know how to fix 😁.

Upvote 0

PNW Drifter

Almost A Member
    Feb 11, 2017
    West Seattle
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Grady White Seafarer 228
    Welcome to the Grady club and the F225 club. Seems like some can have the corrosion and some don't. Freshwater is going to help your case alot I bet, fingers crossed. Mine has 1300 hours and still going strong. It helps that 600 were trolling and it was launched/recovered out of the port alberni river everytime for a good flush. It looks new but it's a 2001! Trailer boats!

If you drop the lower units and shove a hose in the pickup tube you can check pretty quick without snaking a scope way up there.

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Thanks, I’m really looking forward to getting out in the boat. The folks at Kitsap marina are going to check them both for corrosion when they change the water pumps. I just wanted a true mechanic to check everything out before I start doing stuff myself on them as I have no knowledge about four stroke outboards other than my kicker motor.

Reactions: Genie Aye
    Upvote 0