• Total voters

msand9898

Aug 4, 2017
folsom, ca
Name
msand9898
Boat
msand9898
Interesting thread, I’m booked for June 21 trip on the Intrepid, yesterday they had 1 ticket available out of 26. Today 3 are available so some guys are cancelling. Intrepid has not updated their website since March 16 with any changes about Covid, shutdown, cancellations, etc.

I think as a business model that has repeat fishermen that return year after year, it is imperative not hide behind the website. They should keep their loyal fishermen “well informed” with updates every day or two with changes that occur and/or affect their health and life, as well as cancellation policy or roll over trips. Are they going to supply N95 masks to everyone, limit 1 person per stateroom, no buffet, lots of changes I see coming down the road.

Reactions: dctalk523

dctalk523

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 28, 2007
County of Orange
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
I canceled my late August trip on the Vagabond due to the uncertainty of covid19. Asked for credit for a future trip. LR and sport boat operations will never be the same.

Reactions: rick Jackson

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
One price....just bring your suitcase.

How many NEW customers would they get? How many guys would sell their tackle.... If this option was availible? That $10K or $20k you have already invested gets sold.... if your not gonna need it right? YOU pocket the money. Think about it....
This would bring a lot more people into the game for sure, but at a huge cost. If it's not your own gear, who gives a rip on how you treat it? And the tagles from line dumpers... I figured that one out by letting a dear friend use my gear over a few 3 day trips the last couple of seasons. By the end of the trip the line would be all balled up on all the conventionals he used so I had to deal with that which though was a bit of a hassle was still ok. The last straw was when he slapped duct tape on all his rods including the boats loaner gear so he could ID his stuff. When we got back home he thanked me and drove away expecting my son in law and myself to deal with it all.

Besides, if all gear was supplied by the boat, what would I do all winter if I couldn't screw around with all my tackle. Also $10K - $20K for tackle?? That's what my wife thinks LOL

Reactions: jer dog

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
My vision for Long Range is this....
ONE PRICE MEANS EVERYTHING!

Like many other luxury vacations.... costing about the same amount....All you need to bring is your clothes. Period.

They supply EVERYTHING else you may need FREE. ALLof it. What ever you need....covered. Terminal tackle....free. 200 well maintained rods and reels... free. Top shots.... sinkers... jigs.... hooks... leaders .... trolling lures... NO CHARGE. Free T shirt with every ticket. No beer tabs.... soda tabs.... jackpot money....IT'S ALL INCLUDED. Even a great Crew tip.... All included. No permit fees...... no fuel surcharges NOTHING... ZERO.... ZIP.

How many NEW customers would they get? How many guys would sell their tackle.... If this option was availible? That $10K or $20k you have already invested gets sold.... if your not gonna need it right? YOU pocket the money. Think about it....
With due respect, I hope your vision is wrong...

The worst fishing experiences I've ever had were on a salmon charter out of Frankfort, and a 6-pack charter out of Cabo. The "clients" sit there and drink beer while the captain/deckhand finds the fish, sets the lines, detects the bite, sets the hook, and then asks "who wants this one?". $500 for a half day of being the designated reeler (on unfamiliar, and un-maintained gear). No thanks. If that was tuna fishing, I'd buy it at the store...

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Rapidly evolving situation with a rapidly evolving solution. Just look back 2 weeks and think of what you thought then would be happening now. So who knows if what I’m about to write will bear out:

1) As of today 4/10/20 the much anticipated bending of the curve in CA appears to be starting. Also, looking nationwide, the hospitalization and deaths look to be about 25-50% of what was forecasted about a week ago and currently being adjusted lower almost daily. So yes, it’s still very bad, but not as bad as we thought a week ago, and hopefully getting less and less bad moving forward as more data comes in and testing becomes more wide spread and faster (see Abbott test referenced above).

2) The amount of prestige and pressure on the line for the biotech companies right now is making diamonds. Effective treatment and widespread serological testing is going to mean before we get a vaccine we will at least be able to treat serious cases much better and also know who had it previously and are at least temporarily immune.

3) Effective vaccines are in testing currently. Still likely 12 months out. They are saying 12-18 months, but my hunch is sooner than later is more likely. Obviously that will be the true game changer, likely mixed in with flu shots (my gut says more people are going to get flu shots now too).

4) Economy is likely going to be a train wreck for at least a little bit. I think a bigger issue for the fleet is going to be who can afford to go and not the virus itself.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
With due respect, I hope your vision is wrong...

The worst fishing experiences I've ever had were on a salmon charter out of Frankfort, and a 6-pack charter out of Cabo. The "clients" sit there and drink beer while the captain/deckhand finds the fish, sets the lines, detects the bite, sets the hook, and then asks "who wants this one?". $500 for a half day of being the designated reeler (on unfamiliar, and un-maintained gear). No thanks. If that was tuna fishing, I'd buy it at the store...
Agreed, one of the best parts of Long Range Sport Fishing "San Diego Style" is getting your hands dirty and learning while fishing. It is much more fun and rewarding than "hook and hand" fishing. Leave that to the day boats and corporate charters.

- Jeff Burroughs

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Curious to see if Cuba fights the battle better than we do.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
My vision for Long Range is this....
ONE PRICE MEANS EVERYTHING!

Like many other luxury vacations.... costing about the same amount....All you need to bring is your clothes. Period.

They supply EVERYTHING else you may need FREE.

This would bring a lot more people into the game for sure, but at a huge cost.

Besides, if all gear was supplied by the boat, what would I do all winter if I couldn't screw around with all my tackle. Also $10K - $20K for tackle?? That's what my wife thinks LOL
I don't think it would bring any new folks into the game. You can already do just what was described by booking on a LR boat and asking to use loaner gear and tell them you only want to pay once so they should calculate that for you up front. Hell, I will make that deal for you right now. Tell me which boat and what trip you want on and I will make sure everything is arranged for you ahead of time. Just plan to tripple the advertised cost of the trip so I can afford to go too. You just show up at the dock or let me know what flight you are on and I will pick you up at the airport.

Everyone I know who loves to fish but will not commit to fishing LR just does not think they can live on a boat for 5-18 days straight or cannot afford the base price of admission.

I used free loaner gear from the boats for 4 years before buying any of my own. And I would still be using it today if it were all about convenience and cost. People who trash loaner gear are either A-holes to begin with or ignorant and need to be educated before you loan them the gear.

SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
I don't think it would bring any new folks into the game. You can already do just what was described by booking on a LR boat and asking to use loaner gear and tell them you only want to pay once so they should calculate that for you up front. Hell, I will make that deal for you right now. Tell me which boat and what trip you want on and I will make sure everything is arranged for you ahead of time. Just plan to tripple the advertised cost of the trip so I can afford to go too. You just show up at the dock or let me know what flight you are on and I will pick you up at the airport.

Everyone I know who loves to fish but will not commit to fishing LR just does not think they can live on a boat for 5-18 days straight or cannot afford the base price of admission.

I used free loaner gear from the boats for 4 years before buying any of my own. And I would still be using it today if it were all about convenience and cost. People who trash loaner gear are either A-holes to begin with or ignorant and need to be educated before you loan them the gear.
I was just watching a fishing show where anglers fly into this great lodge in northern Manitoba. World class fishing .
The trip costs include transportation to the lodge, guided fishing, meals, boat, accommodations etc. Cost is 6k each for a 6 day- 4 days of fishing. And you don’t bring home fish.
My point is that the trips we get to take and the quality of fishing we experience is a tremendous value.
This is primo guided fishing! In a primo floating lodge, with a full crew and a chef.
They could charge more and still be competitive with other premier fishing adventures.
The whole question of “should longe range shut down “ is fucking retarded.
This pandemic is passing. We will be back out fishing this season. I’m ready.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
I just saw on the news that this virus could be around for as long as two years. At 71 years of age I find that very distressing. I feel every year I am still able to fish is a blessing, If this virus lasts another two years I may never see another day fishing.

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
I just saw on the news that this virus could be around for as long as two years. At 71 years of age I find that very distressing. I feel every year I am still able to fish is a blessing, If this virus lasts another two years I may never see another day fishing.
How is your health in general? I have fished with 80+ many times. My trip is scheduled for end of August and I am still holding some hope that we will fish by then. 2 years is probably too long of A delay

Reactions: woodfish330
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Hi Lou
I have some friends in their 70s that kick butt. Keep moving, eat right,stay safe and you’ll be pulling on a fish in no time. You got this. See you at the rail.
Regards
Scott

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I could see more ultra limited loads on the longer trips. 18 passengers 18 day model. Everyone gets their own room etc. a little more pricey but promotes social distancing. At least in theory

18 passengers and 7 crew still means 25 soles on board.

With no reliable rapid results test to see if someone has COVID-19 the only way to avoid catching it on a LR boat is to only let passengers and crew who have recovered from it board the vessel. So a rapid result anti-body test would work for that.

I cannot see any vessel venturing more than a day or two away from the dock with a load of passengers as they will need to get back quickly should someone pop with symptoms. At best you could fish Guadalupe. That is if the Mexican Government can figure out a way to do the check-in without coming into contact with anyone on the boat.

My guess is that they will do a slow open on Sport Boat fishing starting with 6 packs running for the day and build from there. 20+ anglers heading out for more than a week? I hope they get it figured out. I have a 15 day next January.

Heaven help those local BFT when it does open back up!

Last edited: