looking at the 2310; need some advise

brianv20

Jan 6, 2018
carpintria ca.
Name
Brian
Boat
wellcraft v20
I'm going to up grade boats in the first of the year and looking at the 2310 model. Something in the way of a 1990 ish to 2010, year is not quite as important as the condition. I had originally come to BD interested in skipjacks, but over the course of time my interest in fishing areas have changed some. So please hear me out, i do not want to start a debate over which hull is better. I'm simply asking which hull is better suited for my application and my style of fishing.
Most of the boats use would be in baja, i'm guessing 60% of use on the Cortez side (Mid riffs, Mulege). 30% of use on the pacific side around Mag bay. 10% would be fishing the nor cal coast (albacore).
I feel most of my time on the water is at rest, only 20% of the time on plane. So all of this has me leaning towards the modified Vee, one more thing fuel economy is also an important factor.
YOU guys who have fished or owned these two boats, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
Most 2310's are going to be outboard, some on a bracket and the older ones transom mounted....if you can find either of them for sale anywhere!

Most Skipjacks are going to be full inboard or inboard/out drive. The Skippies available are going to be all over the board as far as condition, with many being complete refits. There are exceptions to both but that is the general rule. The 2 different engine styles are going to be something you need to figure out for your personal use, as well as current condition.

2310 with a 4 stroke 250 will get a little less than 2 mpg once you get on plane. At tuna trolling speeds of 8-12 mph the mileage goes way down. Skippies will overall average just a little better but both boats are pretty heavy. I think all the 2310's are deep vee, but not positive. If you switch to a 2320 you will get a lighter hull and more deck space with most being mv, but again finding one in good condition is almost the holy grail.

Upvote 0

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    Oranges and Apples here - First off - The 262 or 24 FB skippy are a way heavier boat - They have large gas tanks, outdrives and heavy diesel or gas engines that may not be as reliable, they also only have 8 ft beams and dog house engine boxes. You need a big boy truck to tow these - since you plane to tow down to Mexico - you are gonna prefer a lighter boat. The parker 2310 is a lighter boat, could offer better MPG with a 4 stroke F250 or F300. (the key here is to buy the larger size engine for better fuel economy)The 2310 parker has a 8'6 beam, and can be towed with a 1/2 ton truck, my buddy tows his with a tacoma, Parkers dont offer much storage, but lots of deck space. The Yamaha outboards are very reliable. My vote for towing a boat into Mexico would be a Parker. If you get a Parker, must find one with a engine bracket versus the transom mount.

brianv20

Jan 6, 2018
    carpintria ca.
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    Thanks for the input so far, when i was more interested in the skippy earlier this year i thought most of my fishing would be on the northern california coast and bay. Things have changed over time and i now will have the time to do more fishing south.
    So is the 2510 the only model ( in walk around ) that offers both vee options ? I'm sure i've seen a parker 23 in a modified vee, maybe it was a PH or a CC.

J woodman, is that ture the 2310 heavier than its pilothouse brother ?

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I've never heard of a 2320 MV.

At some point in the past Parker put their boats on a diet. For example the 2320 dry weight on the old school boats was about 500 pounds heavier then those build today.

A 2320 will weigh about 6200 pounds with fuel and rigging (per Parker's performance reports). I would expect the 2310 to weigh about the same.

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
    Oct 28, 2005
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Shad Burke
    Boat
    22' Boston Whaler Guardian
    25 Parker Mod Vee in auction right now. Suppose the hull is a 1989/1990. No trailer. Been sitting some years. Connecticut. Current bid is $5,700. 28 hours left in auction.

11B11303-4020-42C7-A8A7-67E69AC61384.jpeg

Upvote 0

brianv20

Jan 6, 2018
    carpintria ca.
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    A4 i like those numbers, like them even more knowing there coming for waters similar to what i will be operating in.
    So is there anything to be looking for on a 2310, will be looking in the mid 90s to later 2000s.
    Will be doing a lot of trailering the first few years (some over the border), not sure i want a bracket. still a bit up in the air on that.

About power, i it seems the standard issue is a 225.
    I fish 2 or 3 people generally, not real heavy loads.
    Generally happy to do 24-26kts.
    I understand the benifits of running a larger outboard, but buying used may limit some.
    What should i be looking at and what should i run from.

Reactions: A^4
    Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    standard issue should be F250 on 2310, do not go any less than 250hp, you will be disappointed once you put a bait tank on there, 2 other guys, and 100-200lbs of ice.

look for cracks in the aluminum tower structure. look for gel coat cracks on pulpit. Hopefully you will get one with a bracket and not have to worry about the transom. fuel tank is a worry on those old boats. look into the wiring and the steering system, I have to go sift through problems in both of those areas in my boat. Thankfully parkers are simple boats so they are easy to work on!

Reactions: A^4
    Upvote 0

A^4

><(((°>
    Aug 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    Parker 1801(sold 2017), Parker 2310(since 2018)
    A4 i like those numbers, like them even more knowing there coming for waters similar to what i will be operating in.
    So is there anything to be looking for on a 2310, will be looking in the mid 90s to later 2000s.
    Will be doing a lot of trailering the first few years (some over the border), not sure i want a bracket. still a bit up in the air on that.

About power, i it seems the standard issue is a 225.
    I fish 2 or 3 people generally, not real heavy loads.
    Generally happy to do 24-26kts.
    I understand the benifits of running a larger outboard, but buying used may limit some.
    What should i be looking at and what should i run from.
    Generally I'm getting around 2.2mpg usually more, rarely less. That 3.0mpg was me going in pretty mellow weather.

Like big tuna said, they're pretty simple design boats. Stick your head in the bilge areas, look all around,, and give it a good sniff. Take those deck hatches out and look at and sniff the tank. Make sure there's grease on those. Good luck!

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
    Dec 8, 2006
    Ventura
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
    J woodman, is that ture the 2310 heavier than its pilothouse brother ?
    Yeah, the 2310 is a few hundred lbs. heavier than the 2320. Look at the profile of each. The pilothouse is farther forward and smaller on a 2320 than the cuddy and bridge on a 2310. More fiberglass equals more weight.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
    Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
    Oceanside Ca
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    2320 Parker
    There’s an 07 2320 with 180 hours for sale here under classifieds.
    It’s the cleanest one iver ever seen at that age.
    Looks turnkey and has a nice aluminum trailer

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Yeah, the 2310 is a few hundred lbs. heavier than the 2320. Look at the profile of each. The pilothouse is farther forward and smaller on a 2320 than the cuddy and bridge on a 2310. More fiberglass equals more weight.
    I got curious so googled it to see what I could find. Looks like the 2310 weighs in at 3700 and the 2320 @ 4100. both are dry weights. Now we know.

86CDE86E-71C6-4C92-90FB-3E5FE57B9B0F.png

Upvote 0

brianv20

Jan 6, 2018
    carpintria ca.
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    That is a very good looking boat Sueno, very well appointed.
    I like the protection of the pilot house, but in my limited experience pilot house boats with the windows raked back. Well the visibility sucks, seems there's a glare the window from the time the sun comes up til it go's down. Combined with being so low to the water, makes it difficult to see paddys.
    Got to believe the walkaround would provide much better vis.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
    Upvote 0