Long Range Topshots

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Terryw, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Terryw

Terryw Capitan

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Sold
    I am fairly new to the long range trips. One under my belt. I have committed to making topshots for an upcoming trip in a few weeks. I made a jig and have most of the materials. Can any of you long time, long rangers point me to some good tutorials for making the wind ons? I will be inserting into hollow. No crimps. Also, what would you consider an ideal length? 15'? Thinking shorter might get bit a little better and would just require changing out a little bit more frequently.

Thanks for your help on a topic that has probably been beaten to death.

2. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    Sounds like your on the right path. Twelve inches or so of insertion, nail knots and some tack glue, good to go. Nothing wrong with 15 feet, anglers choice.
    Google and you will find all the U-tube videos you will want.

3. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    "made a jig"

Is this to hold the lines taut for a serve?

4. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    This Blackwater video is a good one, using a nail knot. I'd use two and glue the knots and area in between. In the video, he uses an eight turn nail knot. I use a four turn but with at least 100# solid. You need to pull the knot really tight until it is translucent and it's hard to break 100#.

5. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    One thing he did in that video that I have heard you shouldn't do is apply the glue to fuzzy end. The reason being glue on the fuzz can actully make large snag to get hung in your guides.

6. Terryw

Terryw Capitan

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Sold
    Great info guys. Thanks much. To answer Steve's question, yes the jig is to hold the line taut. It looks almost identical to the one shown in the video.

7. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    If you're going to "serve" your connection, the jig is needed. If you're just going to use nail knots, try it just on a table. A little easier to maneuver the nail knots into position. If you've never done this, you might want to wait for travel days, get a little expert help from the crew and your fellow anglers.

But, I know how strong the urge is to try this at home before the trip. If you do that, just be sure to test your methods before the fish do. I used to tell my kids to check their knots when they would tie on a hook. Check it yourself, because the fish is going to. ;)

8. Terryw

Terryw Capitan

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Sold
    Appreciate the info. The problem with this trip is it is a fly / fly from Cabo so I will only have a day to set gear up and make top shots, so thought I would get a head start on it. I was thinking I would serve the top shots. Bought one of those funky bobbin things from BHP.

Squid Sammich likes this.
  9. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Well, we all gotta do what we gotta do. Maybe a YouTube search for serving demo will show you what you need to know. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

10. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I have friends who serve, and it has worked at least pretty well for them. If that's the way you want to go, you want to make sure you really stretch the line tight as Hell before you serve, and you make the serve as tight as you possibly can.

I use nail knots, and they have worked really well for me (no failures so far through six trips). For nail knots, you don't need either jigs or bobbin. Same is true for Sato crimps, though I've never used those, nor do I know anything of value about them.

I recommend using nail knots very highly, with a caveat: for connections of 100lbs or less, I use the Tony Pena knot. Depending on the application, sometimes for 130lbs too. For most 130lb applications, and for anything heavier, I use insertion top shots. Again, this has worked really well for ME.

It seems to me like you are already set up to serve your top shots, which probably makes all of what I just wrote pointless. There are people on here (shacl and harddrive, for example) who serve, and are very good at it. Harddrive is on a trip right now, but if shacl sees this, maybe he can give you some tips.

Olddog8 likes this.
  11. fishforfun2

fishforfun2 Hunter Gatherer

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 18
    I tried serving in a jig and then the nub/nail knot but I don't enjoy making topshots and have had a failure and slipping on a served topshot. Now I send my 25 yard coils of flouro to [email protected] and he makes 3 topshots out of it for $7.50 each,nice service for me since I don't like doing it. They are good quality and no failure's on last 2 14 day trips

Shimano Fishing Fans and Steve K like this.
  12. Terryw

Terryw Capitan

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Sold
    You have me leaning towards using nail knots. Can't really see any downside. A guy did show me how to do a serve three years ago and I made one up. Caught a nice one and the flouro slipped in the spectra. Still got the fish but immediately replaced the topshot with a premade one.

13. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Brilliant. Another guy who might help with that would be Ken's Custom Reels.

Olddog8 likes this.
  14. fishforfun2

fishforfun2 Hunter Gatherer

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 18
    I'll check with Ken's but he's been really busy I here. I got a good deal on flouro at fred hall show.

15. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Another option is Basil. For about the same price you get one of the best in the Business.

Example 25' 130 # Seguar Premium wind-on $30

http://www.bhptackle.com/home.php?cat=202

Many other options to chose from on his site

16. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Dave, thanks for talking some sense. Next time I need topshots....

ifish42na likes this.
  17. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I use BHP. I can make both pressure serve and nail nub topshots really well. I have all of the tools including a commercial grade jig bench. Much of what I have learned has come direct from Basil.

I dont have the time for the process. To make a topshot correctly its all about attention to detail. Which I also have plenty of.

If you do the math - shop the fluro for the best price, then figure the labor to make it, then the packaging so it has some kind of order in your tackle bag -

BHP is a bargain in my eyes.

Best part of the whole equation is they dont fail.

18. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    For a beginner or a regular rider, Basil's topshots are great. Learn the loop splice for a connection.

http://www.bhptackle.com/pages.php?pageid=10

If you are committed to making your own and not crimps you have options.

http://www.blackwaterfishingline.com/tech_tips_served_connection.html

This is the one I use...
    http://garyteraoka.blogspot.com/2008/06/nub-connection-system.html

You can go simple with a overhand knot for a serve, or double some small spectra and do half hitches.

In all honesty your first trip you will learn a lot. Plenty of time to sit down and watch and ask questions of those doing it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    ifish42na, Workplacesafety and dh515 like this.
  19. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I've got rheumatoid arthritis, less than 20-20 vision hate working on anything except fighting fish, and just not very handy. All great methods above. When I go long again I'll be using BHP wind-on's. I like the longer (50ft) straight mono Momoi either blue or clear makes no difference. Don't use much flouro unless absolutely necessary. Good luck on your trip and make sure you post up a blow by blow report with at least 20 pictures.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  20. Terryw

Terryw Capitan

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Sold
    Thanks for all the info guys. It is decided. I am going to try to use up all the supplies I have using the Teraoka nub knot method. When I become completely frustrated I will just buy them from Basil or Ken for the next trip. Be glad to post some pics of the 17/11 Royal Star trip.