tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Is "Long Fall" really that much different than SPJ to deserve its own category?
The presentation of the jigs is much closer to what I have been doing over the years.
It is nice to have some "purpose built" tackle that is so much lighter than traditional gear.
Just got back from an 8-dayer aboard the Shogun; not as many opportunities for SPJ as on some previous expeditions, but had fun with the Long Fall gear and presentation.

RESIZED Long Fall fixed.JPG

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Thanks…tell us about your setup and jig.
Thanks in advance.

Reel: PENN Fathom FTH8XNSD
Line: 30 lb. Berkley X-9 solid braid
Leader: 20-foot wind-on of 40-pound Big Game mono, plus 4 feet of 50-pound Pro-Spec fluorocarbon
Jig: 200gr. Williamson Koika
Rod: Not until after ICAST!

Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
Nice to know that Penn is coming out with more rod variants for jigging. I've got 5 SPJ Battalions, looks like I'll have to get more after after iCast.

Upvote 0

Levelartist

Oct 6, 2017
Long Beach
Name
Alex
Boat
Susan
Reel: PENN Fathom FTH8XNSD
Line: 30 lb. Berkley X-9 solid braid
Leader: 20-foot wind-on of 40-pound Big Game mono, plus 4 feet of 50-pound Pro-Spec fluorocarbon
Jig: 200gr. Williamson Koika
Rod: Not until after ICAST!
How was the fight with the PENN Fathom FTH8XNSD Vs that yellow? Can’t wait to find out more about the rod. 😁

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
How was the fight with the PENN Fathom FTH8XNSD Vs that yellow? Can’t wait to find out more about the rod. 😁

Just in general, I would say that jigging for yellowtail at Alijos with 30-pound braid is a bit undergunned, but I was "all-in" for Long Fall.
I had the drag set at 12 pounds, a little higher than normal for 30-pound.
However, the fish only had to run about 100 feet to rock you at that location, and I had to crank it down a little more, just barely stopping the fish in time.
After taking this photo, I checked the drag scale, and it was 16 pounds; pretty high for "ultra-thin" 30-pound braid, but it held.
The line's label says 45 ABS, so that appears to be correct.

Upvote 0

Steve Dee

Oct 5, 2015
San Diego
Name
Steve D
Boat
Grady White 180 - "Running with Scissors"
Now that ICAST is over, may we hear about the rod or the rod family?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Now that ICAST is over, may we hear about the rod or the rod family?

Thanks in advance.

The new PENN "Carnage III" rod series debuted at ICAST.
Included in the 67 different model selection are two Long-Fall models, which are grouped with the Slow-Pitch series [eight new SPJ/LF models in all].
Both of the Long-Falls are 8 feet in length, and two piece design [takedown just above handle].
The one I used is the 250gr. model, there is also a 450gr. version, but I have not used it.
Retail price will range $199.99-$214.99; and are expected in stores around late October.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just got back from another trip [Vagabond] with somewhat limited SPJ opportunities, but did manage to get a few nice yellowtail using the same "Long Fall" setup as before.

RESIZED Fixed Steve long fall.jpg

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    OK, for those of us who don't know: What is the difference between slow pitch jigging (say with a flat fall), and long fall jigging?

Reactions: woodfish330
    W
    woodfish330
    laughing.... Brother...I'm with you. Some marketing executive came up with a new "catch phrase". Whole New series of rods.... new series of reels... 25 more "speciality" jigs to buy... just so you can "fit on" with the latest and greatest.

We've been "long fall" and " slow fall" jigging for years.... use to call it changing up your retrieve and presentation. NOW WE NEED NEW GEAR....lol. P.S. the fish don't care.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    OK, for those of us who don't know: What is the difference between slow pitch jigging (say with a flat fall), and long fall jigging?

Ha-Ha, that's the same question I posed up at the top of this thread.
    It is a somewhat different presentation using somewhat different gear, but the question is whether its just a "variant" [word of the year!], or deserves its own category.

Upvote 0

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
    sacramento, ca.
    Name
    randy welsh
    Boat
    16' mirrocraft
    Ha-Ha, that's the same question I posed up at the top of this thread.
    It is a somewhat different presentation using somewhat different gear, but the question is whether its just a "variant" [word of the year!], or deserves its own category.

It's a good question,

I don't run up to the Sierras to "streamer fish", Leisering lift or fish dry flies exclusively.....

I'm simply fly fishing and fly fishing has many aspects as a discipline.

I think it's going to be difficult to affix any of the variants without a program until the history going back to "darts" and including what other parts of the world are doing is illustrated.

Upvote 0