Long Term Reliability of Fuji Reel Seats - Custom Rod

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Thinking about getting a custom rod built with a Fuji reel seat. Would use a Talica 12 or 20 with this rod for #40-60 mostly and possibly #80 in a pinch.

Kind of nervous. If that reel seat breaks that rod is literally obsolete. I’m not really as worried about it breaking as I am about it getting jammed up or possibly having those soft screw threads damaged.

Love my Phenix Black Diamond Rods for light duty but now I have to use a piece of rubber to grip the reel seat on my 809XHJ to twist it open. Some fish scales got jammed in there a year or two ago and it’s been a bit of a PITA trying to unlock the reel seat. I’m always worried that eventually one day I won’t be able to twist it free and I might have to scratch up my reel cutting it out of there but somehow, surprisingly it hasn’t happened yet!

Still that Fuji has the potential to make that rod feel amazingly light and well balanced and that’s a huge part of fishing for me and allows me to fish longer and feel less fatigued and that such an important part of being able to stay at the rail all day long.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Been beating the shit of of them for decades, you should be fine as long as you don’t do anything stupid like tightening a clamp too much. I’ve seen a few where the Colette nut got tightened too much and the treads got wonky but I think they used a wrench or something

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Discuss your concerns with your rod maker. If you fit a reel seat over the butt when building the rod You will only have to change the seat and rear grip if it fails. Also, Fuji does make a heavy duty seat I don't know if that fits into your plans. Good luck!

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Having some fly rods built. Kitted the 13-15 wt. & 12 wt. with Alps triangle seats. Used the Fuji type on a couple of 11 wt.s and an absolutely adorable titanium colored Alps on an 8 wt.
There are no clamps on a fly reel. If I'm hanging a Super 14, 13, or 12. I don't want to break it off. Also, building two popping rods. If I'm hanging a Stella on them I want an Alps.

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Cool. Thanks, appreciate all of the comments. Gonna think about it a little more.

I will say that every time I pick up a RGP Predator with a Fuji, I go, “Wow, that’s an amazingly light rod for #50-100” and that’s still in the back of my head!

Thanks!

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Sounds like you should just go with an aluminum seat if you need to think about it more.Your rod wrapper guy will probably appreciate it.

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Sounds like you should just go with an aluminum seat if you need to think about it more.Your rod wrapper guy will probably appreciate it.
Why would he appreciate it? Are they any more difficult to install than an alps reel seat?

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Why would he appreciate it? Are they any more difficult to install than an alps reel seat?
Then there will be no regrets or issues for him to deal with like changing your mind after the Fuji is installed.Installation is the same pretty much.My experience with reel seats is the ones that are usually broken,corroded or just ugly from salt are aluminum.Graphite holds up very well as long as its installed correctly and not abused by over tightening.

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Then there will be no regrets or issues for him to deal with like changing your mind after the Fuji is installed.Installation is the same pretty much.My experience with reel seats is the ones that are usually broken,corroded or just ugly from salt are aluminum.Graphite holds up very well as long as its installed correctly and not abused by over tightening.
I’m not worried about changing my mind. As long as the rod builder builds the rod according to what we agreed to, all will be good. This is why I’m asking now, so I can make the best possible decision before I spend a lot of money on a custom rod and understand the possible outcomes.

NaClAddict

Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
Alps is higher quality than Fuji. Reel seats can be replaced. Either is fine if taken care of. At 80# you should clamp the reel. Clamping at 60# is a good idea, even 40. I clamp all my reels that have a clamp.

I personally prefer cork tape or seine cord and no seat, especially for 40# and up. Nothing lighter and easily replaced. If you fish a rod enough it will need repairs, rebuilding and maybe retirement. I still fish my grandfathe’s saber blanks that might be older than me (41).

Nick_L

Apr 19, 2016
California
Name
Nick
Boat
n/a
The way rods are fished has changed a bit. The durability of graphite seats isnt really an issue, there isnt any wide spread report of consistent graphite seat failure. Heres what I think, (doesnt mean its right for everyone, just my opinion).

Graphite (fuji or whatever brand)
- Light weight
- Fine with a clamp as long as it is arbored near where the clamp sits, (your rod builder should do this)
- No issues fishing high drag for conventionals so long as the only pressure pulling is along the axis of the rod (no pull forces)
- Not as reliable when forces pull the reel away from the seat (harness fishing or trolling where you clip on the reel lugs)

Aluminum seats
- Heavier
- The stronger material can handle the bulk and weight of larger international class reels with a little more piece of mind
- Clamp pressure resilient
- Pull force resilient (harness fishing or trolling
- May not seat small machined reels tightly, causing them to shift left and right along the curvature of the seat cylinder

Anything fishing international size reels, talica 20, or larger I usually build with aluminum seats just to handle the shear weight of the reel a little better. If I think there is a chance the rod will be used to troll or if its going to be fished with a harness, I'll build it with aluminum seats also. I also keep in mind the handle material and how thick it is for aesthetics.

For smaller compact reels up to fathom 40n size, I will typically recommend graphite seats. I take care to place an arbor where the clamp will usually fit, so the reel is clamped behind solid material. Fishing drag pressures up to 25# isnt a problem so long as the angler is holding the rod, and not simply the reel. I feel uneasy with graphite seats when there are excessive forces pulling the reel away from the seat, as in harness fishing or trolling. Otherwise, traditional fishing, I have plenty of confidence fishing and building with graphite seats.

Some things to think about, best of luck
Nick

Reactions: plj46 and Cubeye

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
I like aluminum reel seats for the most part, but they are heavier for sure,
MudHole has this CRB reel seat ( new style) and they are light and strong..
I bought 3 or 4, and just built a seeker 665 20-50 rod with one with fuji guides, and it nice and light and comfy..

anyway that's my thoughts...

Good luck in your choice...
That looks really interesting and pretty cool. Are they currently on any factory rods or do you think someone might have them at Fred Hall?

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Check out the HD Fuji seats. I like that they don't have any metal hood on it to corrode.

1582570599283.png

Last edited:
Reactions: plj46

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
That looks really interesting and pretty cool. Are they currently on any factory rods or do you think someone might have them at Fred Hall?
I bought mine direct from MudHole.com

Reactions: kzaam1

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Graphite is fine. Popping rods fished with upwards of 30-40lbs of drag where the force is applied further away from the blank have no problem with them, neither will you. If you're afraid of the seat hood failing and releasing the reel, use the reel clamp as well. Should be doing that anyway with aluminum seats that have a tendency to work themselves loose.

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
I do not fish my reels with a reel clamp. I don’t like how they get into the way and affect how I am able to hold the rod or feel what’s being transmitted through the rod.

No issues so far with a couple of Bluefin in the 150-180 range and many smaller tuna. Both of those big fish came on the aluminum alps reel seats though.

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
Been using Fugi's forever on all my rods and have never had an issue. All six of my 770X, 770XX and 770XXX have them. Have caught numerous cows on them. I'll trade lightweight for bling any day also use regular guides not heavy duty for same reason. JMO

Reactions: MR Limpet

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
a huge amount of OEM rods EG Calstar, Etc, use Fuji DPSH graphite seats. if there's a problem, they sure would NOT be using 'em!
cs.jpg

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
I really don’t like those reel seats to be honest. The one I would want to go with are the same ones that go on the Phenix Black Diamond Rods or the new UC RGP Rods
use what floats your boat then!
as long as YOU are happy and confident, that's all that matters.

Reactions: kzaam1