long range t-shirt question

Dexter Outdoors
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
A few weeks ago a group of us long range fishing veterans got together and hung out for lunch in OC. An interesting conversation came up and we all had a unique stance and take on what is deemed appropriate or not on the question below.

Here’s the scenario: we’ve all collected numerous boat operation and charter shirts (ie Shogun, AA, Indy and etc) over the years that are collectibles, souvenirs or may simply just be our blood stained, battled tested lucky fishing shirts. For anybody that goes long range fishing on a consistent basis, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Myself, I have a huge collection of these blood stained shirts stored away in my long range clothing container that I only use a few times per year while on these trips. Here's the question: Is it right or wrong to wear a different boat operation t-shirt while patronizing another operation? Example: Wearing a RR3 t-shirt while on the Shogun.

I completely understand that most Anglers just love wearing any shirt that’s relevant to the San Diego Long Range fishing industry, myself included. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Some years ago, I showed up at the Rooster office wearing a Shogun tee. Nice lady, (before the lovely and talented Christina) said, what's up with that? I replied something like, surely you'd rather have me here, dressed in this shirt, than over at the Shogun office signing in with Andrea, wearing a Rooster tee. She had to agree. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Some years ago, I showed up at the Rooster office wearing a Shogun tee. Nice lady, (before the lovely and talented Christina) said, what's up with that? I replied something like, surely you'd rather have me here, dressed in this shirt, than over at the Shogun office signing in with Andrea, wearing a Rooster tee. She had to agree. ;)

Classic!

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
It shouldn't matter. I fish all the boats and I'm proud of that. There are a couple of boats and operations that aren't friendly to each other. I don't wear those shirts when I'm on those boats. But even if your not aware of the politics it shouldn't matter. Good customer service by the crew should override any prejudice against other boats and operations. Each of my shirts is represented by trips I took and lessons I learned along the way. If I have another operators shirt on you should know that I have the long range bug...I have been around a bit...I might be able to tell you some things I like about others boats that could help you out.....at the end of the day I paid to go on your rig on this trip and nothing else matters right now except what is going on right now!

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
It shouldn't matter. I fish all the boats and I'm proud of that. There are a couple of boats and operations that aren't friendly to each other. I don't wear those shirts when I'm on those boats. But even if your not aware of the politics it shouldn't matter. Good customer service by the crew should override any prejudice against other boats and operations. Each of my shirts is represented by trips I took and lessons I learned along the way. If I have another operators shirt on you should know that I have the long range bug...I have been around a bit...I might be able to tell you some things I like about others boats that could help you out.....at the end of the day I paid to go on your rig on this trip and nothing else matters right now except what is going on right now!

Dave - thank you for responding. All excellent points and great feedback!

Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
I was wearing a red rooster shirt when we were de boarding from the AA...Got a free AA hoodie to cover it up with.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
I think its "ok", but I also try to avoid it as to me its a bit awkward, like I'm endorsing (or at least publicizing) one boat while riding another..

I often wear new and in good shape fishing T shirts when I'm going to be around other people; they frequently spark conversation. As they get older and rattier, they become more for fishing and other ragtag activities.

Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
I think its "ok", but I also try to avoid it as to me its a bit awkward, like I'm endorsing (or at least publicizing) one boat while riding another..

I often wear new and in good shape fishing T shirts when I'm going to be around other people; they frequently spark conversation. As they get older and rattier, they become more for fishing and other ragtag activities.

Seems to me I see a ton of "other boat" tee shirts when I am LR fishing. I do not think it is advertising...I think it is sort of LR oneupsmanship. Just folks showing where they have fished. I reminds me of cruising.....like on a Mediterranean cruise, you will see folks wearing t shirts from every other cruise destination possible. Just showing folks where they have been. I remember one year....many many years ago, at the Fred hall show, Okuma as giving away free t shirts...they were dark blue, with a big white bear and the Okuma logo. It was a great tshirt. I wore it everywhere, though I have never used an Okuma reel. Great deal for Okuma.

Upvote 0

nednash

Sep 29, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Ned
Boat
none
Once on the Vagabond, I was wearing the shirt of "another boat" and after some good-natured razzing, Dave taped over the name, etc with duct tape and wrote in Vagabond. Duct it! Pretty funny. Later my hat blew off and I had to buy a Vagabond hat and that made them happy.

Reactions: norcaltunaclub
Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
The crew likes it from my experience. They say glad you stepped up and are on a good boat now. They believe you would rather be on their boat than the tee you are wearing.

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
An old crusty Tee from another LR operation will get you a shiny new T-shirt on the big X... You gotta deep 6 the old ratty one though. Lol

Upvote 0

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
I just tell them " when I got the shirt it never came with lighter and lighter fluid so I got stuck with it"

Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Don't see any real issue here. Your t-shirt, your clothes, wear what you want. If an operator is really uncomfortable with that, then their best option is to "upgrade" your choice of clothing to one of their t-shirts. Sounds reasonable to me. Can't remember any trip I have taken where the boat provided a t-shirt as part of the trip experience, which is really strange considering it is free advertising every time you wear it; Okuma really did take a big picture approach.

After all you voiced your real opinion when you put your money with the operator you are currently fishing; that speaks volumes in itself.

Upvote 0

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Jerry
Boat
Red Rooster 111
Never had a problem wearing other boats shirts. I can't even remember any crew member ever saying anything about it. I don't think they care.
Here's my rant about shirts. I always buy a shirt or two from the boats I ride but I feel I'm getting a ripped off. The normal price I pay is around $20 -$25 a shirt. I'm paying $3500-$4000 a trip I feel they could give me a shirt or add $20 to the trip then give me the shirt.
My last trip to Alaska the charter service sold shirts for $10 and a real nice jacket for $50. The SD boats sell a lessor quality jacket for $150. I talked to the office manager and praised him for not over pricing the items. He said they don't make any money on the shirts or jackets. They want their customers happy and free promotion they get when we wear the shirts.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Jackets? I was given a 200 lb Club from the Rooster after I caught my cows in '09 on the June Heat trip. I wear it in the morning of departure day, because it's cold. If I take it off and leave it in my stateroom for the duration of the trip, it's because it's no longer cold. That's just me. I do proudly wear my Five Star Fish Processing Services hoodie on any boat I fish, mostly the Angler. If and when I fish another boat (not often but occasionally) I usually have plenty of other tee shirts from that boat or sponsored trips, tackle makers and shops that I can wear. I even have one from Angler's Arsenal out in Lakeside before it became ECBT as well as one from Anthony's Dockside Services. Yes, I'm really old.

Life's too short to try to be politically correct all the time. I like the idea of tossing a ratty old tee over the side and receiving a new one. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
I've only fished one of the SD long range boats so far, but am proud of my charter shirts. Each time I wear them, I am reminded of good times out on the water. If I wear them on a half day or overnight, they usually spark a conversation with a fellow long ranger, and then we start swapping fish stories. If the crew has an issue, I suppose I could change my shirt, but I haven't run into that yet.

-Connor

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
In some respects, I think it's a bit tacky to wear another boats t-shirt on a trip. I just keep them at home for other tasks. I do have a few sponsored trip shirts that I wear as long as they are neutral. I also have some shirts with the "Crack of Dawn" and a nice lady sitting behind a Penn Int'l. And 5 star as well.

The T-shirts are advertising and I don't mind advertising at home but not on the competitors vessel, except my RR 200 pound club Jacket. I am proud to wear it and show that I am a member of the club. I do get several comment on that one and I do think that is one of the best PR jobs a boat can do. Plus it is a nice warm jacket.

That's just my two bits.

Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0