Longfin Tackle disappointment

bigpapa

May 17, 2007
california
Name
al
Boat Name
none
As a Southern California resident, I try to keep my tackle buying $$$ local. I buy my gear local because I believe those local shops provide a greater benifit to the SCal fishing industry than, let's say an online tackle store out of Florida. However, sometimes, it's really hard to do. So, I have a Shimano Spinning reel that needed cleaning and maybe some bearing replaced. Basspro can do this via mail. No probs. So can many other online tackle shops. Just fill out the form, mail them the reel and $20- later +parts, they mail the reel back. However, like I said, I like to keep things local So, this morning I drove on down 40 miles each way, to Longfin Tackle. After all, their website says they can repair 'any reel'. I could also mail the reel, but, hey, any excuse to actually be in a tackle store...and maybe find more tackle that I just can't live without....$. So, I fight traffic for an hour, walk in to the store and start to tell the counter person what I need done to the reel. He stops me. "Unfortunately, our repair guy doesn't do Spinning reels". Dead silence and probably a blank stare from me....then me " that would have been something that should be posted on your website, wouldn't you agree?" Him "I'm sorry, I don't do the website". Me "Ok, wrong response, I don't do Longfin Tackle". Yea, I get it, I'm just some PO'd fisherman that was also pissed because of the 1 hour drive down, and now the 1 hour drive back. But, I'm also a money spending SOB when I buy tackle. Shopping local, particularly for specialized products, that are usually less money and far easier to buy online, is difficult enough. Well, al least I know where not to go. Rant over.

Upvote 0

bigpapa

May 17, 2007
california
Name
al
Boat Name
none
Man a Longfin fan and have very rarely been disappointed after more than 20 years of spending money there. I don't know of any of their sales staff that doesn't fish and more importantly will tell you the truth about gear options. Quick question, why wouldn't you call before embarking on an 80 mile journey?

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat Name
    Chips N Guac
    The sales folks at the Shimano sales are most likely Shimano people. I agree they are jokes.

The guy was a full-time worker at The Longfin. The actual Shimano person was very helpful.

It went way past a joke. The guy followed me around the shop critiquing my rod choices, even as the Shimano guy was helping me. When the Longfin employee finally left us alone, the Shimano guy said "I don't know what that guy's problem was".

Reactions: FINADDICT*
    Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat Name
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Where did you see that they repair “any” reel. I was unable to find that on their website. I did find this....

“ We offer rod and reel repair and servicing as well as reel upgrades to improve their performance.”

Reactions: FINADDICT*
    Upvote 0

enfish

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat Name
    Grady White 208
    The art of talking to people on the phone has been lost. This is a common conversation at my office.

Me: Employee, did you talk to the customer?
    Employee: They haven't responded to my email.
    Me: See that thing on your desk right there, that's called a telephone. Did you try calling the customer?
    Employee: [blank stare]
    Me: Why don't you try calling them now...
    Employee (2 minutes later): Spoke to customer, here's the answer...

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    the far reaches of crazy
    Name
    Boat Name
    toy
    The art of talking to people on the phone has been lost. This is a common conversation at my office.

Me: Employee, did you talk to the customer?
    Employee: They haven't responded to my email.
    Me: See that thing on your desk right there, that's called a telephone. Did you try calling the customer?
    Employee: [blank stare]
    Me: Why don't you try calling them now...
    Employee (2 minutes later): Spoke to customer, here's the answer...

yep.

Text messages and email. The art of conversation has been lost. God help them if they have to talk face to face.

Upvote 0

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
    Atlanta GA
    Name
    Tim Turis
    Boat Name
    n/a
    I haven’t lived in SOCAL since 1978 and as a result, most of my tackle purchases in the 1980s and early/mid 1990s (before the Internet) were done via phone/credit card from ads I saw in Western Outdoor News. Most of these purchases were from Art’s Tackle in Gardena ,Yo’s Tackle in Gardena, and The Longfin in Orange. Jon Minami was my point of contact at Arts, Yo Yoshida at Yo’s, and Eric Miller at The Longfin.

I have dealt with Eric since 1990 or 1991 and our paths actually crossed on a 16 day trip on the Excel in November/December 1992. I didn’t know until a week or so into the trip that the Eric I was on the boat with was the same Eric that I’d been dealing with on the phone at The Longfin! Small world!

I will not address the issues the OP brought up as I was not there, but it sounds like perhaps a phone call might have prevented the issue. But what I can address is my personal experiences with The Longfin and Eric Miller. For 28+ years, The Longfin has been great to deal with and it starts with Eric Miller. Eric is the day to day manager (and I believe to be one of the owners). He has always been knowledgeable, helpful, and I’ve never had a less than a good experience with him or The Longfin. His tackle knowledge is like nothing that I’ve ever seen (Rick Maxa at Fisherman’s Landing Tackle is also exceptionally knowledgeable). Whether it be rods, reels, jigs, terminal tackle, or accessories, fresh or saltwater, local or long range, he knows fishing tackle. His customer service is first class and is as good as anyone with whom I’ve dealt. Given my experience with Eric, I’m certain that given the opportunity, he would have satisfactorily addressed the OPs concerns on the spot.

Living out of state I don’t have a tackle store that I can call my “local” store, but I never make a trip to SOCAL for one of my long range trips that I don’t stop into The Longfin for my last minute tackle purchases.

TT

p.s. Ken’s Custom Reels in Oceanside is my other “go to” tackle shop. Great service and great guys!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    I haven’t lived in SOCAL since 1978 and as a result, most of my tackle purchases in the 1980s and early/mid 1990s (before the Internet) were done via phone/credit card from ads I saw in Western Outdoor News. Most of these purchases were from Art’s Tackle in Gardena ,Yo’s Tackle in Gardena, and The Longfin in Orange. Jon Minami was my point of contact at Arts, Yo Yoshida at Yo’s, and Eric Miller at The Longfin.

I have dealt with Eric since 1990 or 1991 and our paths actually crossed on a 16 day trip on the Excel in November/December 1992. I didn’t know until a week or so into the trip that the Eric I was on the boat with was the same Eric that I’d been dealing with on the phone at The Longfin! Small world!

I will not address the issues the OP brought up as I was not there, but it sounds like perhaps a phone call might have prevented the issue. But what I can address is my personal experiences with The Longfin and Eric Miller. For 28+ years, The Longfin has been great to deal with and it starts with Eric Miller. Eric is the day to day manager (and I believe to be one of the owners). He has always been knowledgeable, helpful, and I’ve never had a less than a good experience with him or The Longfin. His tackle knowledge is like nothing that I’ve ever seen (Rick Maxa at Fisherman’s Landing Tackle is also exceptionally knowledgeable). Whether it be rods, reels, jigs, terminal tackle, or accessories, fresh or saltwater, local or long range, he knows fishing tackle. His customer service is first class and is as good as anyone with whom I’ve dealt. Given my experience with Eric, I’m certain that given the opportunity, he would have satisfactorily addressed the OPs concerns on the spot.

Living out of state I don’t have a tackle store that I can call my “local” store, but I never make a trip to SOCAL for one of my long range trips that I don’t stop into The Longfin for my last minute tackle purchases.

TT

p.s. Ken’s Custom Reels in Oceanside is my other “go to” tackle shop. Great service and great guys!
    X2

Upvote 0

Migolito

Apr 25, 2019
    SCal
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    None
    Shimano Baitrunner 3500b. It's an oldie, but, a goody. I have a lot of history with this particular reel (my son found it with an attached rod while diving at two-harbors and it has caught many many fish). So, no, as some suggest, I didn't want to buy another, and no, as some suggest, I didn't want to take it apart myself and screw it up. Niether of which is the point. As far as calling ahead...I'm not sure how to answer that. Thier website states they are open @ 10am. Should I have called ahead to confirm that infact they actually open @ 10am before I began the drive? Some would do just that, they also flick the lights on as they enter a room 4 times, counting each time, and never step on a crack. I get it. No, my complaint wasn't about the good old days of The Longfin, or, the knowledge of the guy behind the counter. My complaint was in 2019 IF you're going to run a business and have a web presence...make sure your site it current. And if it's not, and a customer comes in don't, as an employee, state that 'you don't do the website'. I'll leave this at that.

Reactions: bayfisher86
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Shimano Baitrunner 3500b. It's an oldie, but, a goody. I have a lot of history with this particular reel (my son found it with an attached rod while diving at two-harbors and it has caught many many fish). So, no, as some suggest, I didn't want to buy another, and no, as some suggest, I didn't want to take it apart myself and screw it up. Niether of which is the point. As far as calling ahead...I'm not sure how to answer that. Thier website states they are open @ 10am. Should I have called ahead to confirm that infact they actually open @ 10am before I began the drive? Some would do just that, they also flick the lights on as they enter a room 4 times, counting each time, and never step on a crack. I get it. No, my complaint wasn't about the good old days of The Longfin, or, the knowledge of the guy behind the counter. My complaint was in 2019 IF you're going to run a business and have a web presence...make sure your site it current. And if it's not, and a customer comes in don't, as an employee, state that 'you don't do the website'. I'll leave this at that.
    It opens at 10, for sure

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat Name
    Seahawk II
    Shimano Baitrunner 3500b...

Here you go with a tutorial found for a bigger model; hopefully it will be close enough:
    https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=995.0

About the same complexity of the Okuma CD65, CD90, and the Fin Nor FST60. Did successful rebuilds for each of these; I documented the one for the FST60:
    https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15870.0

Bottom line is if I can do it...anyone can too...as long as they are fully committed and diligently take step-by-step photos along the way.

Reactions: Gouryella
    Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Let your fingers do the walkin'.

Never guess.

Ask if they have what you want.

Make sure to have them check and if possible, hold it for you.

Get the salespersons name

Reactions: bigpapa
    Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat Name
    19"Gregor
    Even if the employee did do the website it does not state they will do any reel . It states email for a quote .
    I imagine you could have called also ,but you chose not to . Your long drive is on you and your online rant about a stand up business is uncalled for IMHO .

Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
    Jul 22, 2008
    California
    Name
    Fingers
    Boat Name
    Finaddict*
    The Longfin is one of my favorite tackle stores, been shopped there for 10+ years, yes, I've seen many new faces at the register counter almost every other time I stop by, except for Erick, very cool guy with good knowledge. Don't know if he's the owner or manager there, but I would grab him up if have any questions.
    For Sure

Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
    Jul 22, 2008
    California
    Name
    Fingers
    Boat Name
    Finaddict*
    The guy was a full-time worker at The Longfin. The actual Shimano person was very helpful.

It went way past a joke. The guy followed me around the shop critiquing my rod choices, even as the Shimano guy was helping me. When the Longfin employee finally left us alone, the Shimano guy said "I don't know what that guy's problem was".

Honestly Ive been trying to stay outa this 1 but Erik and Blue fin Jim are awesome!!! IMO!! Great store They have always helped me, to the fullest extent! Even Seth, not sure if he’s still there but really nice kid and knew his shit!!! Erik and bluefin Jim, great guys with plenty of fishing stories to back it up!!
    Ok now’s where I say what I have to say- if the employee u speak of wouldn’t have followed u arouond as you say, would it have been “ there customer service sucks because nobody would help me? I like when I go to a tackle store and all I see are thousand of fishing rods, it can be a little overwhelming so I like them to be honest to there best ability of which 1’s are good and the 1’s that are maybe not so much. Gotta start somewhere with that good old fashion customer service. I’m sure the kid was doing the best he could and everyone deserves a second chance.
    Longfin, very much as classy as Melton’s , just way more stuff I can afford ha ha. Sorry u had a bad experience !!!Give em another shot.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat Name
    Chips N Guac
    Honestly Ive been trying to stay outa this 1 but Erik and Blue fin Jim are awesome!!! IMO!! Great store They have always helped me, to the fullest extent! Even Seth, not sure if he’s still there but really nice kid and knew his shit!!! Erik and bluefin Jim, great guys with plenty of fishing stories to back it up!!
    Ok now’s where I say what I have to say- if the employee u speak of wouldn’t have followed u arouond as you say, would it have been “ there customer service sucks because nobody would help me? I like when I go to a tackle store and all I see are thousand of fishing rods, it can be a little overwhelming so I like them to be honest to there best ability of which 1’s are good and the 1’s that are maybe not so much. Gotta start somewhere with that good old fashion customer service. I’m sure the kid was doing the best he could and everyone deserves a second chance.
    Longfin, very much as classy as Melton’s , just way more stuff I can afford ha ha. Sorry u had a bad experience !!!Give em another shot.

I knew my experience was unique because Longfin has a great reputation. I don't think the shop as a whole or all its employees are bad. I don't think any shop is like that...they'd be out of business quite soon.

I know who talked to me like that, and I know the personality type: Mr. I Know Everything. I promise you, I was just talking to Shimano guy next to the rod racks and this guy just butt in.

I stop by once in a blue moon if I have time to kill. But since I've got other shops closer to me, they get all my business. If you guys want a hometown, family feel, I suggest you visit Hogan's at Dana Point.

Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
    Jul 22, 2008
    California
    Name
    Fingers
    Boat Name
    Finaddict*
    I knew my experience was unique because Longfin has a great reputation. I don't think the shop as a whole or all its employees are bad. I don't think any shop is like that...they'd be out of business quite soon.

I know who talked to me like that, and I know the personality type: Mr. I Know Everything. I promise you, I was just talking to Shimano guy next to the rod racks and this guy just butt in.

I stop by once in a blue moon if I have time to kill. But since I've got other shops closer to me, they get all my business. If you guys want a hometown, family feel, I suggest you visit Hogan's at Dana Point.
    Pm sent

Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
    Jul 22, 2008
    California
    Name
    Fingers
    Boat Name
    Finaddict*

:hali_ruahahaha:

Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
    Jul 22, 2008
    California
    Name
    Fingers
    Boat Name
    Finaddict*
    He is the manager, and I think his wife is related to the owner, and the one know it all
    Is Jim , and he is out with a health issue.
    He is really rough around the edges.

Rough around the edge’s? All my best to bluefin Jim and hopes and prayers for a quick and speedy recovery ...

Last edited:
    Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0