Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hope everyone is enjoying the new year. Since I completed an 8-day, 3-day and a 15-day with my new tackle box, a detailed report seemed a logical next step. This custom tackle box was made by Mark Mayo. Mark did a great job. His wood working skills are obviously very good. I really enjoy using this wooden box. It is relatively small (13.5 h x 15 w x 13.5 d) and holds 3 Plano 3600 sized plastic containers. It has another area under the bottom tray and a area on top with a lid. It holds all the gear inside except my crimping gear I keep in a separate small plastic container which fits between the rod tubes and the back of the box.

The box fits on all boat tackle shelves and in most racks with three rear rod holders. The eye rings are very handy for tying hook, hardware and lure knots. It also has 6 tie downs making it more stable in various situations and is not tip-over prone due to the supports under the rod holders. All metal hardware on the box are stainless steel including screws, plastic-coated wire and discs in the bottom feet. I had a padded ballistic nylon cover made for it so other equipment handlers will cause fewer negative effects. It weighs less than 30 pounds fully loaded (depending on your gear) so it easy to move.

I added some photos below. This box is made of hard rock maple with a beautiful grain and tough as nails. Maple is less porous and a harder wood than many other commonly used tackle box woods so it needs less finish and requires less maintenance. I just rinse it with fresh water when I get home after a trip. I've had it a year or so and other than a ding and some surface scratches it looks great. If you are in the market for getting a custom wooden box made for your needs, give Mark a call to discuss possibilities. You can reach him at landofmayo.com. or right here on Bloodydecks his handle is mmayo.

Everyone likes different things including tackle boxes. The character or wooden boxes just makes sense to me even though they may not be the hot new item. I remember my dad's old wooden tackle box from Hawaii and it is a cherished memory. This one is very different from my father's, but I am enjoying this one too...Thanks, Mark!

- Jeff Burroughs
LRF34_tacklebox front_5x4.jpg
LRF34_tacklebox side_6x4.jpg
LRF34_tacklebox top_5x4.jpg
LRF34_tacklebox rear_5x4.jpg

~
~
~
~
~
LRF34_tacklebox bottom_5x4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Mark does beautiful work and undoubtedly you will enjoy it for years to come. I am impressed you have gotten your tackle down to 1 box!

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Like the Rocket launchers behind the box, more room for neighbor boxes...

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Mark does beautiful work and undoubtedly you will enjoy it for years to come. I am impressed you have gotten your tackle down to 1 box!

One box works for me. I usually bring another bag with extra jigs, bombs and miscellaneous items (keep it in the stateroom). Using just one relatively small tackle box on deck allows more space for others.

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Jeff, do you fly down with the box? If so, how do you keep it protected in transit?

I usually drive. It takes about 7.5 hours. It fits in a 20"x20"box with padding quite well. I shipped it to Los Angeles and back with no issues so you could ship it to the landing at Point Loma.

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited:
    Reactions: etwizard
    Upvote 0