jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
I have a few bait coupons left from the mid-late 70's, they remind me of being dropped off to fish the pier or taking ride out to the barge. When I was done, I would drop a dime in the pay phone and my mom would pick me up at the base of the pier. Different times.
~71-72, the stepmom of a neighbor kid would haul us down to the pier.
She was the one taught me how to fish a slider rig.
She took us out for my first time on the barge.
I start tying on a weight for slider fishing and she s'plained to me we don't fish sliders on the barge. That's when I learned about flylining.

Only took a couple trips to learn the ropes before I was ready to solo.
Mom would drop me off at the pier in the morning, with a sack lunch and a dime.

Did the barge a couple times, then I wanted to go on a boat... Enterprise, I think? $5.00 for all day.
Anyway, mom wasn't comfortable with me going alone so she bought a ticket too. Mom got so seasick that trip she never volunteered to accompany me again.

After that, she'd drop me off with $5 for the ticket, a sack lunch, (sometimes a buck for the jackpot*), and a dime.
I'd catch a sack of rock fish, drag it to the cleaning station to fillet them, then hoof it to the pay phone.

We had an arrangement on the phone call. I'd call, let it ring once, then hang up. That would be the signal to come get me and I'd get the dime back for next time. Never occurred to me what if she didn't hear the ring... she never missed it.

* The times I got a buck for jackpot, mom insisted I'd have to split my winnings with her if I won. I'm sure I agreed to the terms at the time.
Only time I recall winning, I pulled out the wad of ones on the car ride home and showed her. She said where's my cut?
What? I don't recall ever agreeing to that!

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
Seal was my place too, surfed there in jr high (I'm 62 now, do that math) and fished on the Enterprise when it was docked there.

I watched it burn from the parking lot a few years ago.....whenever that was.

Just went and did that same walk on the now short pier last Friday.
Always a special place for me as well.
The fire ended my day trip fishing and got me fishing overnites out of berth 55.

Upvote 0

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
Learned to surf in the early 60's at Ray Bay and Crabs. Still remember jumping off my board and cutting my big toe on a broken bottle. 9 stitches later I was good to go. Also remember stopping and fishing Bonito on my way to CSULB in that channel. Lived in HB during that time. Drove the coast to school and too many times missed classes to surf or fish. Fond memories.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    I moved to Long Beach (4th Street and Redondo) in 1991 and fell in love with Seal Beach after swimming and fishing Long Beach (Cherry Beach). Seal Beach felt (and was) so much cleaner, plus the waves were so much bigger than I'd ever seen at that time.

My buddies and I all had monthly Long Beach Transit bus passes and would either skateboard or take the bus everywhere. I could write a book about all the crazy shit we would see on the bus. There was a lot of gangs in LB in the 90's (Crips/Longos usually) and homeless (still a lot of homeless). Got robbed for the little money we had a couple of times, got a gun pulled once, and we'd somehow find a way to sit next to the smelliest homeless people.

We would take the 131 from Redondo Blvd all the way to the bus stop on Main Street in Seal beach. Skateboard under foot and Boogie Boards under arm with a backpack with a towel and wetsuit. We'd take the first bus to Seal and take the last bus home. I recall missing that last bus more than a few times and had one hell of a skate home to LB.

Remember wishing I was cool enough to hang with the South Side Locals that hung under the pier and eventually was accepted. Was cool to go to the beach and always knowing someone would be there.

Didn't fish there a ton but caught mostly macks when we did. South Side got gnarly pretty often and pushed me to my limit especially when a big set would come in and a bunch of people would whistle, hoot, and holler with all eyes on you. Dont be a bitch and puss out...catching barrels the size of a VW bus, usually close outs but every once in a while that side wave would create a huge A-frame that would open up and let you out. Cheers and high 5s from the locals was the best.

Learned how to shoot the pier, would jump off the pier often (gotta time it right on low tide). I even saved a kids life night surfing a huge swell (boy fell off the pier). Only a couple guys out in the middle that night. I thought the people yelling on the pier saw a shark until one of them yelled "He's over here". I paddled over, found a little boy (about 4 or 5 years old fully clothed in jeans). Put him on my board until a surfer came over on a long board and took him in. No way I would have been able to get the kid in on my body board. Never saw the kid or the surfer after that as I stayed out catching those big waves.

Loved Nick's burritos, Alternative Surf Shop, the Dolphin Liquer store, eating at Taco Bell before catching the bus home. Seal Beach aka Steal Beach holds a very special place in my heart.

Appreciate the opportunity to share such fond memories.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    In the 70’s I would talk my dad into dropping me off on the pier. We lived in Downey so dad would drive me to the pier and then drive to his job in Vernon come back around 6:00 pm and pick me up. He must have really loved me to do that. He knew how much I loved fishing. I remember him giving his business card to the guy at the bait store and giving him permission to slap the crap out of me if I got in trouble. Great memories on the Seal Beach pier for sure. Thanks for the reminder

Upvote 0

Tin Pangas

Skipper
    Aug 28, 2010
    Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    37 Tollycraft
    In the 70’s I would talk my dad into dropping me off on the pier. We lived in Downey so dad would drive me to the pier and then drive to his job in Vernon come back around 6:00 pm and pick me up. He must have really loved me to do that. He knew how much I loved fishing. I remember him giving his business card to the guy at the bait store and giving him permission to slap the crap out of me if I got in trouble. Great memories on the Seal Beach pier for sure. Thanks for the reminder
    yeah and they call it child abuse now. sad times we live in these days.

Upvote 0