Looking for a Big Bluefin INDICATOR...

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by geebee, Sep 28, 2018.

1. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    at Sunset Cliffs there's an outside break called Indicator the surfers watch - when it breaks a bigger set is coming

1st: i'm looking for a San Diego big-bluefin indicator - what do you folks look for - w/o becoming obsessed with fish reports

best i can figure - Seaforth website is the best indicator i've found

when Seaforth fish report calls out the tuna poundages - 40 to 250lbs plus - in their report, i have a good idea they are being caught

the other landings i've found don't do that ... man what a tool that would be to drive in fishermen

2nd: it would be great, too, if they could better note the trips going for the big bluefin, Seaforth does this inconsistently - i know this is sometime a last minute decision but i haven't found a reliable way to get and confirm that info

CALL THE LANDINGS

i know most people will say call the landings, but in my small experience, the people who answer the phones don't have good information (and the small fish are always 10lbs heavier than whats being caught)

2. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Gee Bee, if you (or anyone) could ever figure out a Big Bluefin indicator, that information could be sold to the commercial fishing fleet for very big bucks!

Waves are predictable because they are driven by other forms of energy which can be observed and measured. And the land that they break against doesn't change. So if the energy source (like a storm) is putting energy into the water from a certain direction, at a certain distance, then the waves can be pretty accurately predicted.

But Bluefin, and a lot of other fish, move around the ocean following their food sources, which are driven by a whole lot of different factors. If the food stays in an area for a period of time because their own requirements are being met, then the fish that are higher up the food chain hang around too. When that food source moves along, either a different food becomes available so that the tuna continue to stay, or they move along to wherever the food is.

The offshore fleet has backed way off from dragging flying fish around in the past week or so. The tuna were eating squid for a while, now they aren't. A friend got two bluefin in the past few days and both were stuffed with red crab. And several boats have reported that sardines are being eaten again by the big fish. For now.

So you have to (A) go offshore and hunt them, and (B) bring a wide variety of things to tempt them with, and (C) keep trying. Intensely.

geebee, nmcf, Ryan_J and 1 other person like this.
  3. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    yes everything you said ... i'm using the online daily sportfishing reports as my indicator (and trip planner)

right now Seaforth is in the right direction, but they are inconsistent

it's likely there is some competitiveness and secrecy involved in online reports or it's a low priority

4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Or the news is inconsistent too?

5. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    use the landings for a hint. Find the actual boat website that you know has been doing well...Pac Queen, New Lo Ann, Vagabond etc. Call that number...sure the boat is out fishing, but a wife or boat staff will answer the phone and will know exactly what is going on and what the current plans are...to the point they will be doing the shopping for the next trip, and will know of any sudden changes in conditions or equipment the boat needs. Go to the source...

MikeyLikesIt and geebee like this.
  6. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    i'm not sure where the weak link(s) is - the boat reporting details to the landing - the landing passing the info to the web person - the person posting the text on the website

i have a good idea how news reporting works and how websites are managed

i'm just saying Seaforth is almost there

i think a good online daily fish report would be more useful to the business and a heck of a lot more profitable in attracting paying customers on the bigger fish

Aztec, for example, Seaforth's schedule will sometimes note to bring the heavy gear, and sometimes note the class of fish in their daily report - for a lazy guy like me that's a one-stop website to keep up on their news...

7. SouthBayKiller

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    A lot of the boats, not all, are active on social media.

geebee and freegaff2 like this.
  8. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    never thought of that - boat by boat - I’ll give it a look - see how useful it is - thank you

9. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    and then after you invent your "BFT Indicator", you're going to go out with a "once a year rental rodder" from fly-over country standing right next to you at the rail. Complete with Spinning gear being used upside down. Same terminal jig as whatever you are using - you may have even loaned it to him. He will then be pulling in fish after fish while you......will be standing their pulling your dick.

over-thinking this fishing-thing keep you off the water more often than not. Then when you DO analyze exactly your best singular day to go, you car will have a flat tire and you will miss the boat.

God but I love the SBs of SD.

Surfer Ed and gecsr1 like this.
  10. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    not "inventing" anything here (your word)

just talking about what I can observe and easily follow from my computer to gain some experience over the season and plan my San Diego tuna fishing trips

IMHO Seaforth online fish report is a useful indicator - like reading the beach or looking for bird signs

i say Seaforth's fish report is a useful indicator because i've noticed:
    1. the earlier they update their home page seaforthlanding-com with fish counts on the boat - the better the bite is
    2. if they don't update consistently - the bite is presumed bad (or at least it appears to be and that must affect business)
    not sure i got your points about "once a year rental rodder" and "over-thinking" as a way to reduce rail crowd on big tuna boats ... but with your 8000-plus posts you must be dedicated to sharing your knowledge and bringing those up around you

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  11. wils

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    further recommendation: stick with your current plan of attack. analyzing each and every word of how and when to fish via the internet will always work out......while actual time on the water is SO over-rated.

gecsr1, tamddo714, Surfer Ed and 3 others like this.
  12. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    I'll play a bit nicer. From home you can look at temp, chloro, wind, and swell charts. More time on the water and you'll learn what conditions will look like in the future, and what the forage situation will look like. From there you can come up with a pretty good idea with what the fish will do. You can make predictions based off patterns and then check counts and reports to see if it held any weight.

I'm still very new to offshore fishing, this is my first full season doing so. But I've been surfing quite extensively for a very long time. A lot of the patterns cross over, and my learning curve has been pretty good. I also fish with guys who're pretty accomplished, having done this since the time we all learned how to surf, and even they don't get it right all the time. Biology vs physics, physics is dependable and repeatable, biology is what the hell ever mother nature feels like at the time.

Bottom line: fish more, only way to learn.

wils likes this.
  13. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    My God, wils.............you really are the DB that many say you are. :shake:

Spearo4Life likes this.
  14. SouthBayKiller

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I think his point was: you can over plan, try to get into the best window ever and miss it. I’ve found through trial and error the best way is to just book trips and go works better than being there when it bit yesterday. The fish in my avatar picture was caught on a “rockfish” trip.
    Nailed it, especially the crossover from surfing a lot, chasing swells, looking at charts from thousands of miles away trying to forecast what will happen a week later and hoping that wind, tide, crowds, bottom contour all come together for you. Looking back on my years doing that feverishly, fishing seems easy lol.

wils, geebee and RideHPD like this.
  15. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Robert's really giving you the best advice as far as improving your fishing. If you want proof socal archives the counts. Find the best trips so far this year, then look at the days prior. I'd bet at least 40% came right after a period of subpar counts and lower rider numbers. Find the days after, usually not too great. Count chasing is especially pointless with bluefin. There are some trips that have odds stacked against them, condition-wise. If you have plenty of opportunities and/or low funds it's not bad to be selective and pick days that look better than others. But perfect windows skunk and complete shit still gets bit. You just gotta fish. I let myself be seduced by the promise too many times this year and I've paid for it each time. Like going the only day no cows were caught in a two week stretch paid for it.

Surfing's easy, I don't get skunked now unless the wind/tide windows never line up, and in those cases there wasn't a shot anywhere. At least with surfing I know what I'm going to get the night before. With fishing I have absolutely no idea. Cue: superstition.

16. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    thanks for the member's point - sarcasm has always been hard for me to follow and respond to in a conversation

i surfed the '80s (and concrete in between waves) daily - i never got very good on the water but i got good enough to surf amongst the locals and not pee them off so i guess i was at least respectful

surprisingly, as self taught midwestern squid (and no Internet), i learned more about surfing in a college oceanography class

i recall one time Del Mar was absolutely gigantic back to back sets - i paddled my brains out and couldn't get past the whitewater - i was resting on the beach when four skinny teenagers walked past me carrying short boards - they shot right

of course - they knew how to exploit a rip current for free ride - and i didn't

17. tamddo714

tamddo714 Member

Name:
    Butt Hunter
    Boat:
    Proline 23 Sport
    y=mx+b works every single time

18. wils

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    thank you, mikey.:puff:

19. wils

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    my apologies for not being direct and instead taking a circular route.

the only thing that you will learn from following "fish reports" is that they are less reliable than a ..... a weather report. In addition, the ocean - contrary to another long thread here @ BD - is not predictable. well. at least not enough to base one or two trips on via fish reports.
    As you get more time on the water, you will learn about:
    water "turning over". I cant describe the technicalities. but i know it when i see it.
    bait: "why the fuck did our bait die" is a common variable in the equation. what to now do with dead bait is another "time on the water" issue
    the current changed over night.
    moon cycles
    tide cycles
    time of day bite
    color of iron/jig/lure
    you'll learn more along the way

basically, go fishing. when you step on the boat, tell the deckie you're a newb (NOT an internet guy). ask him what worked on the trip that just came in and what he recommends for tomorrow.
    there are many reasons catch reports from a boat take dramatic swings from one day to another.....

20. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    here's what i'm talking about, can't hardly wait to see how they do...

big boys.jpg

UPDATE:

didn't see them in fish report, so i called Seaforth Tues morning

was told the Prowler left the dock but returned and cancelled the trip for some undisclosed reason

that must have been fun for the passengers...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018