Dexter Outdoors

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Temecula
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Never got travel insurance on any long range trip until now...
Mike Lackey told me I should have it; so l looked into it.
Read nightmare stories on BD...
2 WORDS:

Dawson Insurance

$275 for 1 yr..
Rolls over on all my trips for 365 days
Medivac flight, cancelation, injuries, property, etc

Upvote 0

dtf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
Seems to be more than one Dawson Insurance, do you have a web address?? Thanks

Upvote 0

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
Depending on the length/cost of the trip, it makes sense. I recall seeing a thread last month seeking to fill two spots for a 16 day (?). No insurance on a trip like that = OUCH. Life happens - as we're seeing across the globe, and the U.S. right now.

Reactions: DLU04
Upvote 0

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
If you are thinking of getting a travel insurance in case the current crisis get out of control, make sure you read the fine print. A lot of travel insurances have added the following statement “The Coronavirus outbreak event is considered a foreseeable event under any plans purchased on or after January 29, 2020.” Also, some insurances will not reimburse you even if you had purchased “cancel for any reason” - if it is after Jan 29th.

I totally understand why they are doing this as they are going to be heavily affected by this crisis.

Upvote 0

craigen

Got Spooled
Jan 6, 2007
san diego
Name
Craig
Boat
none
So if you catch a cold before your trip and must cancel, do you have to provide medical proof it was just a cold and not Coronavirus that made you cancel trip? Seems like trip insurance may not be worth the paper it's written on because of this exclusion.

Reactions: marlyn and Cubeye
Upvote 0

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Temecula
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Text Bob Dawson
He replied ....
My insurance covers "accident or illness "...I'm covered
Does not cover "fear of illness"
So all my lr trips covered for the year...
Instead of guessing at fine print on my policy...
Call Bob direct....he also goes LR out of SD

Upvote 0

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
Text Bob Dawson
He replied ....

Honestly, if you do get sick with this virus and you are an older person (and we know that there is a pretty big percent of LR-ers in that category). The loss of money from the trip should not be your highest concern.

i am more interested in getting the CFAR (Cancel for any reason) type of coverage. Hopefull, the CA does the same what NY did. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-any-reason-policies-gov-cuomo-idUSKBN20T2ZD

Upvote 0

Bob dawson

Aug 28, 2013
La Mesa CA San Diego
Name
Bob Dawson
Boat
none
Yes, proof of illness from a Doctor is required. Corona Virus is insured if you get it--if you have a FEAR of getting Corona Virus that is NOT INSURED FOR FEAR---the insurance is for illness or accident for you & that causes you to cancel your trip, be Medically Evacuated, Medical Insurance included, Baggage Loss, etc. Bob Dawson

Upvote 0

Bob dawson

Aug 28, 2013
La Mesa CA San Diego
Name
Bob Dawson
Boat
none
Regarding "Cancel For Any Reason" this is available in CA as well. Cost is more by about 40% & up to 60% depending on your age--if you cancel just because you changed you mind, or fear of getting Corona Virus you only get back 80% of trip cost--if you are ill or injured you get back 100% as that is a Covered Reason--you must purchase within 14 days of initial trip deposit or it is not available to you.
Bob Dawson

Upvote 0

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    I have insurance at Bob Dawson and have unfortunately used it twice without a hitch. Once I had a quad bypass and once my wife was hospitalized after several TIA incidents. What you need to get reimbursed is the bill for the trip from the skipper showing what you PAID. You need a doctor’s note indicating your illness or your spouse’s illness. You may have to write this note and have the doctor sign it. If the doctor has to write the note it might cost you up to $100. Lastly, you need to open a claim with the insurance company via their website; it was easy and took about three minutes.

They use direct deposit and it usually appears in your account within two weeks.

Very good money spent every year by me.

This is me with a 50 pound YT after the quad bypass, one of nine over 50# I caught on that trip. Great surgeon!

Attachments

• F6C38B90-A14F-40B5-80D2-B5D6266D3E66.jpeg
      F6C38B90-A14F-40B5-80D2-B5D6266D3E66.jpeg
      215.3 KB · Views: 80
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Hobie Kayak
    I have insurance at Bob Dawson and have unfortunately used it twice without a hitch. Once I had a quad bypass and once my wife was hospitalized after several TIA incidents. What you need to get reimbursed is the bill for the trip from the skipper showing what you PAID. You need a doctor’s note indicating your illness or your spouse’s illness. You may have to write this note and have the doctor sign it. If the doctor has to write the note it might cost you up to $100. Lastly, you need to open a claim with the insurance company via their website; it was easy and took about three minutes.

They use direct deposit and it usually appears in your account within two weeks.

Very good money spent every year by me.

This is me with a 50 pound YT after the quad bypass, one of nine over 50# I caught on that trip. Great surgeon!
    Where the heck were you when you caught 9 yellowtail over 50 pounds and how did you do it ? Jigs, bait...please share details..

Reactions: northernchad
    Upvote 0

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    Where the heck were you when you caught 9 yellowtail over 50 pounds and how did you do it ? Jigs, bait...please share details..

Guadalupe Island on the Royal Star last year on the Barking Spiders trip. Almost everyone caught a few, I was just luckier. After a quad bypass the karma gods were very kind to me. I never expect it to occur again, but I took every one that bit. Most were on 60-100# line using heavy Salas 6X full size in blue and white and black and white. I caught one on a dropper loop though it was not as fun.

I donated one fish to the boat and it fed 31 people dinner with some to spare.

Pulling on another one with Captain Sims on deck. Great guy next to you when bit, he gaffes it too. The rail is MY friend.

Attachments

• 96A5B767-60AD-429C-80E4-75557BA5FA48.jpeg
      96A5B767-60AD-429C-80E4-75557BA5FA48.jpeg
      721.7 KB · Views: 106
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Text Bob Dawson
    He replied ....

Bob also insures some of the Long Range Boats out of SD. No brainer insurance for me at 55. Im in it for a Medevac and trip incidental accident coverage. Medevac coverage on your own is $25k-$80,000 and must be paid in full before the copter is sent for you. Imagine calling the wife to transfer $80k to Medevac you out ? Mines would say sleep tight and hang in there.

Talk to Bob. super nice guy.

• Wow
    Reactions: Darin Dohi
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Good call, “Talk to Bob”. I’ve been carrying a policy for about three years.

Reactions: pukahd and alulunga
    Upvote 0

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    Bob also insures some of the Long Range Boats out of SD. No brainer insurance for me at 55. Im in it for a Medevac and trip incidental accident coverage. Medevac coverage on your own is $25k-$80,000 and must be paid in full before the copter is sent for you. Imagine calling the wife to transfer $80k to Medevac you out ? Mines would say sleep tight and hang in there.

Talk to Bob. super nice guy.

A friend, who was also my roommate, had two detached retinas on a Star trip. We motored to cedros where after some fancy negotiations by Tim, he was allowed to leave the boat. He was flown by jet to TJ, then to San Diego (customs) and then to hospital in Palm Springs near where he lived. Travel insurance saved him $18,000!

Upvote 0

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
    On the Water
    Name
    Buck
    Boat
    sunk
    Been using evac. insurance from Bob Dawson for years and fortunately have never needed it. Recommended it to a friend with a bad heart who was going on a 7 day. His evac. bill from Cedros after he had the big one, was $130,000. Paid for by the insurance, and that was 10 years ago. I'm betting it hasn't gotten cheaper.

Upvote 0