eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X
I love how LR guys think that rules that are being implemented nation wide doesn’t apply to them.

That being said, I have no problem with the fleet going on as usual. A lot of LR guys are old, if you want to risk your life fishing, go for it. Younger anglers will be fine.

Don’t get hung up on the poll, it was meant to just be a discussion.
Fucking harsh dude......Lighten up fro gods sake....

Reactions: Ctony.clark

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X
Certainly have no problem with different points of view, just need some clarification. When you say China virus are you saying location, China is 3.7 million square miles or the population that is over 1.4 billion? I guess I could ask President Trump the same question?
It's called CHINA VIRUS simply because that's were it came from.. My god you PC people need to get a life...:gay:

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
I have two 8 day trips this year that are paid for. I am 71 years old with underlying health issues. If the boats cancel or I think I should go because the virus is still around, I will not ask for a refund, I will just roll the money over to trips next year.
Maybe if the stock market improves I will have the money for 2 more trips in 2021. I would love to do four 8/10 day trips in one year.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Personally.... I believe the real solution is not "evident"..... or hasn't surfaced yet. The ABBOT fast test..... We'll see. 5 minute testing of all involved sounds great. Let's see what happens.

If already on the trip.... continuous testing? If someone shows signs and tests positive. .... CG medivac out?
1 angler per stateroom for any of it? Just a few thoughts....

SlideRight

Been there...
Jul 4, 2008
So Cal
Name
Lew
Boat
ss minnow
Frank draws a lot of water in SD. He can pull some strings and reclassify his operation as ”vital“. :)
I get the humor, but even if rated 'vital', could the boats get enough customers?

Maybe the boat/landing operators can take advantage of the 'stimulus package' small business loans to bridge the situation, or better yet, bridge the entire season as need be. The loans are said to be "forgivable" providing businesses hang on to there employees - the big key IMO. I'm sure the landing/boat operators are all over this too.

Have 3 trips booked for '20 but looking very doubtful w/o a vaccine being available this year. Not going to risk taking a bug home to a wife with asthma - no way. Thinking there are a good many in simalar 'fix'. Good luck & good health to us all.

3GunSalute

Nocturnal Snow Monkey
May 24, 2014
Crowley Lake, CA; Honoka'a, HI
Name
Peter
Boat
14' Valco, Excel
Forget trying to schedule a trip based on the moon. Figure how to safely be on one of the first boats out when this settles.
All them fish, largely unmolested for however many months-- its going to be a Katie bar the doors RIPPER early on!
Imagine the break the oceans are getting right now.
Hell, people are calling me describing the "crisp, clean mountain air" in L.A.
It'll be neat to see the effects of this short period of greatly reduced human activity on the environment. It might be stark enough to move some people from 'belief/disbelief' positions to acceptance of fact.
Sucks to be us right now but this can't be bad for the fishing.

Reactions: $norkle

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Well I'd like to believe that ALL fishing is shut down.... but we all know the effects of a "foreign" fishing fleet coming in... "unabated" and cleaning out the fish we were hoping were not getting any pressure. Have we forgot what Cabo used to look like? Couldn't see them from shore.... but they were "cleaning the clock" on the outside "prohibited" banks BIG TIME! Greed is a great motivator... specially in times of great distraction.

Do you think those foreign flagged seiners care about YOUR fish. THEIR FISH now. Seen it so many times. Happens everyday out there on the giant we call the Pacific. So....let's be real. The Coast Guard helping? The Mexican Navy helping.... you decide. Payola and distraction still effective tools in the 21st century. Just saying..... what happens when we can't see / monitor it all. Sad but real.

3GunSalute

Nocturnal Snow Monkey
May 24, 2014
Crowley Lake, CA; Honoka'a, HI
Name
Peter
Boat
14' Valco, Excel
Global food supply certainly continues. I was musing from a southern CA sportfishing angle. Ponder the normal daily landing counts across the SoCal Bight. Tens of thousands of fish per day are not being taken until further notice. That was my point. I didn't mean to say that fishing had stopped entirely across the globe. I do not, however, fear mega industrial multi national conglomerated piscene extictolator factories moving in and gobbling up all the fish on our local banks and islands.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Well I'd like to believe that ALL fishing is shut down.... but we all know the effects of a "foreign" fishing fleet coming in... "unabated" and cleaning out the fish we were hoping were not getting any pressure. Have we forgot what Cabo used to look like? Couldn't see them from shore.... but they were "cleaning the clock" on the outside "prohibited" banks BIG TIME! Greed is a great motivator... specially in times of great distraction.

Do you think those foreign flagged seiners care about YOUR fish. THEIR FISH now. Seen it so many times. Happens everyday out there on the giant we call the Pacific. So....let's be real. The Coast Guard helping? The Mexican Navy helping.... you decide. Payola and distraction still effective tools in the 21st century. Just saying..... what happens when we can't see / monitor it all. Sad but real.
So true. I remember when one could catch 40 to 50lb tuna about a quarter mile from the Arch. We would also catch plenty of marlin in the same location. We would sit at the Rockaway bar and watch schooling marlin fins in the evening

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
I try not to be a "doom and gloomer".... keeping my eye on many scenarios. I'm also not talking about Palau or Samoa.

For those who've been on the LR boats and seen seiners clean the clock... you know what I mean. Worked with some but also had the whole boat wrapped by others.....WHILE FISHING... who had to open the "gate" to let us out. All in Mexico brothers. Take it for what it's worth. Don't want to "stir the hornets" but many others on LR trips too.... have been witness. So we'll see how it goes... I'm hopeful.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
NOCAL. ...you've been around long enough to have seen the many faces of LONG RANGE fishing. Permit problems and closures.... biospheres..... boat seizures .....MLPA's. All of it. There's still enough customers... for now.

I just hope it doesn't get to much more expensive. Not just the ticket price.... but the WHOLE "adventure" price complete, tackle and all. It's easy to drop $10k on a trip.... With tip and everything. (That's being conservative).

Good things are gonna come out of this brother. Just be patient.

Things will work themselves out. THERE'S MONEY INVOLVED.

Reactions: Cubeye

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Yep... family cruise to Coronado Is. to scatter gramps ashes on the lee side of the boat. It is what he wanted.

Reactions: woodfish330

SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
Quite frankly I don't think that Long Range fishing will be around in 15 or 20 years. If that long.
That’s a sad fucking thought. It’s arguably some of the finest fishing anywhere. Wide open tuna, yellows and wahoo bites.
For people who really LOVE FISHING, it’s the best. I really hope you are wrong.
Support the San Diego Long Range Fleet. Especially NOW!!!

TanstaaflSD

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Tanstaafl
Boat
n/a
Quite frankly I don't think that Long Range fishing will be around in 15 or 20 years. If that long.
I think it will be around, but it may be in homeported in a near-the-border Mexican city. It is all about the money and Mexico wants the US fisherman's LR & related business money - but first the Mex rulers will need to make a safe path for us to travel in cartel-land to a boat landing, or I'm staying in the USA.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
My vision for Long Range is this....
ONE PRICE MEANS EVERYTHING!

Like many other luxury vacations.... costing about the same amount....All you need to bring is your clothes. Period.

They supply EVERYTHING else you may need FREE. ALLof it. What ever you need....covered. Terminal tackle....free. 200 well maintained rods and reels... free. Top shots.... sinkers... jigs.... hooks... leaders .... trolling lures... NO CHARGE. Free T shirt with every ticket. No beer tabs.... soda tabs.... jackpot money....IT'S ALL INCLUDED. Even a great Crew tip.... All included. No permit fees...... no fuel surcharges NOTHING... ZERO.... ZIP.

One price....just bring your suitcase.

How many NEW customers would they get? How many guys would sell their tackle.... If this option was availible? That $10K or $20k you have already invested gets sold.... if your not gonna need it right? YOU pocket the money. Think about it....

Last edited:

SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
My vision for Long Range is this....
ONE PRICE MEANS EVERYTHING!

Like many other luxury vacations.... costing about the same amount....All you need to bring is your clothes. Period.

They supply EVERYTHING else you may need FREE. ALLof it. What ever you need....covered. Terminal tackle....free. 200 well maintained rods and reels... free. Top shots.... sinkers... jigs.... hooks... leaders .... trolling lures... NO CHARGE. Free T shirt with every ticket. No beer tabs.... soda tabs.... jackpot money....IT'S ALL INCLUDED. Even a great Crew tip.... All included. No permit fees...... no fuel surcharges NOTHING... ZERO.... ZIP.

One price....just bring your suitcase.
IMO long-range fishing is guided fishing. Not a luxury vacation. Yes, the chef’s and awesome meals make it even better, but it’s a floating lodge.
I don’t want to use boat gear, I don’t mind tipping, sodas and beers are on me. Anytime I fish or hunt with guides, we pay specific fees and permits at the time and they change based on locations.
Terminal tackle is also my deal. I wouldn’t want to depend on the boat. Gearing up is part on the fun. I do appreciate that they stock some essential items.
So to each is own.
Like I’ve always said, LR is still a tremendous value compared to other guided hunting and fishing experiences.
Especially with the catch that we bring home. We are seafood enthusiasts in my house. Tuna, wahoo, YT, grouper, Wsb it’s all good.
I am looking forward to my trips later this year. Freezer needs restocking and daddy needs to get out and fish.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
When I stated that I don't think Long Range fishing will not be around in 15 to 20 years it will be because there will be not fish to catch.

SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
When I stated that I don't think Long Range fishing will not be around in 15 to 20 years it will be because there will be not fish to catch.
Wouldn’t that suck. Good news is that the yellowtail wahoo and ground fish stocks are healthy in the areas we fish. It appears as if Our bluefin stocks are pretty good shape around us as well. Got to remain vigilant and observe those limits

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Name
John "Rio" Barbosa
Boat
cabo panga
The tsunami that wiped-out half of the Japanese fishing fleet a few years back is why the bluefin staged their massive comeback right afterwards. Maybe this Kung-Flu is what the rest of the fishys have been waitin for...Could get lots better when it’s over...