Looking at a new boat---need comments/advice

skiffhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom
Boat
Looking for a new one
The good news is the wife may open up the checkbook and allow me to buy a new boat. The bad news is it may have to be more "family" oriented and be a bowrider or similar sportboat.

I've been looking at the sea ray 175- saleman said he sold one to a guy who tricked it all out for fishing and uses it offshore- has a tower with outriggers, bait etc. I'm not so sure and I'd like to hear from someone who has fished one and/or owned one or similar design.

I was worried about taking water over the bow, but center console can do the same I guess. Does the ski locker work as a fish box? Anybody add bow railings or covers?

Thanks
Tom

Stanley

Pro Boat Scrubber
Nov 28, 2003
Agua Hedionda
Visit site
Name
Spooker
Boat
24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
Might work OK for near inshore and bays but I'd think twice about taking a 17 foot ski boat offshore. Sure, we all see guys in small boats on the outside, and it's no big deal...until it becomes a big deal.

I'd also be careful about giving too much credence to what a salesman claims about the capability of a small boat. I'm just sayin'...

inSTANt bendo

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 1, 2003
Temecula
Name
Stan
Boat
Outrider
saleman said
nuff said.

Ask yourself....and be painfully honest....how will I be using the boat the majority of the time? If you can't buy the boat that will get the job done the majority of the time then save your money. You'll end up frustrated and unhappy. If you can find a happy medium....go for it!

Lot's of guys have been able to serve both purposes, family and fishing, with either a center console or a dual console boat.

If you want to go offshore, do not buy a 17-18' boat! Although all captains capabilities differ, I would suggest a minimum of 20' if you want to go offshore with any kind of peace of mind.

HAROSTRAIT

Mar 19, 2007
Squish
Name
Andy
Boat
Defiance 220EX
Buy it for what you are going to use it for the most. Take the safety angle when you are convincing the wife that a bit more boat may be wise if primary use is offshore, etc... Think about the how, when and where of use,and don'tmake any hasty choices. That said, IMO Sea Ray has a good rep. as far as the hull goes uphere in Washington. The only open bow types we see are on the lakes. Is this boat you are looking at self bailing?

speedgoat

Green Bastard
Jul 26, 2006
Parts Unknown
Name
Scott
Boat
S/V Grunion
Go to the Fred Hall show in Del Mar and walk on board the boats there. There's plenty of better boats there for what you want to do. The show is going on through the weekend so you have some time to plan for it.

If you plan on taking your family out on it anyplace outstide the bay then the primary consideration is that it's seaworthy. Otherwise you should stick to the lakes and protected waters.

If your budget doesn't fit the price for the new boat that serves your intended purpose then look at something used. There's plenty of excellent used boats that have been cared for and have been upgraded with what you'd need selling for a fraction of the cost of what a new boat would cost you. A Skipjack 20' is the first thing that occurs to me but there are plenty of others as well.

That's my .02.

Surfdoc

The finger in the Dyke!
Mar 7, 2003
Bahia Asucion BCS
www.momentoffame.com
Name
Stan
Boat
Mx Panga, MOJAC
Your never gonna beat that Panga Waatoosee is selling! When I bought my boat, the wife understood, it's a fishing boat first.... wine on the bay second.

Good luck!

zigzag

Captain
Aug 6, 2005
PV / Mexico
Name
Dave
Boat
BERTRAM 35
The good news is the wife may open up the checkbook and allow me to buy a new boat. The bad news is it may have to be more "family" oriented and be a bowrider or similar sportboat.

I've been looking at the sea ray 175- saleman said he sold one to a guy who tricked it all out for fishing and uses it offshore- has a tower with outriggers, bait etc. I'm not so sure and I'd like to hear from someone who has fished one and/or owned one or similar design.

I was worried about taking water over the bow, but center console can do the same I guess. Does the ski locker work as a fish box? Anybody add bow railings or covers?

Thanks
Tom
Go to web site YACHT WORLD .com 20thousand sea rays for sale take your pick.Ask youself why????17foot to 50 foot Why????

Duramax

Captain
Dec 29, 2006
Torrance, Ca.
Name
Rene`
Boat
Cabo 216, "Goju Shiho Sho"

Thanks
Tom

Check this out, it's in the classified section. it will work great for family and fishing. I got one and I take it ocean fishing and to the lake's and the river as well.

skiffhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom
Boat
Looking for a new one
Thanks for the comments guys- I totally want a panaga--thats why I was at the FHS and saw the sea-ray- its was -plan B if she balked on the panga. Which she appears to be doing.

I'm curious how y'all would define seaworthy and what kind of charecteristics you think the boat lacks that other larger boats have. I often see people on the board saying don't take that boat out its too small, but length is not the main consideration of seaworthyness. What, if any, is the difference between a "dual console" boat and a "bowrider" except marketing? Yet a dual console wouldn't get called unseaworthy by most fisherman

DA_Beaut

Oct 15, 2006
80 miles from San Diego, Newport and LBC
Name
Robert
Boat
Yep
Sorry - i should have clarified what I meant when i said dual console so here it goes... I was referring to a Striper dual console boat. The Striper dual console is the perfect platform for offshore fishing and family cruising. It has a nice high bow, plenty of room for lounging, and gives 360 degrees of fish-a-billity. I have the 21 cuddy and have been out 60 miles hunting for paddys.

When I was searching for my boat, I looked at many different makes and models, and thought, for my money, the striper was the best all around deal (There are way better boats, but for what you get, you cant beat a striper).

Best of luck. There are a ton of boat manufacturers out there, and being that its your money, spend as you like!!!!

monster1

Typical striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
take a look below

i second that. for a fun in the sun family boat, that dual console makes a nice boat. it sure isn't a slouch either offshore as it is the same hull as either the center console or a walkaround cuddy cabin like what i have. i would be wary of anyone who would tell me that he could "rig" a 17'er with a anything that would make it worthy of going offshore. either the guy doesn't care what the hell he sells you or he doesn't know what he is talking about. either way i wouldn't buy a boat from that guy. if you are looking for a dual purpose boat then you definately need a boat with a bait tank. so cal private boat fisherman are dead in the water without live bait. don't think that a five gallon bucket with a walmart bought aerator will work. you need the right bait tank to fish offshore effectively. a fishhold is nice too but a killbag will work in a pinch. most brands such as striper, grady, proline, wellcraft should have a model to fit your needs. hands down i feel that the striper will give you the most bang for your buck. there are alot of people out there that gave up on bashing bayliners so now they do it to stripers. don't listen to that shit. every boat will have its bugs to work out. the only thing i don't like about striper is that EVERYONE owns one so they aren't really all that special. don't expect many "wow's" from other boaters because you are probably the 10th striper they saw that day! just my opinion.

Double Z

Apr 12, 2004
Outside the Orange Curtain...
www.IspendtoomuchtimeonBloodyDecks.com
Name
Harry S. Stamper
Boat
Nope
Many variables. Not just what you are wanting to do but where you want to do it and for how long. If it's all day and on the ocean, I would (and did) go walkaround. Bathroom, place to store your stuff, windshield to sit behind or complete enclosure, place to store your stuff, and, oh, it's got a bathroom. Ton's of fishing/casting room both on the deck and the bow. Even the 18' Stripper has enough room for the kids to hang out, play PlayStation or GameBoy, and oh, there's that whole getting out of the weather thing.

salmonator

Feb 3, 2007
Nor Cal
Name
Timmy D
Boat
22ft Glasier Bay Cat
tom,i ran a 23 ft sundancer for ten years and have never enjoyed a more seaworthy boat.althought it was not designed for fishing that's what i used it for and to good effect. i took out all the seats and cushions for the fishing room and strapped a 150 qt icechest on the swim platform for a fish box. they are great boats,but you need a bigger one,i'm not trying to give you boat envy,but you'll be happier with a bigger boat and so will your family.remember they are not designed for fishing so salt water clean up will need to happen every trip.
now the real advise..........there is no better "family boat" than the 26 ft glasier bay catamoran with twim 150 yamies. so,grow a pair and tell your wife what your getting.

timmy d aka salmonator

big steve

Mar 25, 2006
orange
Name
steve
Boat
2100 cc polar
take a look at the polar 2100 dc it will take you anywhere you want to go.
its a great all around boat. polarboats.com. its a very sea wourthy rig.
dont buy anything under 20ft, just my advice!

Assalt Weapon

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 15, 2004
CA
Name
Bryan
Boat
Glacier Bay 2240SX
You Can Not Compare a Salt Water Dual Console to a Bow Rider...APPLES and ORANGES...

The Striper 2101dc is probably the best value in on the Market Today. The Polor DC comes pretty close and should also be considered and has a larger bait tank.

In most cases the bait tanks are to small, fuel capacity to small, Minimum Fish Locker Layout suxs. The Price...15K-20K more in some cases Robalo, GW, BW.

For a Family Saltwater Capable Fish & Ski, it is the best out there in my opinion.
Seats up to 8 People Comfortably.
105Gallons Fuel, 27 Gallon Bait Tank that is very good, A huge fish hold 2/3 the size of a coffin. Two 40 Plus Qt Built In Ice Chest. Anchor Locker that holds over 200ft 1/2 Rode and 20ft Chain. Port Console is basically a walk in closet with a Port A Potty, Strbd Console is for storage, Safety gear, Life vests, flares etc. Raw Water and Fresh Water Wash Downs, Tons of storage room..Made for Saltwater Fishing, I have fished 4 People Offshore with out a problem.

Add a Tower Like mine, 15Rod Holders, 2 Wake Board Racks, Light, GPS/VHF Antennas. Ski Rope Attachement.

My boat runs over 45MPH, Gets over 3MPG in good conditions at 3200 RPMs. A 300 mile range. Can easily be towed by a 1/2 Ton Pickup or Medium SUV.

Seriosly, There isnt much out there that can do all of the above and at the price of the Striper.

My 8yo son and I have been 20plus miles offshore several times since Sep 06. It takes alot of time and effort to get the boat rigged properly. Its just broken in, getting the 20hr service done. Waiting for the fish to cooperate. I have no problem taken this boat 50plus miles offshore, pending weather conditions.

inSTANt bendo

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 1, 2003
Temecula
Name
Stan
Boat
Outrider
and I'll be standing on the seat, hanging on for dear life to the arch spotting the "magic paddy" like a good ho should.