Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
California Sea Lion in Alaska
1588707811536.png

A California sea lion traded the warmer waters of Southern California for the chilly but herring-rich waters of Southeast Alaska this spring, a swim of about 2,000 miles.

Alaska fishermen working the herring roe on kelp fishery near Craig, Alaska, documented the big adult male in mid-April, 2020. His identity as a native of the Los Angeles area was confirmed by the number 9039 on his left side. He was marked by federal marine mammal researchers as a pup at San Miguel Island in in the California Channel Islands on Sept. 25, 2006. The Channel Islands are off the coast of Southern California northwest of Los Angeles.

Robert DeLong is a marine mammal researcher with NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). He wrote: “At time of marking he weighed 17.6 kg and was 96 cm in length. He should be full grown at age 13+.”

Steller sea lions are common in Southeast Alaska waters, but California sea lions are relatively rare. Adult male California sea lions like 9039 average about 800 pounds. That’s a bit larger than an adult female Steller sea lion, but half the size of a full-grown adult male Steller.

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Please put a bullet in it to help feed the poor crabs.

Reactions: marlyn

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Don't turn on the lights or disturb this thrill seeker. He is the scout and if you kill him he cannot return to lead his bretheren to the fish rich northern waters. Like Grunnion.

Unless.........he leads a massive migration of Stellar Sea Lions back to Southern California.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
When I dive I love those sea dogs to play with but at the seal rookerys is a favorite hunting ground for GW. I am a fan until they grab my yellow when fishing though.

Reactions: One_Leg

woodfish330

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Although I'm not a seal "lover".... I do try to understand their place and job in the oceanic foodchain. I have to admit that this story is truly amazing. More than 2000 miles out of its traditional range... why? There's not enough for them to eat at the Channel Islands.... really?

Although they are talking about a 13 year journey.....He had to come upon areas of greater abundance.....somewhere along the way. Yet still showed up there.

All I can say....There are a couple of big fat "bastards" at the bait receivers on my last LR trip....... full of YT.....LOL.

Be safe out there brothers.

billa

Sep 27, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Name
Bill
Boat
20' NorthRiver.
That thing is a fucking monster. The size of a bull elk!

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
That thing is a fucking monster. The size of a bull elk!

"Adult male California sea lions like 9039 average about 800 pounds. That’s a bit larger than an adult female Steller sea lion, but half the size of a full-grown adult male Steller."

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
The practice of “saving” washed up seal pups on SoCal beaches is an act against nature especially with an overloaded population.

Men and women manipulating the biosphere for no justifiable reason! Solve the homeless dilemma first.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Looks like there is a mechanism for California to petition NOAA to take over management of the California Sealion.

The MMPA calls those levels the Optimum Sustainable Population (OSP), and provides options for states to take over management of species that have reached their OSP.

California sea lions have now reached those levels, according to the new assessment by scientists from NOAA Fisheries’ Alaska Fisheries Science Center and Southwest Fisheries Science Center. They published the results of the long-term collaborative study today in the Journal of Wildlife Management.

“The population has basically come into balance with its environment,” said coauthor Sharon Melin, a research biologist at the Alaska Fisheries Science Center who has tracked sea lion numbers in Southern California’s Channel Islands for years. “The marine environment is always changing, and their population is at a point where it responds very quickly to changes in the environment.”

Reactions: fishin_kid

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
I :deadhorse baby seals..

Reactions: karlk1125

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
With a commercial fishing license I was able to purchase seal bombs. Legal M-80 firecrackers for this kid way back when...

Reactions: maurice escobedo

Maing

Maing
Oct 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Maing
Boat
Me yak fer now
Holy crap!!! I was reading this and didn’t look at the numbers put onto the sea lion. I assumed it was a single brand that had 9039. I scrolled back up and didn’t need to zoom in at all!! Holy crap!!! Keep branding that way! They scared him outa socal for good!!! But on the flip side! Branding that dude with 10 or 12” numbers ..... 4 of em... yeah, that humanitarian all the way!!!

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Researchers need to invent technology that drives the sea lions hundreds of yards away when in use. It should be compact and affordable.