Longfin Tackle disappointment

Migolito

Apr 25, 2019
SCal
Name
Mike
Boat Name
None
As a Southern California resident, I try to keep my tackle buying $$$ local. I buy my gear local because I believe those local shops provide a greater benifit to the SCal fishing industry than, let's say an online tackle store out of Florida. However, sometimes, it's really hard to do. So, I have a Shimano Spinning reel that needed cleaning and maybe some bearing replaced. Basspro can do this via mail. No probs. So can many other online tackle shops. Just fill out the form, mail them the reel and $20- later +parts, they mail the reel back. However, like I said, I like to keep things local So, this morning I drove on down 40 miles each way, to Longfin Tackle. After all, their website says they can repair 'any reel'. I could also mail the reel, but, hey, any excuse to actually be in a tackle store...and maybe find more tackle that I just can't live without....$. So, I fight traffic for an hour, walk in to the store and start to tell the counter person what I need done to the reel. He stops me. "Unfortunately, our repair guy doesn't do Spinning reels". Dead silence and probably a blank stare from me....then me " that would have been something that should be posted on your website, wouldn't you agree?" Him "I'm sorry, I don't do the website". Me "Ok, wrong response, I don't do Longfin Tackle". Yea, I get it, I'm just some PO'd fisherman that was also pissed because of the 1 hour drive down, and now the 1 hour drive back. But, I'm also a money spending SOB when I buy tackle. Shopping local, particularly for specialized products, that are usually less money and far easier to buy online, is difficult enough. Well, al least I know where not to go. Rant over.

Upvote 0

robaire

Angler
  • Jul 22, 2013
    Menifee, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Not necessarily true Mark.
    I've taken a couple of spinning reels there twice and both times they said they couldn't work on it.
    The bright side for one reel was they just gave me a brand new reel.
    The other went into the trash can.

I would call first Mike and ask the question.

Robert

I forgot to mention that my Sister lives 2 miles from there so it was no big deal to head over there from Menifee.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    As a Southern California resident, I try to keep my tackle buying $$$ local. I buy my gear local because I believe those local shops provide a greater benifit to the SCal fishing industry than, let's say an online tackle store out of Florida. However, sometimes, it's really hard to do. So, I have a Shimano Spinning reel that needed cleaning and maybe some bearing replaced. Basspro can do this via mail. No probs. So can many other online tackle shops. Just fill out the form, mail them the reel and $20- later +parts, they mail the reel back. However, like I said, I like to keep things local So, this morning I drove on down 40 miles each way, to Longfin Tackle. After all, their website says they can repair 'any reel'. I could also mail the reel, but, hey, any excuse to actually be in a tackle store...and maybe find more tackle that I just can't live without....$. So, I fight traffic for an hour, walk in to the store and start to tell the counter person what I need done to the reel. He stops me. "Unfortunately, our repair guy doesn't do Spinning reels". Dead silence and probably a blank stare from me....then me " that would have been something that should be posted on your website, wouldn't you agree?" Him "I'm sorry, I don't do the website". Me "Ok, wrong response, I don't do Longfin Tackle". Yea, I get it, I'm just some PO'd fisherman that was also pissed because of the 1 hour drive down, and now the 1 hour drive back. But, I'm also a money spending SOB when I buy tackle. Shopping local, particularly for specialized products, that are usually less money and far easier to buy online, is difficult enough. Well, al least I know where not to go. Rant over.
    I spent a lot of money at the long fin, and they know what’s going on because most of them,
    Fish, next time try calling first before you drive, it could of saved you a trip.

Upvote 0

MEF_66

Jul 22, 2014
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    Ranger 2510
    I have been going to the Longfin for years, yes they have had a turn over in employees. I am a little surprised that they did not let you know that Shimano is a short drive over to Irvine and they will repair the reel.
    None the less, I have visited most local shops in LA/C and well Longfin is still the best shop from my perspective.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    I've never been disappointed at the Longfin.

Upvote 0

Iron Rod

I'm here for you grass hopper
    Aug 14, 2012
    Long beach
    Name
    Mack
    Boat Name
    All off them. Usually.
    Shit all my Blue ,Green and Red Newels came from longfin . But yes it's More of a GUCCI shop ! Yess they have everything but the are not saveon or islands or Richars or performance or vastitude or Caivos these are True shops Long fin is more like Melton tackle locally .Go to Savon or Richards especially for coffee grinder gear.

Reactions: FINADDICT*
    Upvote 0

red_eyez

Broke but love to fish..
    Aug 5, 2008
    OC
    Name
    kevin
    Boat Name
    The one I paid at Landing
    The Longfin is one of my favorite tackle stores, been shopped there for 10+ years, yes, I've seen many new faces at the register counter almost every other time I stop by, except for Erick, very cool guy with good knowledge. Don't know if he's the owner or manager there, but I would grab him up if have any questions.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat Name
    Chips N Guac
    In the minority here: I've had unpleasant experiences, mostly due to guys who act like they're the only ones who know how to fish.

I had one guy during the Shimano sale tell me he fishes competitions so he knows more than me.

I was like the ones anyone can join if they pay money?

Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
    Aug 17, 2006
    TORRANCE
    Name
    DAVE
    Boat Name
    SOLD IT
    Go to Island Fishing Tackle in Carson. Your welcome:D

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    The Longfin is one of my favorite tackle stores, been shopped there for 10+ years, yes, I've seen many new faces at the register counter almost every other time I stop by, except for Erick, very cool guy with good knowledge. Don't know if he's the owner or manager there, but I would grab him up if have any questions.
    He is the manager, and I think his wife is related to the owner, and the one know it all
    Is Jim , and he is out with a health issue.
    He is really rough around the edges.

Upvote 0

vipertom1970

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    Sorry for your bad experience with LF. They are my go to store and I found them to be very helpful for tackle needs but I don’t use them for reel service.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat Name
    Intrepid
    He is the manager, and I think his wife is related to the owner, and the one know it all
    Is Jim , and he is out with a health issue.
    He is really rough around the edges.

Learn to cast a conventional reel,Problem solved!

In some situations a spinner will outcast and outfish a conventional.....our last 8 day the people with spinners outfished the folks with conventionals at least 2 to 1.....why just have screwdrivers when sometimes the right tool is pair of pliers....lol

Reactions: dh515
    Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat Name
    I know a couple guys...
    As a Southern California resident, I try to keep my tackle buying $$$ local. I buy my gear local because I believe those local shops provide a greater benifit to the SCal fishing industry than, let's say an online tackle store out of Florida. However, sometimes, it's really hard to do. So, I have a Shimano Spinning reel that needed cleaning and maybe some bearing replaced. Basspro can do this via mail. No probs. So can many other online tackle shops. Just fill out the form, mail them the reel and $20- later +parts, they mail the reel back. However, like I said, I like to keep things local So, this morning I drove on down 40 miles each way, to Longfin Tackle. After all, their website says they can repair 'any reel'. I could also mail the reel, but, hey, any excuse to actually be in a tackle store...and maybe find more tackle that I just can't live without....$. So, I fight traffic for an hour, walk in to the store and start to tell the counter person what I need done to the reel. He stops me. "Unfortunately, our repair guy doesn't do ...

You are right and I would be just as pissed. If the website says they can repair 'any reel', you shouldnt have to call to make sure that includes spinning reels. Some of these fuckwads would be happy to have you mail a letter too.

It doesnt matter how easy or how hard it is to service a reel yourself. There's just some tasks that I don't want to do or that I don't want to spend my valuable time doing. Repairing or servicing reel is one of those tasks for me personally. The cost to do it it's so affordable and I know it'll get done right by a professional . The last thing I need when I get bent on a big one is for my shity repair service to cause the reel to malfunction or not perform to its full capabilities.

Now... that said... I did go to the longfin website and I did not see where they said they would repair any reel. https://www.thelongfin.com/fishing-reel-repair-en.html.html

Good Customer Service is hard to find. Thats not my department shit is weak at best. People in customer service positions should at minimum take the approach that your input is valuable and that they will try to get the information and input to the people that are over that department. Like these other guys said let your money do the speaking and go to a different Tackle Shop or do it online.

People wonder why tackle shops like this are closing more and more. Shoot there's a post on this forum right now that talks about a tackle shop closing. It's a dying trade but great customer service would go really far in my opinion.

Just yesterday I went to B&F Rod and Reel in Ontario to see Buff and Lonnie. I took about 10 old rods with me just to see if they were worth the effort to rebuild, sell, etc. Buff spent 45 minutes of his time going through each one of the rods and teaching me about them and giving me advice. Turns out the guys on this forum were correct in that they weren't really valuable or worth the cost to repair for me personally.

Buff told me that I can sell them there on consignment but I decided to give all but one to the shop because it wasn't really worth my time to follow up on them and what not.

After that Buff said he would repair my rod guide for free. He also gave me a killer deal on a complete rebuild of a rare rod that he personally had never seen that type of label on before. He has been building rods for his whole life. His mom passed away a couple of years ago and she was rapping rods at 105 or 106 years old still.

This is why I drive 45 minutes to that tackle shop. That is why I always buy more than I need their and that is why I will keep going back to that tackle shop until they close their doors which I hope is a really really long time from now.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    I have been going to the Longfin for years, yes they have had a turn over in employees. I am a little surprised that they did not let you know that Shimano is a short drive over to Irvine and they will repair the reel.
    None the less, I have visited most local shops in LA/C and well Longfin is still the best shop from my perspective.

Just an FYI about Shimano service center in Irvine. They won't sell parts to walk in customers.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0