Looking for 1-2 day trip out of San Diego. Which boat?

PENN

cm2020

Jun 15, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
Hi I want to take a 1, 1 1/2, or 2 day trip out of San Diego. It looks like those are going to be on the overnight boats not the long range boats. I haven't been on an overnight boat in about 15 years so I am not up on which ones are good. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am looking to go the 3rd or 4th week in July with 3 people myself, a friend, and his 18 yr son. Both myself and my friend have been on plenty of long range boats but the son has only been on half day boats. I am looking for a good crew and a comfortable boat. Any help you can give me I will appreciate.

Thanks,
Dan

Upvote 0

ExMNFisher

Jul 20, 2017
San Diego
Name
Kyle
Boat
None
There is no boat out of San Diego I did not like. I have fished the Condor, Old Glory, New Lo-Ann, and Pacifica, so I haven't fished them all, would recommend all these boats again. I would go for as many days as you can afford and for what's available.

Upvote 0

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Top Gun 80, Pacific Queen, Vagabond, Islander, New Lo An, Pacifica. all of these are comfortable and very fishy.
    these are excellent boats that you may be able to get a spot on in July. I did not include the LR boats that may have some shorter trips. But def check. Searcher, RP, Shogun, Royal Star. Check Polaris Supreme. Capt Aliyar has been killing it. Probably booked but worth a shot.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Take your pick. Any of the day+ boats out of Fishermans, Seaforth, Point Loma, or H&M will get you on the fish!

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    Look and see if the Ocean Odyssey has a trip. they have a very comfortable set up. the bunk rooms are large and spacious. They have bins for your clothes bas and gear so you do not have to have them in your bunk. The boat and crew are great the meals are outstanding. I would look at what every trip you take to make sure you take advantage of the extra half day. 1.5, 2.5 or even better if you can find a reverse 1.5, 2.5 you will enjoy that better Cheers https://www.hmlanding.com/trip-search?boatfilter=Ocean+Odyssey&duration=2.5+Days

Reactions: pascuale
    Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    Slim pickings during the July 4th holiday week with this local bite. Poseidon has open spots and only taking 24 anglers. Capt. Hunter Dennette is young but can get on the fish just like his Dad. (Keith on the Constitution) Flying down also that holiday week but I decided to split my rail time on a few overnight boats instead of a couple 1.5's. I'll fish the New Lo-An and the Mustang with hopes that the fish swim closer by then. Possibly jump on the Liberty with Taro, Anibal and Ryan if the load is light midweek. If you're not down till the third week or end of July, look for a 1.75 day boat to maximize time on the water. (2 days of fish limits) Aztec with Greg goes 7-23 on a 2 day, very fishy boat and usually sells out. (Good bunks and AC) Steve Taft on the Legend would be a good choice too. (He's got a 2.5 day that leaves 7-19) IMO the above boats are better than average and newer anglers or those getting back into it won't be too overwhelmed. Good luck when you go! 🐟

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Mike in Murrieta

Looking for a female boat owner into fat men
  • Apr 16, 2018
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Nope
    At this point any boat you can get a seat on would be a good boat.
    Excalibur, Top Gun, Tomahawk, Old Glory, etc....... some boats have more amenities, so depends what you are looking for....showers, cabins, food.....but I have never been on a boat where the crew didn't work their ass off to get you into the fish...

Reactions: pascuale
    Upvote 0