Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
Vewey Interesting, need to look into that
Lou

Try looking at excess deaths. CDC tracks it on a weekly basis, although their data tends to run several weeks in arrears. This link shows their chart:

Speaking in round numbers, there are 57,000 to 58,000 deaths per week in the US. In February, CoVid added essentially zero to this number. By mid April, CoVid was up to about 13,000 deaths per week, pushing the total up to about 72,000 deaths per week. After that, the numbers fall off due to the lag in data reporting.

This link has numbers rather than a chart, so you can see deaths from all causes along side CoVid deaths.

Edit: In addition to the 55,000 CoVid deaths, there are an additional 24,000 deaths coded as CoVid plus pneumonia. So did the CoVid cause the pneumonia, or did they already have it and the CoVid just happened along? That question is above my pay grade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Montaukmaniac

Russ Scholl

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
But Lou, the funny thing is ,
In the last 2 months, no one has
Died from natural causes,
100% from Cova-19,
Can’t let that one pass even though offered in jest probably-unfortunately “They “ are still dying of other causes with considerable regularity.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Can’t let that one pass even though offered in jest probably-unfortunately “They “ are still dying of other causes with considerable regularity.
I hate to say it, but all of our clocks started the day we were born, just like Titan said,
I came close 2 years ago, of dieing ,
But I didn’t, So when my time is up,
It is what it is.

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
I hate to say it, but all of our clocks started the day we were born, just like Titan said,
I came close 2 years ago, of dieing ,
But I didn’t, So when my time is up,
It is what it is.
"So when my time is up, It is what it is." Well, good for you. Some of us give a shit about those that may be impacted by our decision to go fishing at any cost including "dieing". That type of attitude is exactly why I will opt out from going on LR this year.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Let’s be realistic here guys. You will have to take an enormous risk getting on a boat with bunch of strangers from all over the country. You have to decide for yourself if it is worth it. I am sure the boats will do their absolute best to keep you safe but there is only so much they can do. Wearing masks 24/7 is not going to happen. People do not sleep with their masks on, nor will they wear them properly anyway. The pre-board testing is useless as you could get infected while leaving the testing office. This shitty situation is not a fault of the LR fleet and it suck they are getting slammed financially, but so are so many other businesses. Until there is a vaccine for it, you are on your own and you will Have to decide what risk is acceptable to you. Good luck to all of you.View attachment 1144395
There is no way to definitively prove those people contracted the virus from that one choir practice. I am skeptical about the data accuracy and its media promotion as they are politically and budgetary motivated.

If you want to go long range fishing, these are the new "temporary" guidelines. Life is about taking chances...choose wisely!

- Jeff Burroughs

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
"So when my time is up, It is what it is." Well, good for you. Some of us give a shit about those that may be impacted by our decision to go fishing at any cost including "dieing". That type of attitude is exactly why I will opt out from going on LR this year.
its just A fact , Worry lord, plan and simple

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Let’s be realistic here guys. You will have to take an enormous risk getting on a boat with bunch of strangers from all over the country. You have to decide for yourself if it is worth it. I am sure the boats will do their absolute best to keep you safe but there is only so much they can do. Wearing masks 24/7 is not going to happen. People do not sleep with their masks on, nor will they wear them properly anyway. The pre-board testing is useless as you could get infected while leaving the testing office. This shitty situation is not a fault of the LR fleet and it suck they are getting slammed financially, but so are so many other businesses. Until there is a vaccine for it, you are on your own and you will Have to decide what risk is acceptable to you. Good luck to all of you.View attachment 1144395
Absolute bullshit right here.This picture and what it claims,not your post.No way i'd believe that.

Reactions: Workplacesafety

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
Absolute bullshit right here.This picture and what it claims,not your post.No way i'd believe that.
well, here is the link. The age group is important and let’s face it, the age group on LR does not fall under “spring chicken” ;)

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
PCR tests can now have results in 48-72 hours. Theoretically yes as soon as you leave the lab you could get infected but this is the best method to prevent you from getting on the boat with an infection. This is the same methodology that is being used by surgical centers at this time to prevent potential infected patients coming in for elective surgery. In fact the surgery centers are having this testing done 3 to 5 days prior to the surgery and asking the patient to isolate until then. I don’t think it’ll be a major sacrifice for people who want to go fishing badly enough to isolate for three days before getting on the boat .Bottom line if you don’t want to be tested, and isolate, don’t plan on getting on a long range boat..
The kind of guys that will get on a long range boat during a pandemic, are not the kind of guys that will self isolate 3-5 days prior to the trip. Good luck with that.

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
The proposed handling plans for all 3 of Franks boats are pretty consistent, and I know all crews are proactively looking for ways to resume their operations. But 2 thoughts come to mind...

What will be the mitigation strategy if someone develops symptoms while in the middle of a trip? No tests have been advertised as being 100% accurate, and there appears to be an asymptomatic period of up to a week or more from contraction prior to exhibiting symptoms. Immediate return to port? Medivac? Will they have to establish a "quarantine stateroom"? (with independent air handling, HEPA filters, etc.?) And what about the impact on everyone else's trip as a result of it? And then afterwards, how do you assure that the boat has been rendered completely "virus free" before the next group boards? LOTS of potential liability issues to consider in all this - one instance could result in bankruptcy for the owner, and death for a passenger (or crew member!)...

I guess I'm less worried about the on-going sanitization once on the trip. If we've successfully made it past the bait tank without a single virus cell physically on the boat, then it's not gonna magically materialize mid-trip. Hand washing after you use the lavatory, cleaning the showers and galley regularly, cooks wearing hairnets and gloves, etc. is just prudent sanitary practice. I'd prefer to not catch e-coli on the trip either! But the whole masks thing, and limited seating for meals, etc. seems a bit overkill IF (and this is a big IF) the virus never got on the boat in the first place...

I just hope this whole thing gets sorted out before my November 11-day...

Phishy Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 15, 2019
SoCal
Name
Phil
Boat
Vagbond
My prediction - there will be no overnight boats without testing. I see no scenario where I would be willing to risk my family without everyone being tested, In addition, the regulators, insurers, and crew have to be satisfied. Does anybody else, preferably on the older end of the spectrum (as many long rangers are), have a plan that is feasible without testing? Although nothing is perfect, if everybody was tested before boarding I am probably ready to give at a go. After that, I agree with DannyNoonan - if you keep the bugs off the boat in the first place, we can all get tangled in the corner with no real worries.

Just my opinion...

Reactions: Cubeye

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
The risk goes up the longer the trip. I still think 5-7 day trips are possible so long as the boat is within 24 hours of SD.

Until things get fully sorted out anyone getting on a LR boat is accepting the risk that the trip will be cut short if someone becomes ill. No refund, you knew the risk when you boarded.

Reactions: Steve K

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat
none
The risk goes up the longer the trip. I still think 5-7 day trips are possible so long as the boat is within 24 hours of SD.

Until things get fully sorted out anyone getting on a LR boat is accepting the risk that the trip will be cut short if someone becomes ill. No refund, you knew the risk when you boarded.
I May be, and hopefully wrong, but as of now, I don't believe anyone has Bio/Lupe permits, so the likelihood of being within range of SD is highly probable. Just my thought on getting off the dock; I believe the first restriction that is going to have to take place is the do not sail order for cruise ships, not sure, it's just my assumption and you know where assumption gets you at times. I hope somebody can prove me wrong on the permits though?? Reminds me of a good chess match, where something or someone will have to be sacrificed to make any gain.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Well, on the plus side the commercial fishing has hit a snag on fish too. Should be good fishing when it opens up. One side of my brain is logic, and the other side is emotional. On life or death issues, the logic side wins.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Restaurants are closed. Fish processing plants too. If you can not sell the catch, you do not leave port.

Last edited:

BlueFinGrin

Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...
Apr 8, 2006
Blue Marble
Name
Grinner
Boat
A Big One - That Floats
Without a COVID-19 vaccine being on-hand... and widely available, for me - the thought of getting on any sport boat with 20-30 other anglers and crew would be like stepping in the ring with a 21 year-old Mike Tyson. The outcome of doing so is highly predictable...

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
Name
Boomer
Boat
Any one that floats.
Without a COVID-19 vaccine being on-hand... and widely available, for me - the thought of getting on any sport boat with 20-30 other anglers and crew would be like stepping in the ring with a 21 year-old Mike Tyson. The outcome of doing so is highly predictable...

I’d take a 99% recovery rate over stepping in the ring with Tyson any day.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I May be, and hopefully wrong, but as of now, I don't believe anyone has Bio/Lupe permits, so the likelihood of being within range of SD is highly probable. Just my thought on getting off the dock; I believe the first restriction that is going to have to take place is the do not sail order for cruise ships, not sure, it's just my assumption and you know where assumption gets you at times. I hope somebody can prove me wrong on the permits though?? Reminds me of a good chess match, where something or someone will have to be sacrificed to make any gain.
Those Guadalupe permits usually aren't granted, until mid June or early July.

Phishy Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 15, 2019
SoCal
Name
Phil
Boat
Vagbond
It does not insure - but it makes the odds incredibly better. Only a very small percent of the population is infected. If we can reduce that population by 90%or more, the odds start looking way better to me and that's when I start looking at any other abatement methods available. Remember, the sport fishing odds are gigantically better than the cruise ships - the chances right now of having 1 person infected out of 30 is already pretty small, and testing should reduce that population by over 90%. On the other hand, with the hundreds and thousands of people on the typical cruise ship, it approaches certainty that without testing there will be somebody on the ship ship that is infected and still with testing orders of magnitude greater chance that someone will be infected.

I live my life by policy of risk management - mitigate the risks to where it's acceptable to you, then go for it. I think that testing and still doing what you can to mitigate risks while on board (Vagabond is getting Vagabond neck gaiters made, be stylish and safer), will probably lower the risks to where I will be willing to go out. I am not planning to be on the first boats out...