Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Most all the Long Range boats need to update there tackle recommendations. For instance Newell reels back in the day were the go to reel. I still have a few but I really don't fish them with the reels they have on the market today. Tiagra 50 is another reel back in the day we use to use for the big tuna... If you have one they are great for maybe trolling or maybe fishing a skip jack.... but today's reels are much smaller and drags are way better. I am not trying to down grade any boats or tell you what to use... I am putting this out for the new Long Range fisherman that has never been on like a 8-10 or even a 14-18 day. Squid jigs for night time use in making bait for big tuna. Well I haven't seen squid in a number of years.... we use to get them all the time... today we use bait catcher rigs. Owner super mutu circle hooks 3/0,4/0,5/0,6/0,8/0 .... well the super mutu Owner hooks start at a size 4/0 .... the mutu they make but toss one of those 3/0 mutu and you will pay the price on a cow size tuna.... a super mutu by Ower is much stronger. A lot of the rod's are also outdated but work good in todays fishing... but the newer longer rods for rail fishing are what you really want. I use to use a 5'5 or 6FT rod when I started fishing long range for big tuna. Today all my rods are 7 and 7'7 Ft long. This is also old school ....
6455XH With Roller guides
Reel Size Accurate 50, Penn 50 International, or Shimano 50.... I don't have roller guides on any of my rods that I am fly lining a bait... Back in the day that's what we had and it worked... but in todays rods and reels you really don't need a 50 size reel unless maybe fishing a big skipjack... I have caught many tuna in the 180-280 size with a 20 or a 30 size reel... todays rods and reel have come along way from 20 or even 30 years ago. Most of these trips i am talking about our 10-18 day trips. Hope this helps the angler that's planning a first ever trip of a lifetime. Talk to tackle stores such as Trophy Tackle... Squdico... charkbait...
Angler's Choice and there are many more that are up to date and can get you what you need. More BD'ers will have more recommendations on tackle stores... I just listed a few... there are many more that can help you catch the fish of your dreams.

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
Excel
If only there was a guy on this board who spend 8 months out of the year on a variety of boats and who knows his $hit......hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe that fella could write up a recommended list for said boats.......hmmmmmmmmmmm. Know anyone Soda?

:gaygroup: :-) :gaygroup:

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
An even better list would be one that doesnt use model numbers but describes the reel/rod combo:

7ft medium action rod rated 20 to 50 lbs with a conventional single speed reel that can hold xyz yds of 65 lb spectra and abc yds of 40lb mono. Star or lever drag.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Most all the Long Range boats need to update there tackle recommendations. For instance Newell reels back in the day were the go to reel. I still have a few but I really don't fish them with the reels they have on the market today. Tiagra 50 is another reel back in the day we use to use for the big tuna... If you have one they are great for maybe trolling or maybe fishing a skip jack.... but today's reels are much smaller and drags are way better. I am not trying to down grade any boats or tell you what to use... I am putting this out for the new Long Range fisherman that has never been on like a 8-10 or even a 14-18 day. Squid jigs for night time use in making bait for big tuna. Well I haven't seen squid in a number of years.... we use to get them all the time... today we use bait catcher rigs. Owner super mutu circle hooks 3/0,4/0,5/0,6/0,8/0 .... well the super mutu Owner hooks start at a size 4/0 .... the mutu they make but toss one of those 3/0 mutu and you will pay the price on a cow size tuna.... a super mutu by Ower is much stronger. A lot of the rod's are also outdated but work good in todays fishing... but the newer longer rods for rail fishing are what you really want. I use to use a 5'5 or 6FT rod when I started fishing long range for big tuna. Today all my rods are 7 and 7'7 Ft long. This is also old school ....
    6455XH With Roller guides
Reel Size Accurate 50, Penn 50 International, or Shimano 50.... I don't have roller guides on any of my rods that I am fly lining a bait... Back in the day that's what we had and it worked... but in todays rods and reels you really don't need a 50 size reel unless maybe fishing a big skipjack... I have caught many tuna in the 180-280 size with a 20 or a 30 size reel... todays rods and reel have come along way from 20 or even 30 years ago. Most of these trips i am talking about our 10-18 day trips. Hope this helps the angler that's planning a first ever trip of a lifetime. Talk to tackle stores such as Trophy Tackle... Squdico... charkbait...
    Angler's Choice and there are many more that are up to date and can get you what you need. More BD'ers will have more recommendations on tackle stores... I just listed a few... there are many more that can help you catch the fish of your dreams.
    I Elect you to tell Judy in the Independence's office, That she needs to update the tackle list, :Beat_Them

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    That’s what they have Bloodydecks for. So guys can come and ask the same questions over and over again and ignore the search function

I don’t any of them have looked at those lists on their websites in years
    search function.. I am lucky just to get on one of these machines at my age. If I need to order stuff online my wife does that for me.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I think it would be great if the tackle reps would reach out to the boats and offer to “revise” the lists of recommendations for the various length trips. Steve Carson is an excellent source for the Penn lineup. He has already produced a list of five must have outfits, all Penn branded of course. If a couple of alternate choices were in there as well, it would make sense. Something like this:

POUND RIG

Reel- PENN Torque 2-speed TRQ15LD2, PENN Fathom 2-speed FTH15LD2 or FTH15XNLD2

Rod- Conventional 7 to 8-feet, rated for 15-40 pound lines. Ex: PENN Carnage III CARWCIII1540C80

Applications- All around live bait use for yellowtail, dorado, and finesse live bait tuna to 75 pounds

edited for additional options on reels. Same should be added for rods, Okuma PCH, UC??? etc

30-POUND RIG

Reel- PENN TRQ15LD2, or FTH15XNLD2; Okuma Cavalla ???, Avet SX Raptor

Rod- Conventional 7 to 8-feet, rated for 15-40 pound lines. Ex: PENN Carnage III CARWCIII1540C80

Applications- All around live bait use for yellowtail, dorado, and finesse live bait tuna to 75 pounds

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Its all the boats. Not naming any.... Old school tackle list... brings back memories when I was young
    I understand that it's all the boats. I thought you had an Upcoming trip on the Indy and thought that you would like to bring up your wonderful idea to Judy when you check in, ;)

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    search function.. I am lucky just to get on one of these machines at my age. If I need to order stuff online my wife does that for me.
    I spend all day looking at multiple monitors from 4am till I’m done.

Should have played the Lottery or found a blind rich heiress to marry.

Upvote 0