Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Cause it's cold in the morning... Once you start to load, you no longer need it. I think it is fun to be different. If I go on another boat, just to be different I think I will wear my 300 Rooster jacket. Conversation starter...

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Where do patched jackets/hoodies #200/#300 club fit into this conversation? Got me a spiffy new Excel hoodie with 3 cow tags I am quite proud of. Think I will do what I have seen other's do with these what I like to call "scout jackets" and wear them briefly only while standing around the parking lot. If the patch's for cows came from multiple boats this would be more acceptable than say having all your cows come from "one" boat? This calls for catching cows on several boats with corresponding patch's thus not offending any one operator. Why do LR guys only wear these things when standing in lines and then ditch them to their ride before the trip departs?
    I think most Crews love it when they see a bunch of different T shirts
    from other boats, it tells them most likely that person Knows
    that person has a clue what to do when it comes time to Fish
    like the Rent Rod tell you to stay clear of them.

Reactions: norcaltunaclub
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    For what it's worth, I've been told that the owners of the boat that I fish understand that it's not always going to work out that you're able to fish with them on every trip. Whether it's timing or availability, whatever. He also said he likes to see us trying out other boats, seeing the difference and it seems to work out most of the time that guys come back.

Upvote 0

elreytut

elreytut
    Jun 19, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
    Some years ago, I showed up at the Rooster office wearing a Shogun tee. Nice lady, (before the lovely and talented Christina) said, what's up with that? I replied something like, surely you'd rather have me here, dressed in this shirt, than over at the Shogun office signing in with Andrea, wearing a Rooster tee. She had to agree. ;)
    exactly. and what happened to Andrea at the Shogun office? and Scottie? both gone

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    just don't wear pink dress shirts on a tuna boat....they have a nasty habit of getting big bloody hand prints on them

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    If anyone, ever, from any operation gave me shit (like....legitimately gave me shit, not joking around) for wearing another boat's shirt/hat/jacket, I would never fish that boat again.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    When in Rome do as the Romans do! I personally don't wear any of the boat's or landing's clothing cuz it all sucks when it comes to UV protection... and after many years of neglect I (and my dermatologist) like to protect my largest organ (my skin) as best I can... so I wear mostly Columbia SPF 50 rated fishing clothing cuz its real comfy, dries a lot faster, breathes a lot better, does not hold odor like cotton does, it is lighter, and most importantly it protects me way better while standing in the sun for numerous hours at a time. Try it... you'll like it!
    G

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

fishordie

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2005
    Calabasas CA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Yo Doug,

Great question and one which I have rather strong feelings about but only as they apply to me and my approach to life and fishing. No doubt, your asking this question probably means you had a momentary inkling that perhaps there is a show of disrespect by wearing the competitor's logo even though that would not be the intent of you, the angler. I have spent a life time as a 60's child fighting for my individual rights, fighting "The Man" and fighting for the rights of others so I do not believe I am the type to "Cave" to the status quo or kiss anyone's butt....

To me, and I only speak for myself, when I go onto any long range operation, be it new to me or my go to operations, I make sure I have at least one T-shirt, jacket, hoodie or hat that reflects the name of the operation I am going on. If possible, I wear that boat du jour's logo from the time I get to the landing (or purchase as soon as possible when I get to the landing), be it the day before or the day of, and continue to wear that logo for most all of the first day or until I have met most everyone of the passengers, crew and staff. I never wear the name of another competing operation until after that first day and then only on rare occasion if ever. After all, like it or not, we are walking advertisements when we wear any sort of logo on visible apparel. I do not care if you sell Hoover vacuums the last thing you want to see is the name Dyson tattooed on someone's arm or clothing.

For me, the captain, crew, front office staff,owners, room cleaners, red shirts, etc. are in no way representative of "The Man" (The negative connotation). Rather, these are all individuals who are somehow and in someway facilitating my enjoyment of today and the next many days and nights, thus, deserve respect from me even before I actually meet them or experience their help. Something as simple as not wearing the competing brand's logo or name is just showing respect or, at the very least, not disrespecting the operation goes a long way to easing the in-road to making acquaintance with those all important crew members..The same applies to going on a charter/sponsored trip where I will not wear the logo of the competing brand until I have met the same conditions as above. It's just respect and my ego of representing "My Brands" needs to be set aside.... At least for one day.

For those who think I am crazy..... though you are probably right in that supposition, imagine you are a crew member or skipper who relies on every passenger dollar to make their rent, utility bill, pay for diapers, or other overhead payments,, who overhears a conversation started with you about the competitors operation while you are wearing the logo of that competitor... Do you really believe there is no momentary or long term insult or dis-respect felt by that staff member?? I certainly would not go to a contractor's or sub-contractors office to ask for a bid wearing the logo of a competitor....for a variety of reasons, but hey, that is just me....

Regardless what business you are in, the last thing you want to see walk into your shop or work-place, asking for help or even to purchase something, is a person wearing your competitor's logo. Though we would all like to think the wearing of logos is nothing personal and without insult or bad intention, regardless how enlightened the parties are, there is a second, a moment, an hour or more, where there is a negative taste in the mouth and minds of our hosts. I am fully capable of pissing someone off on my own without having to overcome a negative "First Impression", even if it is a fleeting impression, on a long range operation. Ultimately I have to prove my own worth and earn respect on the trip but why on earth and what personal gain would I enjoy if I put even a minor road block to achieving the customer service I hope to get on each and every trip by not supporting the operation I have chosen to fish with??

In some ways I am an old school guy in that, back in the day, wearing a competitor's t-shirt, jacket or hat on the first day of fishing would have had you looking over your shoulder for the rest of the trip as not only the crew and skipper but other passengers probably would have done something to the offending angler that he might not have liked. In today's world, the staff will probably not say anything to the offending party but you can be assured they are offended.... Some a tiny bit... Some a whole lot of bit regardless of the intent of the angler. In life, we all have had to make these, sometimes ego based decisions, with outcomes that may or may not have been to our liking or expectation as in many cases the other party may not be as "Un-offended" as we had believed they would be.

Another reason to wear the company logo is so that when you get to the landing, walk around, other strangers associated with your trip have any easy way to recognize a fellow passenger. Most anglers are not comfortable walking up to a stranger at the landing and asking are you on the (fill in your boat name) trip?.. Immediately the commonality of clothing allows for a potentially uncomfortable situation of individuals wondering to themselves should I ask if that person is on the trip or is that too intrusive is pretty much relieved. Besides, if you are getting to the landing the night before and do not know anyone at least you stand a better chance of meeting a fellow angler to go have a drink or dinner with if your are wearing the name and logo of the operation you have selected for the trip.

Finally, to me, there is no problem wearing non-competing or other industry garb around the landing or on the first day or wearing competitors clothing after the first day and after the first impressions are made however, for me and only for me, I tend to keep wearing competitors logos to an absolute minimum. It's just how I show respect. On a long range trip there is plenty of time to wear your entire array of lucky shirts, bragging jackets, best fitted shirt or just the bloody rags that show you are on old hand at this but, for this angler, showing respect on the first day, showing support for the operation I have chosen and not disrespect the operation by wearing the competitor's logo is just how I roll, not only in long range but in all aspects of my life..... Unless of course I just want to really piss someone off....

In a world seemingly filled with a whole lot of ego's, mediocrity and self centered decision making, sometimes, the simple act of showing respect makes you unusual and exceptional....I am always on the lookout for exceptional people...I prefer their company.

Doug, great chatting with you the other day.. It is always fun reliving the old days and talking about the new days to come. I am really looking forward to sharing the rail with you in April.

Jamie

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Bigfishhateme

Semper Fi
    Feb 7, 2013
    Land , Air , and Sea
    Name
    Sigmund
    Boat
    "The Sea Monster"
    When in Rome do as the Romans do! I personally don't wear any of the boat's or landing's clothing cuz it all sucks when it comes to UV protection... and after many years of neglect I (and my dermatologist) like to protect my largest organ (my skin) as best I can... so I wear mostly Columbia SPF 50 rated fishing clothing cuz its real comfy, dries a lot faster, breathes a lot better, does not hold odor like cotton does, it is lighter, and most importantly it protects me way better while standing in the sun for numerous hours at a time. Try it... you'll like it!
    G
    X2 COLUMBIA
    And AFTCO

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I brought a nice 5 Star t-shirt with me on my Royal Star Trip....nah I didn't wear it. But I still used 5 Star. :food-smil

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Yo Doug,

Great question and one which I have rather strong feelings about but only as they apply to me and my approach to life and fishing. No doubt, your asking this question probably means you had a momentary inkling that perhaps there is a show of disrespect by wearing the competitor's logo even though that would not be the intent of you, the angler. I have spent a life time as a 60's child fighting for my individual rights, fighting "The Man" and fighting for the rights of others so I do not believe I am the type to "Cave" to the status quo or kiss anyone's butt....

To me, and I only speak for myself, when I go onto any long range operation, be it new to me or my go to operations, I make sure I have at least one T-shirt, jacket, hoodie or hat that reflects the name of the operation I am going on. If possible, I wear that boat du jour's logo from the time I get to the landing (or purchase as soon as possible when I get to the landing), be it the day before or the day of, and continue to wear that logo for most all of the first day or until I have met most everyone of the passengers, crew and staff. I never wear the name of another competing operation until after that first day and then only on rare occasion if ever. After all, like it or not, we are walking advertisements when we wear any sort of logo on visible apparel. I do not care if you sell Hoover vacuums the last thing you want to see is the name Dyson tattooed on someone's arm or clothing.

For me, the captain, crew, front office staff,owners, room cleaners, red shirts, etc. are in no way representative of "The Man" (The negative connotation). Rather, these are all individuals who are somehow and in someway facilitating my enjoyment of today and the next many days and nights, thus, deserve respect from me even before I actually meet them or experience their help. Something as simple as not wearing the competing brand's logo or name is just showing respect or, at the very least, not disrespecting the operation goes a long way to easing the in-road to making acquaintance with those all important crew members..The same applies to going on a charter/sponsored trip where I will not wear the logo of the competing brand until I have met the same conditions as above. It's just respect and my ego of representing "My Brands" needs to be set aside.... At least for one day.

For those who think I am crazy..... though you are probably right in that supposition, imagine you are a crew member or skipper who relies on every passenger dollar to make their rent, utility bill, pay for diapers, or other overhead payments,, who overhears a conversation started with you about the competitors operation while you are wearing the logo of that competitor... Do you really believe there is no momentary or long term insult or dis-respect felt by that staff member?? I certainly would not go to a contractor's or sub-contractors office to ask for a bid wearing the logo of a competitor....for a variety of reasons, but hey, that is just me....

Regardless what business you are in, the last thing you want to see walk into your shop or work-place, asking for help or even to purchase something, is a person wearing your competitor's logo. Though we would all like to think the wearing of logos is nothing personal and without insult or bad intention, regardless how enlightened the parties are, there is a second, a moment, an hour or more, where there is a negative taste in the mouth and minds of our hosts. I am fully capable of pissing someone off on my own without having to overcome a negative "First Impression", even if it is a fleeting impression, on a long range operation. Ultimately I have to prove my own worth and earn respect on the trip but why on earth and what personal gain would I enjoy if I put even a minor road block to achieving the customer service I hope to get on each and every trip by not supporting the operation I have chosen to fish with??

In some ways I am an old school guy in that, back in the day, wearing a competitor's t-shirt, jacket or hat on the first day of fishing would have had you looking over your shoulder for the rest of the trip as not only the crew and skipper but other passengers probably would have done something to the offending angler that he might not have liked. In today's world, the staff will probably not say anything to the offending party but you can be assured they are offended.... Some a tiny bit... Some a whole lot of bit regardless of the intent of the angler. In life, we all have had to make these, sometimes ego based decisions, with outcomes that may or may not have been to our liking or expectation as in many cases the other party may not be as "Un-offended" as we had believed they would be.

Another reason to wear the company logo is so that when you get to the landing, walk around, other strangers associated with your trip have any easy way to recognize a fellow passenger. Most anglers are not comfortable walking up to a stranger at the landing and asking are you on the (fill in your boat name) trip?.. Immediately the commonality of clothing allows for a potentially uncomfortable situation of individuals wondering to themselves should I ask if that person is on the trip or is that too intrusive is pretty much relieved. Besides, if you are getting to the landing the night before and do not know anyone at least you stand a better chance of meeting a fellow angler to go have a drink or dinner with if your are wearing the name and logo of the operation you have selected for the trip.

Finally, to me, there is no problem wearing non-competing or other industry garb around the landing or on the first day or wearing competitors clothing after the first day and after the first impressions are made however, for me and only for me, I tend to keep wearing competitors logos to an absolute minimum. It's just how I show respect. On a long range trip there is plenty of time to wear your entire array of lucky shirts, bragging jackets, best fitted shirt or just the bloody rags that show you are on old hand at this but, for this angler, showing respect on the first day, showing support for the operation I have chosen and not disrespect the operation by wearing the competitor's logo is just how I roll, not only in long range but in all aspects of my life..... Unless of course I just want to really piss someone off....

In a world seemingly filled with a whole lot of ego's, mediocrity and self centered decision making, sometimes, the simple act of showing respect makes you unusual and exceptional....I am always on the lookout for exceptional people...I prefer their company.

Doug, great chatting with you the other day.. It is always fun reliving the old days and talking about the new days to come. I am really looking forward to sharing the rail with you in April.

Jamie

Well said Jamie. The SPF protection is important as well. AFTCO. Has some with build in hoods.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Seems to me I see a ton of "other boat" tee shirts when I am LR fishing. I do not think it is advertising...I think it is sort of LR oneupsmanship. Just folks showing where they have fished. I reminds me of cruising.....like on a Mediterranean cruise, you will see folks wearing t shirts from every other cruise destination possible. Just showing folks where they have been. I remember one year....many many years ago, at the Fred hall show, Okuma as giving away free t shirts...they were dark blue, with a big white bear and the Okuma logo. It was a great tshirt. I wore it everywhere, though I have never used an Okuma reel. Great deal for Okuma.
    They tossed me one last FH show, too. Awesome company.

Upvote 0

jbarto

Jul 15, 2005
    Hayden, ID
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Wow. Political correctness on sportboats. I don't think any owner/operator is going to have their feelings hurt just because you are wearing a shirt from another landing or boat.

Reactions: titan05
    Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
    Calabasas CA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Well said Jamie. The SPF protection is important as well. AFTCO. Has some with build in hoods.

Rich, right you are. I always fish, both long range and fly fishing, in SPF shirts. Long Sleeve, short sleeve, button down, etc. I really like the Under Armour Heatgear stuff for long and short sleeves T's. In truth, I live in the damn things. I have also been using a lot of Buffs and Balakava's for my face and neck. The old days of no sun screen or protection of some kind are gone for this angler. But my jackets always rep the boat I am fishing.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
    Aug 26, 2011
    fresno, ca usa
    Name
    donna
    Boat
    reel lady
    Hey Mr BEER, you apparently thought about this before you ever posed this question to all of us. Because of that, go with your gut and don't do it. Better to not do it, than do it and be regretful afterwards.

Best regards, your favorite BEER.

Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a

Is the SPF protection due to a chemical? If so, I guess my question is, does it wear out after a number of washings.

Upvote 0