Drowningman

This guys an asshole
  • Oct 25, 2020
    Temecula
    Name
    D Michael
    Boat
    A Tiny One
    ill be looking to book my first 1.5 day and taking my lady's uncle for his birthday as well
    he said he specifically would like to fish mexico for dorado and yellowtail but from my understanding this isnt the time of year for dorado fishing ?
    neither of us have passports or i would have probably just recommended doing a couple full days on the san diego for yellowtail but theyre only fishing coronado islands at the moment and passport is required.
    can i get some recommendations on a fishy 1.5 day boat out of san diego , regardless of target species
    i know the big bluefin are on the chew right now but not sure how realistic that is on a 1.5 day

ty for any help and information.

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
    Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    No Passport? your going to need to move up the line, Newps, Dana point, LB or pedro.
    Or your both stuck on the half day out of SD.

• Wink Face
    Reactions: Drowningman
    Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    American Angler has a ton of spots on upcoming trips as do some of the other boats. They are more than 12 miles off of Ensenada where they are fishing right now. So, none are requiring passports. Check the schedules of the landings to be sure on the other boats.

Upvote 0

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
  • Oct 25, 2020
    Temecula
    Name
    D Michael
    Boat
    A Tiny One
    No Passport? your going to need to move up the line, Newps, Dana point, LB or pedro.
    Or your both stuck on the half day out of SD.
    not at all. almost every 1.5 - 3 day trip is fishing down south without passport requirements at the moment . just trying to see what the best choice is out of seaforth, fishermans , or h&m

im looking for tribute or tomahawk but wanted to see how people feel about their personal recommendation first

Upvote 0

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
  • Oct 25, 2020
    Temecula
    Name
    D Michael
    Boat
    A Tiny One
    these are what i have listed for potential boats at the moment, any feedback would be rad
    1619044434265.png

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
    Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    not at all. almost every 1.5 - 3 day trip is fishing down south without passport requirements at the moment . just trying to see what the best choice is out of seaforth, fishermans , or h&m

im looking for tribute or tomahawk but wanted to see how people feel about their personal recommendation first
    Yesir, my bad I forgot about the 12 mile line. Both those boats are kick ass. Getcha some.

Upvote 0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Albany, Oregon
    Name
    Rayan
    Boat
    Cutwater 26 "Habibi's Absolute R&R"
    Shogun, Polaris Supreme, Intrepid would be my top pics if I were able to jump on a trip. Truthfully I've only fished the Shogun and love that boat and crew, I've got a bluefin on each trip I've done with them and most important of all had a lot of fun. Other boats I'd consider would be Pac Queen and Old Glory but the level of comfort, food etc on the long range boats is hard to beat.

Reactions: tom fowlks
    Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    these are what i have listed for potential boats at the moment, any feedback would be rad
    View attachment 1273591
    Shogun is a long range boat. So, that would be my choice because of better food, crew and accommodations. PQ and Pacifica if you want a lower cost with bunk rooms. They will likely all be full too, Lighter loads are nice. So, Shogun all day and twice on Sunday. Seaforth is free parking though.

Upvote 0

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
    Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
    All the boats mentioned will put you on the fish. Since it's your first 1.5 day, check out one of the big boats. There's not a better, fishier operation in SD than the American Angler, Polaris Supreme has been slaying, and the Shogun is a solid choice too.

Upvote 0

yrd

BS on no pics ..!.,
    Jun 14, 2009
    Flux
    Name
    Ted
    Boat
    anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
    get a passport, eventually you will need one. Better to have than not...JMO

Upvote 0

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
  • Oct 25, 2020
    Temecula
    Name
    D Michael
    Boat
    A Tiny One
    All the boats mentioned will put you on the fish. Since it's your first 1.5 day, check out one of the big boats. There's not a better, fishier operation in SD than the American Angler, Polaris Supreme has been slaying, and the Shogun is a solid choice too.
    which landing is american angler out of

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    There are a lot of great choices on your list. If you are both inexperienced, I would recommend the Shogun, Polaris Supreme or Intrepid. They will have. higher level of service for newer anglers. Other boats like the Pac queen are outstanding as well, but they have a larger load, and more things to deal with, therefore they have less time to help individuals who may be newer to offshore. In general, the BFT and YT are the best game in town, it's what you will be fishing for. Good luck and report back on your trip!

Reactions: tunacraze
    Upvote 0

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
  • Oct 25, 2020
    Temecula
    Name
    D Michael
    Boat
    A Tiny One
    im pretty sure i have most of the gear covered but might need to rent one or two setups for the uncle aside from what ill be lending him for the trip.
    american angler seems like an awesome operation , boat is huge from what im seeing in photos.
    i really am leaning toward shogun at this point ive never heard more good things for an operation catering to anglers of different skill levels and this will be the case for sure.
    im primarily a fresh water fisherman but over the last year ive dove head first into fishing saltwater having done probably 30 half days and a few full day trips chartered aside from going with buddies on their personal boats and just rolling with it lol .

Reactions: rayancarter
    Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    When you get your passport, consider also asking for a "Passport Card." It is a few bucks extra but you can carry it in your wallet -- good only for SURFACE transit Mex/USA/Canada but won't be ruined if it gets wet on the boat.
    It works fine for fishing in Mex waters and returning to a US port.

For really Long Range many-day fishing trips take the paper passport in case you need to medevac back on an airplane.
    (( Or, I guess you could just show-up at the US border and get a no-questions-asked Biden entry? ))

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Go Big or go Home. The Intrepid hands down. Pure Luxury! The food out of this world! Everything on that boat has been done in the past 3 years, It looks like a new boat New Engines, new paint, new carpet, etc (Go on their website for all the details. The Captain (Bill and Sam) have be doing Great on getting the Bluefin on the NIGHT bites, All meals included, No fuel surcharge, All your Permits are Included (Except Ca fishing license, If they fish Ca waters) in the Price! The boat has loaner gear for free (all you pay is the line fill up, appx $10.00, You must tell them in advance you need loaner rods/reels. They Just added a few 1.5 day trips to their schedule (lots of room on a few trips and, If you book now, you have a great chance of getting on of the bigger staterooms) ALSO The biggest thing that stands out is the New trips they just added will DEPART AT 11:00am, So they can get to the Blue fin grounds so they can fish the Night Bite and fish the following day. So technically your getting close to a two day trip. Most of the other 1.5 day trips depart between 600-800pm. Take a look at it!!

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Go Big or go Home. The Intrepid hands down. Pure Luxury! The food out of this world! Everything on that boat has been done in the past 3 years, It looks like a new boat New Engines, new paint, new carpet, etc (Go on their website for all the details. The Captain (Bill and Sam) have be doing Great on getting the Bluefin on the NIGHT bites, All meals included, No fuel surcharge, All your Permits are Included (Except Ca fishing license, If they fish Ca waters) in the Price! The boat has loaner gear for free (all you pay is the line fill up, appx $10.00, You must tell them in advance you need loaner rods/reels. They Just added a few 1.5 day trips to their schedule (lots of room on a few trips and, If you book now, you have a great chance of getting on of the bigger staterooms) ALSO The biggest thing that stands out is the New trips they just added will DEPART AT 11:00am, So they can get to the Blue fin grounds so they can fish the Night Bite and fish the following day. So technically your getting close to a two day trip. Most of the other 1.5 day trips depart between 600-800pm. Take a look at it!!
    There might be a way around it if calling to pay for this one, but the online ticket purchase requires passport information.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Shogun was what we decided to go with . I’ll be reporting back with info

Had a great time on that rig a couple weeks ago. Capt. René will put you in the fish. He’s not one to overstate things, so if the boat stops, be ready to get after it. And if you hear him say tell the crew to throw a few Wilsons, be ready to really get after it!

Upvote 0