Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
I was in Idaho Falls the last week visiting my kids keeping an eye on NOAA and the weather. And the good Lord had it laid out right as Luck would have it Tuesday weather was gonna be BEAUTIFUL.

So Monday morning, I wake up. Make my kids breakfast, pack their lunches, kiss them goodbye tell them I love them infinity and send them off to school. I already had my stuff packed up so I loaded up the truck and took off at 7:30 AM from Idaho falls.

I had been on the fence about heading out tuesday for a number of reasons and @TooManyHobbies thread got me excited. So I decided to push for WP. I had to make a stop to get my boat and gear, first stretch of the drive was about 9 hours. I get my boat, fuel everything up and get a hold of @Nineball so I could meet him at his place in Port Orchard to pick up a kicker. I leave my folks place around 16:30 and head for PO. About an hour south of Olympia I get a call from Garrett and we start talking some details about the morning, he said he would talk to the boys when he got to WP and hook me up! So I get to PO just before 22:00 and I am back on the road in less than 5 minutes. I can't thank Chris enough for his generosity. Final leg of the Journey now and I am trucking hard. I was starting to get a little tired so I pull off and get some air for a couple minutes, then back on the road. I pull into WP around 1AM tuesday morning and I am dog tired.

Alarm goes off at 5:50AM and I just dont have it in me so I snooze it, I wake up around 6:30 to a text from Garrett with some numbers. I sleep for a few more, shake it off and get up. Boat in the water and cruising by 7:30. Later than I wanted but i figured the extra sleep was worth it.

I head out towards my "lucky" spot around 38/42 and I cant find warm water. Its around 60.5. So I push North west a little. I am trying to remember how the SST's were in my head and it seems that there was a finger of warm up that way. I get to around 44/00 and the water is still cold. 60-61. I fish for about 35 minutes trying to find a direction where the water is getting warmer and it all pretty much the same. I see no fish on the surface, no birds, no sharks. Literally nothing. So I make the call to head south.

I roll for about an hour south west and I end up somewhere around 32/20. The water is still only 61 degrees. I fish for about another 45 minutes. Nothing. The water is cold and I am starting to get a little discouraged. The problem now is that I have burned a lot of fuel. I dont want to keep heading west and south because I had burned just about half the fuel in my main tank which is a 25 gallon tank. I still need fuel to fish and fuel to get home. I carry 10 extra gallons in cans aboard so I am sure that I am still in the green but I dont want to cut it close, I want to stay very safe. Especially since I haven't seen another boat and my VHF only reaches out about 10 miles.

So I decide to start trolling east. After about 30 minutes I see some splashing ahead of me in the water about 100 yards off starboard bow. I can see a big log in the water and this gets me thinking that fish are taking bait thats been hiding. I get a swimbait ready. As I get closer I realize its a shark. A BIG one. He is swimming slowly around this log. It looked almost like he was rubbing against it or playing with it. He looked to be about 12 feet long and he was brownish colored. I'll have to look it up and see what species he was.

This was literally the first life I had seen all day and it breathed some new life into me. I adjusted my spread, checked everything and really started watching the water hard. Another 20 minutes or so goes by and I see some fish coming out of the water 200 yard ahead. I can see a little rip or something with a line of flotsam and kelp. I kill the motor and slide in. Swimbait flying. Nothing. I can see fish jumping and I am casting on top of them and behind them and not a single bite. I look down in the water and I can see a hundred tuna below the boat! all over the place! So I drop my swimbait down. Nothing. I can see them following it. Chasing it. But nothing commits. I switch to a flatfall. Nothing. Different Jig. Nothing. Different swimbait. Nothing. I jigged and casted on these fish for 30 minutes using everything I had. Nothing. They were still under the boat and all around me. I didnt know what to do. So I just started trolling again. And I was in the fish heavy then. Water was still only 60.5 but there were jumpers constantly.

These fish apparently werent hungry so I decided to cruise. So I cruise east for about 20 minutes and I am in 62 degree water. I decide to give it another shot. Start the troll and start making my way east and north. Still jumpers. Still no fish. At this point I am getting very discouraged. Its like 14:00 and I havent got a bite. I have changed clones, plugs, xrap, swimbaits. I have trolled faster, slower, zigzag, straight. Literally I am trying anything and everything I can think of to change my presentation. NO FISH.

Around 15:00 I come up on a hard Cloro and temp break. Green water east, good blue water west. 61 degrees west and 59 degrees east. it is actually very close to where I started the day at. I start fishing this. I see some birds diving in the distance so I decide to head that way. I get a rod ready with a butterfly to cast on these dudes. I kill the motors, slide in and cast out. Nothing. I cast around these guys at least 10 times.

It was at this moment I decided to pull out all the stops. I break out my favorite lure. My trusty dusty, Old faithful as it were. It is my all time favorite for everything. I catch salmon, steelhead, bass, trout and I have even caught halibut and a catfish on one. Its not always the top producer but it is a steady producer. I tie on a Kastmaster. Chrome 4Oz Bucktail single hook. First cast, BAM. I am bewildered at this point, but I am excited and I start fighting this guy to the boat. I get him in haul him in and get ready for round 2. It wasn't a long fight but the birds and fish are gone.

I fire up the motor and start heading out again. looking for that temp break. I start trolling the Kastmaster and it has some really good action at that speed. I find the break again inside and outside. I find more jumpers but I cant get anyone to bite. I am about 50 NM out by this time and 16:00 was my hard cutoff. So I fished right to the bitter end with not so much as a hit. I pull everything up, stow gear and start rippin for port. Cruising around 21 knots. I have to stop around 17:00 to add another 5 gallons to the tank because I was runnin on fumes. Bar was fine, couple small splashes but I rolled it at 18-20 knots.

I hit the dock, pull the boat out. Bump into some of the brotherhood. Hear everyone else's report and instantly feel like the loser of the day. Well thats just how fishing goes.Turns out I just went the wrong directions. Also Garrett informed me that temp isn't as important as I had previously thought. When I first got into this I had been told to look for 65 degrees but apparently not because the most fish I saw today were in 59 degrees and they were THICK, just not hungry for me.

So anyway head out. I rolled pretty hard but I made it back to Oregon at around 1:30 in the morning.

We breaded and fried that one fish tonight and it was Delicious!! No one ever talks about tuna fish and chips but I recommend it.

Trying to see if I can fit Friday and/or Saturday into the schedule. I can bring a bigger boat and take 2 or 3 guys if anyone is looking for a seat!! I wont guarantee fish but I can get you on the water :)

Andre

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Here is an approximate map of my travels
Trip.JPG

Reactions: NWGuy
Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Zuker clones, mexi clones, all cedars (well worn ones, purple,blue,mexi ) and sandeel swim baits where all productive for us .troll speed 7-8. ...5 rod spread....long plug out 120-150 got the most action. Clones run right next to each other at 30 in the wash got lots of love to. Just some ideas for next time..

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Cant get em everytime. But you gave her hell at least!!!!

1 question.

Are you at a titty bar taking a picture of that kast master?

Reactions: Hard Chargin'
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Zuker clones, mexi clones, all cedars (well worn ones, purple,blue,mexi ) and sandeel swim baits where all productive for us .troll speed 7-8. ...5 rod spread....long plug out 120-150 got the most action. Clones run right next to each other at 30 in the wash got lots of love to. Just some ideas for next time..

I tried literally all of those things. Except colored plugs. I only have bare ones. I didn't spend much time deep with the spread. Maybe I will try that next time.

The last few times I have been catching most of my fish right in the wake. 20 feet behind the boat. Yesterday I ran back 100' for a while to try and switch things up. I had my spread from 20 to 100 feet with 4 rigs.

I don't have any sandeel baits. I'll look that up. I trolled as slow as 4 knots for a while and up 8. It just wasn't in the stars for me.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Lmfao...i zoomed in and now see thats a keyboard. It looked like a stage with neon lights to me. And with your crazy stories i just figured you may be a kastermaster strip club kinda guy!!!!

HAHA. I will take that as a compliment!!!

Reactions: mrfish11
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I was in Idaho Falls the last week visiting my kids keeping an eye on NOAA and the weather. And the good Lord had it laid out right as Luck would have it Tuesday weather was gonna be BEAUTIFUL.

So Monday morning, I wake up. Make my kids breakfast, pack their lunches, kiss them goodbye tell them I love them infinity and send them off to school. I already had my stuff packed up so I loaded up the truck and took off at 7:30 AM from Idaho falls.

I had been on the fence about heading out tuesday for a number of reasons and @TooManyHobbies thread got me excited. So I decided to push for WP. I had to make a stop to get my boat and gear, first stretch of the drive was about 9 hours. I get my boat, fuel everything up and get a hold of @Nineball so I could meet him at his place in Port Orchard to pick up a kicker. I leave my folks place around 16:30 and head for PO. About an hour south of Olympia I get a call from Garrett and we start talking some details about the morning, he said he would talk to the boys when he got to WP and hook me up! So I get to PO just before 22:00 and I am back on the road in less than 5 minutes. I can't thank Chris enough for his generosity. Final leg of the Journey now and I am trucking hard. I was starting to get a little tired so I pull off and get some air for a couple minutes, then back on the road. I pull into WP around 1AM tuesday morning and I am dog tired.

Alarm goes off at 5:50AM and I just dont have it in me so I snooze it, I wake up around 6:30 to a text from Garrett with some numbers. I sleep for a few more, shake it off and get up. Boat in the water and cruising by 7:30. Later than I wanted but i figured the extra sleep was worth it.

I head out towards my "lucky" spot around 38/42 and I cant find warm water. Its around 60.5. So I push North west a little. I am trying to remember how the SST's were in my head and it seems that there was a finger of warm up that way. I get to around 44/00 and the water is still cold. 60-61. I fish for about 35 minutes trying to find a direction where the water is getting warmer and it all pretty much the same. I see no fish on the surface, no birds, no sharks. Literally nothing. So I make the call to head south.

I roll for about an hour south west and I end up somewhere around 32/20. The water is still only 61 degrees. I fish for about another 45 minutes. Nothing. The water is cold and I am starting to get a little discouraged. The problem now is that I have burned a lot of fuel. I dont want to keep heading west and south because I had burned just about half the fuel in my main tank which is a 25 gallon tank. I still need fuel to fish and fuel to get home. I carry 10 extra gallons in cans aboard so I am sure that I am still in the green but I dont want to cut it close, I want to stay very safe. Especially since I haven't seen another boat and my VHF only reaches out about 10 miles.

So I decide to start trolling east. After about 30 minutes I see some splashing ahead of me in the water about 100 yards off starboard bow. I can see a big log in the water and this gets me thinking that fish are taking bait thats been hiding. I get a swimbait ready. As I get closer I realize its a shark. A BIG one. He is swimming slowly around this log. It looked almost like he was rubbing against it or playing with it. He looked to be about 12 feet long and he was brownish colored. I'll have to look it up and see what species he was.

This was literally the first life I had seen all day and it breathed some new life into me. I adjusted my spread, checked everything and really started watching the water hard. Another 20 minutes or so goes by and I see some fish coming out of the water 200 yard ahead. I can see a little rip or something with a line of flotsam and kelp. I kill the motor and slide in. Swimbait flying. Nothing. I can see fish jumping and I am casting on top of them and behind them and not a single bite. I look down in the water and I can see a hundred tuna below the boat! all over the place! So I drop my swimbait down. Nothing. I can see them following it. Chasing it. But nothing commits. I switch to a flatfall. Nothing. Different Jig. Nothing. Different swimbait. Nothing. I jigged and casted on these fish for 30 minutes using everything I had. Nothing. They were still under the boat and all around me. I didnt know what to do. So I just started trolling again. And I was in the fish heavy then. Water was still only 60.5 but there were jumpers constantly.

These fish apparently werent hungry so I decided to cruise. So I cruise east for about 20 minutes and I am in 62 degree water. I decide to give it another shot. Start the troll and start making my way east and north. Still jumpers. Still no fish. At this point I am getting very discouraged. Its like 14:00 and I havent got a bite. I have changed clones, plugs, xrap, swimbaits. I have trolled faster, slower, zigzag, straight. Literally I am trying anything and everything I can think of to change my presentation. NO FISH.

Around 15:00 I come up on a hard Cloro and temp break. Green water east, good blue water west. 61 degrees west and 59 degrees east. it is actually very close to where I started the day at. I start fishing this. I see some birds diving in the distance so I decide to head that way. I get a rod ready with a butterfly to cast on these dudes. I kill the motors, slide in and cast out. Nothing. I cast around these guys at least 10 times.

It was at this moment I decided to pull out all the stops. I break out my favorite lure. My trusty dusty, Old faithful as it were. It is my all time favorite for everything. I catch salmon, steelhead, bass, trout and I have even caught halibut and a catfish on one. Its not always the top producer but it is a steady producer. I tie on a Kastmaster. Chrome 4Oz Bucktail single hook. First cast, BAM. I am bewildered at this point, but I am excited and I start fighting this guy to the boat. I get him in haul him in and get ready for round 2. It wasn't a long fight but the birds and fish are gone.

I fire up the motor and start heading out again. looking for that temp break. I start trolling the Kastmaster and it has some really good action at that speed. I find the break again inside and outside. I find more jumpers but I cant get anyone to bite. I am about 50 NM out by this time and 16:00 was my hard cutoff. So I fished right to the bitter end with not so much as a hit. I pull everything up, stow gear and start rippin for port. Cruising around 21 knots. I have to stop around 17:00 to add another 5 gallons to the tank because I was runnin on fumes. Bar was fine, couple small splashes but I rolled it at 18-20 knots.

I hit the dock, pull the boat out. Bump into some of the brotherhood. Hear everyone else's report and instantly feel like the loser of the day. Well thats just how fishing goes.Turns out I just went the wrong directions. Also Garrett informed me that temp isn't as important as I had previously thought. When I first got into this I had been told to look for 65 degrees but apparently not because the most fish I saw today were in 59 degrees and they were THICK, just not hungry for me.

So anyway head out. I rolled pretty hard but I made it back to Oregon at around 1:30 in the morning.

We breaded and fried that one fish tonight and it was Delicious!! No one ever talks about tuna fish and chips but I recommend it.

Trying to see if I can fit Friday and/or Saturday into the schedule. I can bring a bigger boat and take 2 or 3 guys if anyone is looking for a seat!! I wont guarantee fish but I can get you on the water :)

Andre
    At least you got the skunk off the boat and got one, You were determined and made it back safe. Their is always another day. I gotta try that breaded and fried Albacore. What did you bread it with and what size did you cut the pieces into?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    At least you got the skunk off the boat and got one, You were determined and made it back safe. Their is always another day. I gotta try that breaded and fried Albacore. What did you bread it with and what size did you cut the pieces into?

Yea, if I make it out Saturday at least I know the luck cant be any worse haha.

This is my favorite breading. I just roll my chunks in it. The red one is killer. I use it to make my Halibut Tacos. I make a sweet mango lime slaw to go with them and its out of this world. I can get the recipe up if anyone wants it.

LFF-WEB-BANNER-SEAS-LEMON-ALLNAT-FLAT.png

I cut the Loins into 1/2-3/4" medallions. rolled them in the breading and fried them in oil at like 325-350.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Yea, if I make it out Saturday at least I know the luck cant be any worse haha.

This is my favorite breading. I just roll my chunks in it. The red one is killer. I use it to make my Halibut Tacos. I make a sweet mango lime slaw to go with them and its out of this world. I can get the recipe up if anyone wants it.

View attachment 1074811

I cut the Loins into 1/2-3/4" medallions. rolled them in the breading and fried them in oil at like 325-350.
    If it's not a problem Shoot me over the slaw recipe, My son doesn't like the traditional cole slaw recipe.

Upvote 0

Bob5292

Almost A Member
    Nov 21, 2007
    Seattle
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    30' Aerohead Flybridge
    One word (well actually one acronym) IQF. A 10lb bag isn't going to kill you space or cost wise and will go a long way towards getting those fish into the mood.

I bet you'd benefit by pulling a couple of daisy chains behind dabos/rabbits/birds and running chuggers or jet heads on your outside rods. Since you're on a small platform, maybe you need to make yourself stand out a little more to get those fish up. If it gets real desperate maybe even run a pair of diving boards off of your corners. I'd be glad to lend all of that to you if you want to give it a try.

Upvote 0

Bob5292

Almost A Member
    Nov 21, 2007
    Seattle
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    30' Aerohead Flybridge
    For the radio issues, there are at least two radio nerds on the board that can point you in the right direction. The easiest/cheapest upgrade is to replace your radio's antenna with a correctly tuned Nagoya, Expert Power, etc, along with some type of wired antenna that you would attach to a mast (like one of your rods) in an emergency.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I think Bob's suggestion on carrying bait (frozen bait if you can not do live) could have turned things on for you. Late season tuna are known for being a bait show.

I have missed Mark from the Sea stories, seems like you are picking up where he left off.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    One word (well actually one acronym) IQF. A 10lb bag isn't going to kill you space or cost wise and will go a long way towards getting those fish into the mood.

I bet you'd benefit by pulling a couple of daisy chains behind dabos/rabbits/birds and running chuggers or jet heads on your outside rods. Since you're on a small platform, maybe you need to make yourself stand out a little more to get those fish up. If it gets real desperate maybe even run a pair of diving boards off of your corners. I'd be glad to lend all of that to you if you want to give it a try.

I would love to get any and all the help I can get. I don't know what dabos. rabbits or birds are but Im game for any of it. I have divers for fishing salmon but I am guessing these are different? I think I am going to head out again this afternoon and fish Friday and Saturday. Also what is IQF and where do I get it?

For the radio issues, there are at least two radio nerds on the board that can point you in the right direction. The easiest/cheapest upgrade is to replace your radio's antenna with a correctly tuned Nagoya, Expert Power, etc, along with some type of wired antenna that you would attach to a mast (like one of your rods) in an emergency.

I guess I didnt realize it was broken. I figured it was because I had a low power unit and a short antenna. A mast in an emergency isnt a bad idea though. I am sure I can figure something out.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    I think Bob's suggestion on carrying bait (frozen bait if you can not do live) could have turned things on for you. Late season tuna are known for being a bait show.

I have missed Mark from the Sea stories, seems like you are picking up where he left off.

He must be a pretty awesome guy. I have heard about him several times. I will have to go read some of his stories.

Andre

Reactions: blackelk
    Upvote 0