Long Range Camaraderie – Random acts of kindness. Any stories?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Pangamaster, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Martini Time

Martini Time Newbie

Name:
    Bob Perkins
    Boat:
    Not Decided Yet
    Your on, I will be checking also, which is most AMs on the LR action.
    Short story, on a Trip back a few years, couple guys, friends were on the same trip with me. Shogun, while on the rail waiting for the loading to finish, and going to the bait receiver, my two friends, who came down to the landing together come over and some what shy said, ah, Bob, seems we can't find my reel bag. It must be in the gear around the deck, you know, all stacked. Well, it seems it was back home on the Kitchen floor, as they were informed by his wife, who was looking at it. ??????, Now being the realist I am, no way can she get to the boat, ready to pull out, and home in the San Fernando Valley........You got to be kidding, small laugh, smile, etc......No problem, as I usually over pack........help your self, there should enough rods/reels for both of you. Had a great trip.
    Still rub them with this one.

2. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Bob Franco, known as "DON" Franco, the godfather of fishing. One of the greatest and most helpful on LR fishing, always handing off fish, teaching how to tie knots, just a great guy. Another great person was "Harvey" with the greek hat and padded tackle box, who was also so helpful and friendly. (RIP Harvey)
    All of you are probably too young to know who these great guys were, but they will always be great memories for when I first started fishing. (dang, showing my age again)

Hibneth and hagridfish like this.
  3. hagridfish

hagridfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    Yes, Old Harv', was one of a kind. I miss him.

4. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    Soda is a great guy and I wish he would go on trips shorter than 15 days!

5. Chris Penning

Chris Penning Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Total Ho
    I'll add my two cents in here. I did my first LR, an 8-day on the Intrepid, in 2014. I met a bunch of great folks on that trip and no sooner than we got back home, they called and said hey we're booked on the Intrepid for next year, come join us.

So this year comes, we (my buddy and I and the other group totaling about 14) board the boat, and head south. Three hours in we blow a transmission line and Jesus comes down to say we have to head back. Next morning the mechanic shows up and says he's got about 6 days worth of work (many will recognize this mishap from July. Turned out to be more like three weeks I think).

Anyway, as I'm bumming at my misfortune (I live on the east coast and this was my vacation for the year), the ringleader of my new found friends saddles up to me and says, I'm working a plan to rent another boat for a 3.5 day, and I want you and Bob to go with us. And I'm picking up the entire tab. And that he did. Single handedly he salvage my vacation.

I will never be able to repay his kindness. But I did give his adopted son a rod that I won, that the Angler's Choice owner/chartermaster (his name escapes me right now) gave away all of the sponsor prizes he brought along on the trip that went bust (another great act of kindness that should not go unrecognized), along with a reel that I won (doubly lucky that trip). I made a deal with him. I told him if he caught a fish using the rod/reel combo, he could have the reel too. Needless to say, he caught a nice 30lb class BFT in Cali waters on that 3.5 day.

lee337, jerryl, Pangamaster and 3 others like this.
  6. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    ReelLady - Bob Franco.....aka the Fishing Machine? If it's the same guy, he was a regular on the Q105 and I learned a lot from that guy way back in the day.

7. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Thank you.

Become a Charter master and realize just how true this statement is.

Bravo for getting it.

gved823, Bill W and Tim Turis like this.
  8. reellady

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Yes, same person. He was West Coast Fishing.
    the Godfather

9. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I've been known to buy people beer and mark it on my buddy's number

egarratt, IParker and embo like this.
  10. reellady

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    I will remember that next time I fish with you

11. okie man

okie man I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    Great bites are just that, great bites ! It's the people you meet that leave the greatest memories!

Anglewood, pthein and Fishybuzz like this.
  12. fishbone24

fishbone24 Member

Name:
    Corey
    Boat:
    2014 Henriques 42 HTEX "fishbone" 2016 mako 234 “lil fishbone”
    I taught soda pop how to tie a proper san diego knot, he said "I did it so well I could tie all his hooks on!"

Pangamaster and Fishybuzz like this.
  13. MightyKong

MightyKong Newbie

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Predator/Pacific Quest

14. Ready4TheYellow

Ready4TheYellow The Fishing Guru

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    The Fishing SHO
    Great thread here. I have had many great long range trips as passenger and as Chartermaster. I remember my first LR trip on the Shogun like it was yesterday. I had been fishing the 2 day boats every other weekend before my first and decided to book my first long range trip...13 days! David (Wahoodad) made that possible back then not hesitating to loan me gear to take that trip and provide me with tips and tricks of the trade. I will be forever grateful to him for giving me that opportunity!
    After that trip i was hooked and continued my journey of LR fishing. I was a co-chartmaster of Larry brown for a few years and learned alot from him also. He is one of the nicest guys you can meet.
    Just a few days ago SteveK did just the same. I leave for a trip Sunday to Guadalupe and was short a rig. He didn't hesitate to offer to help.

The fisherman in the LR community have always been top notch with loads of great info. I have worked in the fishing industry for about 11 years now it doesn't pay much, but it does allow me to get out there on the boats and meet the best people in the world and I'm proud to call everyone in the fishing community my friends.

15. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    He ended up catching more later in the trip.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  16. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    Sorry about the double post.

17. TEAMFISH

TEAMFISH JUST ADD WATER

Name:
    DAVE
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Fisherman
    First eight day trip on the Polaris Supreme, best bunch of guys you could ask for. Crew was outstanding but "Gringo" would run out to the rail every few moments and make sure I had a cold one in my hand. Mike Hayes stood by also, making sure I was always squared away. Made a new guy (just new to long range) feel like family.

18. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Killer post, Dave. I have had a couple different guys give me a couple of their fish at the end of trips. This means a lot to me as my family actually thrives on the fish I bring home - they love it.

Longrangers, it seems, are a special breed. We tend to gladly share this passion.

mikelts and TEAMFISH like this.
  19. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    Just bumping this old thread because it was a pleasure to read. I'm 49 pages into the archives and read a lot of threads about THAT GUY and read a lot of peoples' crazy stories. This thread was very refreshing and as I read it I had a big smile on my face the whole time.

I've been fishing for 30 years and have been a long time member and contributor to Pierfishing.com and Norcalkayakanglers.com, but am brand new to the SD long range scene.

In my short time here I've received all kinds of great info and just want to thank you all for taking the time to welcome us new folks and share info so freely.

Hopefully after my first "long range" trip in October I will be able to add my own story to this thread of the generous individuals who helped make my first trip a success!

20. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    Dustin, I know of no other community of anglers that is as welcoming and with a willingness to share, both knowledge and equipment as that of the long range fishing community. All you need do is ask!

RichG and RockHopperNCKA like this.