SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
i am really distraught over the Covid situation as I have underlying lung and kidney conditions. I had so much hope for doing a lot of fishing in my retirement years along with international travel. I just don't know what I am going to do to keep busy.
Fucking fucking bummer.
It’s a bummer, but we will get through this.

Reactions: weeza

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
I figured, I’m not to bummed, but my dad who was going on as his first 8 day I’d bummed I think, whenever I say something he doesn’t appreciate it. I took the travel insurance just in case, but if it comes down to not goin, I’ll rebook for a fall trip
Sounds like to me your Dad has a fine Son. Good luck in the future.

TanstaaflSD

Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Tanstaafl
Boat
n/a
i am really distraught over the Covid situation as I have underlying lung and kidney conditions. I had so much hope for doing a lot of fishing in my retirement years along with international travel. I just don't know what I am going to do to keep busy.
Fucking fucking bummer.
I too am a very seasoned citizen.......
I suggest you take-up ocean surf fishing -- wonderful for attitude in the very early mornings and you get back to the ocean and saltwater .....
then later in the year maybe a six-pack or such day trip to the islands or guide for white seabass as the therapies get better and
-- I hope -- finally by fall of 2021 we have a US, UK, or Israel vaccine and I am back to LR, with old gear and new hopes for 1 year bigger fish.
Tight lines,

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Too much paranoia for my liking...I’m more afraid of what they’re doing to our economy and way of life than of this stupid virus...! Too many people in charge wanna see us down the tubes just to gain power...IMO
Anyone notice the country that most benefits from this virus outbreak is the one where it started? Now they get cheap oil to build all of the cheap shit people have to buy now. Plus they're banking on all of the medicine and medical supplies.

I don't believe in that many coincidences all lining up like that to work in their favor but hey, I'm just a conservative produce guy

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
Let’s be realistic here guys. You will have to take an enormous risk getting on a boat with bunch of strangers from all over the country. You have to decide for yourself if it is worth it. I am sure the boats will do their absolute best to keep you safe but there is only so much they can do. Wearing masks 24/7 is not going to happen. People do not sleep with their masks on, nor will they wear them properly anyway. The pre-board testing is useless as you could get infected while leaving the testing office. This shitty situation is not a fault of the LR fleet and it suck they are getting slammed financially, but so are so many other businesses. Until there is a vaccine for it, you are on your own and you will Have to decide what risk is acceptable to you. Good luck to all of you.
2C28A58C-1F80-49DD-B84B-7FB52387464A.jpeg

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I want to fish too!! But the virus is here, it does spread widely -- and there is no reliable treatment for it. It does hit older people more often than younger people, but it can hit anyone. We need to be careful. I can't imagine there is any way that we can be safe on a long range boat. Not yet. Soon I hope.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
If you're waiting for a vaccine to save you you'll most likely be waiting forever. Ultra limited loads are probably going to be the wave of the immediate future. I hear the term "herd immunity" thrown around a lot, but the simple fact is that will never occur by keeping people locked down. Bottom line is if stepping on the boat bothers you, then don't do it.

esgeo

Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
I’ve been entertaining this perspective for a while, and for me, it’s the depressing reality. My situation is complicated further by being out of state and needing to get on an airplane to get to SD. The non-starter for me there is that I could get infected on the plane and bring it on board for everyone. I feel it’s my responsibility as your fellow citizen and fishing community member to not do just that. Furthermore, my personal behavior since all this started has been very “socially distant”. We have a 2 month old baby at home, and no local family so we have been taking care of her independent of any other help. If my wife and/or I were to get sick, it would sure complicate that situation- so again more risk than reward. As much as I want to go fishing, I can’t justify breaking my own rules and putting my family at greater risk. At a personal health level, I am a younger guy (mid-40’s) but have a genetic condition that makes me at potentially higher risk from having a cardiac arrest or stroke if I get a bad case of the disease, so I’m probably going to behave more cautiously than most others in my demographic.

I believe in freedom as something intrinsic to our American way of life, and something about being out on the open ocean fishing encapsulates that for me. It’s an odd situation to be in, to want us to have our freedom to still do that, but also expect people to be knowledgeable and responsible enough to make the best decision for themselves, their families, and their communities. My perspective says getting on a party boat before this disease is way better controlled is a mistake, but to each their own. Obviously having immunity (either from prior infection or vaccine) changes the situation a great deal, so it’s really more complicated than what I have written. My short term solution was to get myself a fishing kayak, and try to keep the itch scratched with that hobby.

I will wrap it up and say I feel for all you guys, and especially the operators and their employees, as well as the charter masters, as they are having to make decisions under some really adverse conditions. I hope whatever happens, people at least take it upon themselves to think through these new potential risks we are facing and make whatever decision they truly believe is best. Be well everyone.

Eric

Let’s be realistic here guys. You will have to take an enormous risk getting on a boat with bunch of strangers from all over the country. You have to decide for yourself if it is worth it. I am sure the boats will do their absolute best to keep you safe but there is only so much they can do. Wearing masks 24/7 is not going to happen. People do not sleep with their masks on, nor will they wear them properly anyway. The pre-board testing is useless as you could get infected while leaving the testing office. This shitty situation is not a fault of the LR fleet and it suck they are getting slammed financially, but so are so many other businesses. Until there is a vaccine for it, you are on your own and you will Have to decide what risk is acceptable to you. Good luck to all of you.View attachment 1144395

cow man

Tuna addict
Aug 29, 2012
Glide Or. 97443
Name
Jake Waardenburg
Boat
N/A
Let’s be realistic here guys. You will have to take an enormous risk getting on a boat with bunch of strangers from all over the country. You have to decide for yourself if it is worth it. I am sure the boats will do their absolute best to keep you safe but there is only so much they can do. Wearing masks 24/7 is not going to happen. People do not sleep with their masks on, nor will they wear them properly anyway. The pre-board testing is useless as you could get infected while leaving the testing office. This shitty situation is not a fault of the LR fleet and it suck they are getting slammed financially, but so are so many other businesses. Until there is a vaccine for it, you are on your own and you will Have to decide what risk is acceptable to you. Good luck to all of you.View attachment 1144395
Boy look what this shit has done to us!! People are walking around with masks on and paralyzed with fear you can see it in they’re eyes.. it’s already been proven masks don’t keep the virus out .
Pretty sure people aren’t gonna go LR fishing wearing masks for 14/16 days, I know I’m not!! And I’m damn sure not gonna wear on to bed.. like going to bed alone and wearing a rubber!!
we take risks every day and surely every time we get on a LR boat it’s what I do what I love to do pretty much what drives me.. hope I don’t have to start living my life in fear. We get on these boats knowing you have a good chance of catching something, (cold or flu ) and do most times, that sure doesn’t stop me..
Been through a lot in my days , I refuse to let this thing rule my life!!

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat
none
So, Alot of different views, mixed feelings and what each individual actually gets out of the sport boat experience. For some it's all about the kill, for some it's the pure adrenaline of a big BF crashing on a bait, and even that feel of a slack line suddenly free spooling at extreme rate of speed then BAM, FRESH ONE!, HOOK UP! Or whatever you choose, That's why we do it, but going even further, I couldn't help but think about why I really enjoy the whole sport boat experience, Yes it's all I mentioned above, but it's also the comradery sharing time with like minds, passing a beer to someone you just met, crashing and bumping shoulders, weaving in and away from the rail when you have a hot one, toasting a vintage wine at the end of a great day at sea, dipping a couple oreo's out of the container when I pass the galley or even grabbing a beer out of the cooler any moment I feel, "you know, some of the things a person would not normally do in everyday life, I really feel at piece when at sea, and really enjoy the whole trip experience, The fish, for me are a bonus. Now,.. take most of that away and think about it........ No congragating at the bait tank 'where I normally give my new found friends or guy's a fished with for years, a bit of shit on how they handle the bait:), or something as simple as following your line on the rail, sharing stories on the top deck with a couple beers, Social distance? I think not. It's just FUCKED and the ONLY way, at least for me, to be able to enjoy the WHOLE experience again, unfortunately will take time, time for a cure, time for a vaccine, time to get this thing behind us. I have not cancelled or rescheduled any trips as of yet, but as they get closer I am at odds with how much I can really enjoy a trip with these boundaries in place..Time,Time,Time will tell. JMTC

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Yet more people die from car crashes and natural causes than this China virus... what we gonna do stop driving not make any more cars?? Get real!! We all just want to go fishing period!!! Ps California governor is an idiot.
To die in a car crash is not contagious, neither is people that die from natural causes.

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
So, Alot of different views, mixed feelings and what each individual actually gets out of the sport boat experience. For some it's all about the kill, for some it's the pure adrenaline of a big BF crashing on a bait, and even that feel of a slack line suddenly free spooling at extreme rate of speed then BAM, FRESH ONE!, HOOK UP! Or whatever you choose, That's why we do it, but going even further, I couldn't help but think about why I really enjoy the whole sport boat experience, Yes it's all I mentioned above, but it's also the comradery sharing time with like minds, passing a beer to someone you just met, crashing and bumping shoulders, weaving in and away from the rail when you have a hot one, toasting a vintage wine at the end of a great day at sea, dipping a couple oreo's out of the container when I pass the galley or even grabbing a beer out of the cooler any moment I feel, "you know, some of the things a person would not normally do in everyday life, I really feel at piece when at sea, and really enjoy the whole trip experience, The fish, for me are a bonus. Now,.. take most of that away and think about it........ No congragating at the bait tank 'where I normally give my new found friends or guy's a fished with for years, a bit of shit on how they handle the bait:), or something as simple as following your line on the rail, sharing stories on the top deck with a couple beers, Social distance? I think not. It's just FUCKED and the ONLY way, at least for me, to be able to enjoy the WHOLE experience again, unfortunately will take time, time for a cure, time for a vaccine, time to get this thing behind us. I have not cancelled or rescheduled any trips as of yet, but as they get closer I am at odds with how much I can really enjoy a trip with these boundaries in place..Time,Time,Time will tell. JMTC
" I Feel Your Pain"