Looking for a good reel to pair

Oct 16, 2020
California Los Angeles
Name
Serg the purge
Boat
Ship happens
Hello guys I have a phenix Axis Casting Rod - HAX-820XH - the line rating is 30-80lb and I’m looking to make this my 40lb-50lb rod any good reel suggestions I mainly fish for leopard sharks and rays from the surf and pier with chunks of mackerel but I want to start doing some boat fishing I’m just getting back into fishing and so far I have a 25lb and 30lb rod and reel combo and well I’m looking for something to make my 40lb my reel budget is 600$ And as far as applications I’m looking for something to cover that basic boat applications live bait jigs bottom dropping an over all well rounded reel that I can just buy another stick for if needed I know 8’2 is a bit long as anything under 8ft is more suiting for some things I was looking at the Talica 10 two speed and the avet mxl star drag what do you guys suggest ? Or have in mind from what I might be encountering in my future trips

Last edited:

tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
More details needed to really "dial in" the best choice.
Do you have the actual model # of your rod, and the full line rating?
When you go out on boats, will it be mainly out of San Diego or?
Will the boat trips be 3/4 day, overnight, 1.5 day, or possibly longer?
Will you [mostly] be using live bait, or jigs?
You mention a reel in the $500 price range; is that your actual budget, or will you need to spend less than that [preferred price]?

Oct 16, 2020
California Los Angeles
Name
Serg the purge
Boat
Ship happens
You mention a reel in the $500 price range; is that your actual budget, or will you need to spend less than that [preferred price]?
Phenix Axis Casting Rod - HAX-820XH - 8'2" line rating is 30-80lb and I’m in the SoCal area and will be doing San Diego and Catalina and what not I’m just now getting back into fishing and I plan on doing half days to start off and into the longer trips in the future and I’ll be using it with whatever I can get away with as far as applications live bait or jigs but I do plan on using the 40lb + on this setup for the bigger fish

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Thanks for the additional info.
There is a little size difference between those models, and also one is a 2-speed lever drag, and the other a single speed star drag.
There are several threads discussing the difference, but the short version is:
Star drag= easier/further casting and simpler overall operation, generally more durable. Generally less expensive.
2-speed lever drag= smoother, more powerful, and more adjustable drag system, ability to shift gears when catching very large fish. Generally a bit more expensive.
In the Penn lineup, the size right in between the two you mention is the 25N [the MXL is a bit bigger, the TAC10 is a bit smaller].
Assuming you like a 2-speed lever drag a little better, the models to look at would be:
Fathom FTH25NLD2= around $289 retail
Torque TRQ25NLD2= around $589 retail
Assuming you like a star drag a little better, the models to look at would be:
Fathom II FTHII25NSD [6-1 gear ratio]= around $239 retail
Fathom II FTHII25NSDP [4.8-1 gear ratio]= around $239 retail

Reactions: Sergthepurge213
Oct 16, 2020
California Los Angeles
Name
Serg the purge
Boat
Ship happens
Thanks for the additional info.
There is a little size difference between those models, and also one is a 2-speed lever drag, and the other a single speed star drag.
There are several threads discussing the difference, but the short version is:
Star drag= easier/further casting and simpler overall operation, generally more durable. Generally less expensive.
2-speed lever drag= smoother, more powerful, and more adjustable drag system, ability to shift gears when catching very large fish. Generally a bit more expensive.
In the Penn lineup, the size right in between the two you mention is the 25N [the MXL is a bit bigger, the TAC10 is a bit smaller].
Assuming you like a 2-speed lever drag a little better, the models to look at would be:
Fathom FTH25NLD2= around $289 retail
Torque TRQ25NLD2= around $589 retail
Assuming you like a star drag a little better, the models to look at would be:
Fathom II FTHII25NSD [6-1 gear ratio]= around $239 retail
Fathom II FTHII25NSDP [4.8-1 gear ratio]= around $239 retail
Thanks for the reply I appreciate you I’ll go ahead and do some comparisons and go from there tight lines!!

stank

May 16, 2005
Bangkok
Name
Dave
Boat
None
I think the Talica 10 is great for 40# but might be a little small for 50#. I have the Talica 12 and it's a solid 50# reel.

I also have the Torque 25 & 30 LD2 (and a few others) and like them better. The 25 is perfect for 40 and the 30 is perfect for 50#.

If you want a 40# reel you can fish 30# or #50 on, go with the TAC10 or TRQ25LD2.

If you want a 50# reel you can fish 40# or #60 on, go with the TAQ12 or the TRQ30LD2.

I also have the Saltiga LD40 two-speed that would be a great choice as well, I like it better than the TAC but not as much as the TRQs.

Go down to a decent tackle store and actually touch them and see what you like the feel of. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

I've had a few Avets (still have one) and I'm not a fan, but a lot of guys love them.

Reactions: ysmoose

kimbo

Jun 24, 2008
orange county
Name
Batman
Boat
21' cabo
Okuma cavalla 12ii would work well for you. I use if for 40 and 50#.