back-breaker

Almost A Member
Sep 30, 2005
Arcata
Name
Jim Simondet
Boat
22 foot Boston Whaler Outrage
fun times were to be had working those fri and sat night trips to Shrewbury Rocks or 17 fath bank in NJ we would have 70- 80 people on a 80 ft boat. Captain may be on his 2nd 6 pack /1st 8 ball by the time we got anchored up. total pandemonium. but memorable..
Man that brings back memories. I worked 76-82 in Freeport and Point Lookout with the Captain Al and Bill fleet. Hope someday I share the rail with guys like you and John to swap stories. Those were crazy times and I learned a hell of alot about fishing

Reactions: JohnTFT
JohnTFT
JohnTFT
I used to see Billy Lindroth pretty regular. The Al still sails every day.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica from San Diego
Name
Brad
Boat
Yamaha FX SHO
Me and Canyonman grew up in the same neighborhood working and fishing on the head boats of Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn NY.

My boss thought a good night of fishing had zero to do with catching fish. He would tell us he was fishing for dead presidents and proceed to put 75 people on the boat night bluefishing.

Add some alcohol and gambling - combat fishing no. It was war!

We have been fishing LR for the same amount of time. The lessons learned in the canyons of the NE prepared me and Joe for being able to rig our terminal really well.

We look at conditions and can apply techniques like Wahoodad mentioned. Start fishing off the bow work your way to the stern to avoid the inevitable tangles a crowded stern creates.

Flyling a sardine - still learning. Watch guys like Steve Lindsay, Jim Beck, Tim Turis and you will figure it out.

For me this point of my LR fishing experience is friends and the boat ride! I love travel days. When you work as much as I do - downtime is really appreciated.

The challenge of big fish from an anchored boat for me is a drug. I cant get enough of it and keep coming back for more.

05 thought way before. Makes sense now.

Learning the sardine takes thousands of hours. And that's on light line

Reactions: bigreddog
Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
05 thought way before. Makes sense now.

Learning the sardine takes thousands of hours. And that's on light line
What makes sense?

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Would had been better for the industry. If you started your LR carrier in 1990 and not 2005
Thanks for that. I wish I did too. Pretty sure had I come out west when I was 25 I would never left and would be working on or owning a LR operation.

Its been a great deal of fun.

Nothing like the LR fleet and how they run their businesses. The industry I grew up in and worked in, is not even remotely close to what exists in San Diego.

Upvote 0

conchydong

Untitled
Jun 5, 2008
Pompano Beach FL
Name
Scott
Boat
Rock Bottom
Another Floridian here. I have been on two 10 day trips on the Qualifier 105. Wish she was still operating in California. Oh well. My last trip was in 2010. Due to several issues, unfortunately, I haven't been able to get back again but another trip is still on my wish list.
One thing is that fish are fish and although some techniques may vary, someone that knows how to fish can make whatever adjustments in gear and methods and be quite successful. As far as terminology, it is a quick learning curve and not rocket science. The captains, crew and some fellow anglers can teach you a lot. They know what they are doing.

I personally loved the rides down and back up getting to know and meet new friends. Maybe I was just lucky to have hooked up on the right trips (Cowboy's Tuna Round Up). It was a great group. To me, the comraderie was just as much fun as the fishing. The great food is another bonus.

Like Wahoodad, I found if I pinned a sardine and walked up to the bow and cast out, I could get bit with the same frequency or better than the folks shoulder to shoulder in the stern. As you start to get near the crowd, start winding in slowly. Repeat the drill.

Anyway, keep at it and I hope someday I can join you at the rail.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

• Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    Addressing the OP's point about main line weight versus leader weight, I started fishing out of San Diego right about when spectra lines started to become standard usage (2001?). The captains on a lot of boats didn't like the change at first (most people don't like change), but over just a couple of years the idea really took over, and there was no going back. The advantages are obvious.

Like the OP, at first I didn't understand why you might want to fish a lighter weight leader on a stronger (not really "heavier") main line. To understand, you have to change your mindset just a little. The way it was explained to me at the time made the light bulb over my head go on.

The thing is, the fish fighting happens at the end of the line...the hook/knot/leader/leader-to-main line connection. So (I was told), if you're fishing a 40lb fluoro leader, you're fishing 40lbs...even if your main line is 65lb spectra. And if you take a minute to think about it, it makes sense.

It also makes a setup much more versatile, especially when fishing lighter line. Suppose I have Saltiga 40 2-speed spooled with 65lb solid spectra and mounted on a UC 76 Predator (a cobination I use quite a lot). I could use a leader as light as 30lbs, though the rod is a little powerful to fight just 10lbs of drag. But I can also fish that same setup with a 40lb leader, a 50lb leader, and even a 60lb leader...both the reel and the rod will perform amazingly at all of those leader weights. And changing "setups" is as easy as tying a Pena or an FG knot. Meanwhile, the main line cuts through the water easier than even 30lb mono...which, if you think about it, all that the main line really has to do. Under most conditions, I shouldn't have to worry about the main line anyway.

Obviously this is just my own opinion, but it has worked well for me for 20 years, and I envision it working for me for as long as I fish the Pacific out of Point Loma. YMMV.

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
    Texas
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    To be determined
    Lines get crossed a lot off the stern of the boat. It’s almost always the mainline catching the abuse. Use the heavy mainline and drop down with the leader. Like Jim said even the slightly heavier spectra cuts thru the water easily so why not.

Reactions: Rodless_Jim
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica from San Diego
    Name
    Brad
    Boat
    Yamaha FX SHO
    The extreme pressure is near the fish.

Btw: The SD fleet is on another level. Imo because it has a good dash of beach/surfer style :D comes with the territory. Sun tan raccoon eyes

Upvote 0