Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I just finished my 11th LR trip traveling from TN. The more I go, the more I realize these trips are way more than just fishing. The sites, reviving friendships from the prior year and getting away from the rat race is becoming as important, if not more, than the fishing itself.

We just concluded an absolute epic trip on the Excel boating over 800 fish for 28 anglers. I didn't have my best trip fishing wise, but I enjoyed the trip nonetheless. Here's but a very few of my memories. You'll note, there are no pix of any fish.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Good boat and you are right!!!

Upvote 0

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I have many other photos, but unfortunately, my new camera has too many megapixels and I'm too darn lazy to resize them, sorry. Major jet lag at the moment.

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
I don't know about all of you, but I go on these trips to fish... second. The experience of being out on the water, seeing things and places you have never seen before. Making new friends and re-connecting with friends that you have fished with (I have compared it to an adult summer camp to friends). The trip is all about having a nice vacation, and the fish are the bonus. As a good friend once said to me, some times you are the hammer and some times you are the nail, and that can change with a simple hand-off or a rotation of the sun. We all aren't hot all the time, but that isn't why we do these trips. Being on the water is good enough for me.

-Connor

Upvote 0

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
Yup, you nailed it. These trips are about so much more. The anticipation months prior to the trip, and all that makes a trip special. Food, friends (new and old), being away from work, stress reduction...it is all part of it. I like the analogy of a "adult summer camp"! With that said, still enjoy the catching part, but regardless a trip is not measured in pure "numbers"...2 weeks and I'll be on the Excel...hoping my back cooperates, as it is giving me hell right now...

Reactions: Maitai53
Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
I agree with you all.

Have you ever watched a really good painter? The actual paint application is maybe 5-8% of the time spent--its the prep work--filling, smoothing, sanding, etc. that allows the paint job to be successful and something to be proud of. This fishing "hobby" is similar--not just the time we spend obsessing about gear, when to go, etc., but look around and you'll lots of questions about a knot that might be a bit better in certain circumstances, how to make a reel cast just a little further, what lures to use in different situations, etc. And we do more of it on the boat, after of course re-capping and BSing about the days activities, which we already know about because we did them!

When we're not fishing on our trips, we're spending time with people just as obssesed, uh crazy, I mean dedicated, as we are. I've been lucky and happy to make many friends, even if I see them only on a boat.

Its all good.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Jon thanks for posting this. I realized a long time ago that fishing is not all about how the fishing is or who catches the most or even the biggest fish on the boat. I enjoy just being out on the water meeting up with friends I have met in the past and becoming new friends with passengers I meet for the first time. Just think that not everyone can go out on these long range trips. You have to have time and money.. and most important the ok from the boss (my wife) I always think about how special it is when we get to see the porpoise having fun swimming next to the boat and jumping and having fun in there playground. The sunsets and wild life
(birds... turtles... whales) are all priceless.
bear-magic-dolphin-nuke-76749.jpg
sunset-cruise-1.jpg
th
Clarion-Island-King-Kong_The-Watermans-Journal.jpg

Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
I truly LOVE these trips. I have stopped fishing anywhere else altogether, and quit many other activities, just to be able to afford longer trips. Yes, I love to fish, and catching fish is just an added attraction. The whole experience is what does it for me. No job, no phones, no worries, just good people, great food, and the challenge of man against fish. I have said it before jokingly, but this obsession truly is "the most fun you can have with your clothes on".

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Some amazing places we get to travel to. And the things we get to see, priceless!

Reactions: arkansastuna
Upvote 0

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Yup, you nailed it. These trips are about so much more. The anticipation months prior to the trip, and all that makes a trip special. Food, friends (new and old), being away from work, stress reduction...it is all part of it. I like the analogy of a "adult summer camp"! With that said, still enjoy the catching part, but regardless a trip is not measured in pure "numbers"...2 weeks and I'll be on the Excel...hoping my back cooperates, as it is giving me hell right now...

hay bud. left you a message on your thread about our trip on the big X.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    it's detox from society and work. Great people, great fishing and total break from the cell phones and computer screens. Nothing like being on the deck in the wee hours of the morning and just relaxing and looking at the stars and watching the glow grow on the horizon

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Great report and I completely agree. In fact since all the boats now have internet connections a part of what I really loved about Long range fishing has been lost.

Reactions: yellowfish26
    Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    I really enjoy the first half day, when everyone is preparing their gear, catching up on old friendships and beginning new ones. Of course, this includes showing off new rods and reels, ruminating upon new jigs and lures and wondering about how the fishing will be.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    One of the things I enjoy is sitting in a chair with my feet on the rail, enjoying a cocktail and watching the world go by. On a travel day, heading south, it's excitement and anticipation and on the way back up the line, a chance to reminisce about the standout moments of the trip just completed. And of course looking forward to the same trip next season. It'll be here again before you know it. :)

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    Well said my friend..!!

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
    May 19, 2006
    Crowley Lake, CA
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    Gone but not forgotten
    I am one of the fortunate few in more ways than one. I get to live in the Eastern Sierras, retired with none of the frustrations from working or living in Southern California. I am surrounded by the wonders of nature.

But even fewer folks get to enjoy the wonders and sights that come with fishing long range. It is just a small fraction of a percentage of one percent that get to experience what we do. I truly enjoy the fishing, not the best one the rail, but not the worst. But what really makes the trip for me is getting to the docks and seeing all those familiar faces, with a few fresh ones mixed in. The friendships I have made provide me with more memorable memories than most fish I have caught, and I mean to include crew members in these thoughts as well.

Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    I always like to experience all of what can be experienced when on the water. On my last long trip, I finally saw a whale shark, and it was a highlight of the trip. One thing I like about fishing long trips, is that I concentrate on Seabass, Halibut, and Calico fishing locally. I like to fish charters, mainly to the Channel Islands, and enjoy the company of friends on those trips.

It always strikes me that even at the local islands, you are in a pristine location, that in many ways is more isolated from the hustle of the city then being a hundred miles away in the mountains. So many people will never experience some of the amazing sights that can be seen on even local trips. I was at fishing Santa Cruz Island a couple of summers back, and there was a Bald Eagle sitting on a tree on the island. We threw a small rockfish behind the boat, and watched the Eagle swoop down and take it off the water. That sight made the trip, and I could have been skunked that trip, but still have gone home satisfied after seeing that.

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0