Offshore Long Run For Nada + Combat Fishing

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
Central Coast
Name
PJ
Boat
Hinano Tahiti
I'm from Nor Cal so I get to make a few trips outta SD a couple times a year. Went out Monday on a buddy's 24' CC, we went to the 302, then everywhere between there and back to MB for basically nada. We went over 100 miles searching, searching & searching. Hit several paddys for nada. I felt like a drug runner in a Panga going from the border to Gaviota. They occasionally show up around there & points north, I always wondered what running that far was like. Now I know!!!! Just paying my dues basically.

Second go-out was a 1.5 on the Pacifica where I did pretty well with 40# mono for yellowtail. I basically caught 10% of the fish on the boat, but scratched on a big blue. My buddy got a 60# blue so he was stoked. The Pacifica was good overall, but, of course there's a but, they weren't very on it when it came to dolling out bait. Basically they would let crappy bait sit in the tanks till you asked for fresh bait. I've been on 20 other overnights, 1.5's etc. And the Pacifica was lacking on the bait selection. When you would ask, they would scoop some winners in the tank, but you had to ask & a lot of the time there was no one on the tank so it took a few minutes. I know these guys work their butts off many days in a row, and sometimes have an off day, that's life. Otherwise was a good boat.

No more panga runs for me:)

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
I hear you. I am HIGHLY sympathetic to the crews, what they put up with is extraordinary and they work tirelessly day in and day out. that being said, one of the few things that is a standard expectation for me is bait in the wells. Fresh bait available anytime your stopping is a basic expectation.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great Report and info. Maybe the DH was keeping the bait
    fresher and cooler in the tank, instead of filling the scuppers?
    I'd ASK for a few LIVE ones too. A win win situation. LOL

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    Thanks for the report. Regarding bait, toss the dead and/or bloody baits over the rail. I’ve noticed they won’t keep feeding the live well if it’s full. Even if all the bait is trash. But when I help keep it clean, deckies often reward me with a fresh bait or two.

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Thanks for report. Frustrating for sure at times, and 302 has not been producing for a while. I learned that in a similar fashion wasting time and fuel. All the fish took off north it seams unless you want YT and then you need to go to Nados.

Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
    Name
    Julian
    Boat
    Boat hoe
    Make sure you look into the big tank because they might of had crap bait my last trip the crew had to work hard to look for bait that was not red or scaled. We have to remember the crew only has so much control of certain things. Shout out to the Sea Watch crew!! Glad to see you didn’t make the trip down to SoCal for nothing!!

Upvote 0