Looking for a boat ride and recommendations.

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    Hey BD gang! Can some of you offer advice. I'm entertaining the idea of selling my Skipjack 24 Open and upgrading to a bigger boat. I know, crazy right! After all, my Skippy has been 100% restored top to bottom and is absolutely perfect and turn key. Some of you may have seen my restoration thread on "Playin Hookie".

Anyhow, I find myself drooling for a larger boat. I love Skipjack and I am considering the 262 model as well as the 30. I am also attracted to the Parker 28 and Blackman Billfisher 26.

I have done tons of research and reading but I am still torn between decisions and have no experience on any of these other boats. One thing that is attractive about the 26 foot boat is that I can still trailer it. However, I'm not opposed to a larger boat with more beam that lives in a marina slip.

I primarily will use the boat for fishing but want the comfort features that a larger boat offers. Wife wants a boat with a nice size salon, galley, head, etc. I want a big deck for battling fish. I also would like to be able to have up to 6 passengers comfortably at times. We plan to do more overnight trips and the Skipjack 24 Open is not ideal with a growing family. Wife is really attracted to the Skipjack 30 for the obvious reasons but they are damn near impossible to find. Is there any other boats in the 26-30 foot class (or slightly larger) that I should be looking at? Perhaps pursuit 30.

I guess the questions is: What boats would fit the bill and meet the wife's needs as well as my own? Budget is -$150K max.

Also, how much extra maintenance is involved in keeping a boat slipped.? To my understanding its zincs, bottom cleaning, ?????

If anyone has either of these boats and wouldn't mind taking me out for a ride or take me fishing with you that would be great. I always have dough on fuel, bait, etc. I would hate to make a purchasing decision and throw a bunch of cash at a boat that I'm not at all familiar with.

I'm open to diesel or outboard power. I would like to hear everyone's opinion. The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between. Help me make an educated boat purchasing decision or give me something to think about. Thanks

Last edited:
    Reactions: repo805
    Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
    Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Man… I understand where you’re at, but that skippy of yours is such a beauty. I hope to fish it with you before it moves on to its next home.

I don’t have any experience with the boats you mentioned, except for what I read here. All good choices, but hear a lot how the Parkers will pound you. Maybe the 28 isn’t as bad?

There’s a couple boats I’ve always liked the layout of in that size range.

first one is the 28' Henriques. I’ve seen a couple for sale, usually on the East coast, but they are SEXY! And within your budget.

The other, although probably older is the 29’ Phoenix. I think that one has a 10’ beam. Not sure about the Hen.

@madrugador has a 26’ Blackman Billfisher for sale. I’ll bet he’d be willing to take you for a cruise.

Last edited:
    bent rodz
    bent rodz
    I hate to sell such a perfectly running boat that's super fishy and proven but in reality the family IS wanting to go bigger. Someone will score when they purchase it. I'm sure I will have regrets too. Looking for bigger. Pretty sure my Wife and I agreed to go bigger than the 26. Something in the 30-36 foot range. Slip it is.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    I hate to sell such a perfectly running boat that's super fishy and proven but in reality the family IS wanting to go bigger. Someone will score when they purchase it. I'm sure I will have regrets too.

I think after further review and looking at the mentioned boats in person we are leaning away from the 26 foot class. We went to Kusler Yachts at Kona Kai Marina and checked out quite a few boats and now have a better idea on what we are looking for. Its also a no go on the Parkers. We looked at the Parker 2820 XLD and although it looks cool and fishy, it doesn't meet the needs in comfort creatures. I've also heard that they pound too. The Skippy 26 and Blackman 26 are cool fishy looking rigs but also a little crammed on the inside, especially if I bring along 6 people. I on everage always have at minimum 4 people with us and that will make for a crowded 26 IMO if I bring 6 peeps.

We are now looking at the Pursuit 30, Pursuit 34, Albemarle 32, Henriques 35, and others in this size range.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0