Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Decided to head North solo yesterday. 105+ Miles and 11-1/2 hours on the water. From Chula Vista to the middle of the 30 mile bank. I saw some temp breaks that looked promising but ended up only catching a small Bonito and a couple Sandbass. Bait from EBros has been great. Trolled, Surface Iron, dropped, flylined. Clean FLAT water, a whale, 63.7 degrees and lots of breaking fish at 182 and North. Many paddies loaded with bait but no takers. Fish were down deep 750-1000’ and I don’t have capacity to chum them up. Sunset was gorgeous to cap the day. The view of the Pilika coming in around Point Loma just after sunset was surreal. I wish I had had a real camera for that shot but this will have to do. The water was purple and gold! Incredible. I did manage to get (15) Balloons yesterday so I’m winning at my own competition and will have no shame in taking the swag bag from Bloodydecks. Don’t forget to get those Ballons guys! If someone does manage to outshine my count (20 so far) before the end of November there is a swag bag from BD and a WetWillyBiz knifeholder waiting for you. We will be running this Balloon Round Up again in December so at least start practicing!

74DFCD9D-E30B-4855-B891-1DD2807568A6.jpeg A9D14036-D1BD-40D8-8146-6C80BE3BCB81.jpeg DC0569E1-404B-48CE-BF85-94BC4856FEA5.jpeg F28F943D-2829-4B81-9334-4A7E56D82250.jpeg B3218350-0B23-4DDF-B72C-2A417EBB0ED6.jpeg 05A883BA-FAA2-4FF0-B331-C928B85EA97D.jpeg 8C216052-05F5-49E1-AC27-F236C94F2226.jpeg ABF7643A-F290-4D1E-8D9B-9914BB857696.jpeg 8EC6ACCA-35CB-4BDB-A46A-BF4F72839341.jpeg D2F7E570-B0AB-4D42-9E8C-74274A6EACD0.jpeg 8A8FBC8B-0776-49D6-B103-A4F28C2D07A5.jpeg

Last edited:

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
Decided to head North solo yesterday. 105+ Miles and 11-1/2 hours on the water. From Chula Vista to the middle of the 30 mile bank. I saw some temp breaks that looked promising but ended up only catching a small Bonito and a couple Sandbass. Bait from EBros has been great. Trolled, Surface Iron, dropped, flylined. Clean FLAT water, a whale, 63.7 degrees and lots of breaking fish at 182 and North. Many paddies loaded with bait but no takers. Fish were down deep 750-1000’ and I don’t have capacity to chum them up. Sunset was gorgeous to cap the day. The view of the Pilika coming in around Point Loma just after sunset was surreal I wish I had had a real camera for that shot but this will have to do. The water was purple and gold! Incredible. I did manage to get (15) Balloons yesterday so I’m winning at my own competition and will have no shame in taking the swag bag from Bloodydecks. Don’t forget to get those Ballons guys! If someone does manage to outshine my count (20 so far) before the end of November there is a swag bag from BD and a WetWillyBiz knifeholder waiting for you. We will be running this Balloon Round Up again in December so at least start practicing!

View attachment 884335 View attachment 884336 View attachment 884337 View attachment 884338 View attachment 884339 View attachment 884340 View attachment 884341 View attachment 884342 View attachment 884343 View attachment 884344 View attachment 884345
Thank you for the report Will, nice day out on the water. I've never picked up 15 balloons in one day before. That's not good. Thanks for cleaning up after the ignorant. I still think you have a shot at getting into them if this low does not come down to far.
Corey

noslow64

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 1, 2015
La Mesa
Name
Derek
Boat
sold it
do you have a balloon finder on board ? I think you do :-), cause I never see any when I'm out there.

then again, I don't go 105 miles. how much gas you burn ? 20 gals !!!!!

Reactions: Willdoggy

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
do you have a balloon finder on board ? I think you do :-), cause I never see any when I'm out there.

then again, I don't go 105 miles. how much gas you burn ? 20 gals !!!!!
I’m really good at finding Ballons and gaffing them! Everyone has their talents D! :-) That one cluster that had the big number 5 shaped balloon had (8) balloons alone. I had to work for the rest of them. When I won the SoCal Mylar Round Up...David and I caught 65 Balloons in one day! None were more than a cluster of 4-5. Sickening to say the least. Yeah about 21 gallons burned yesterday. Hardcore Ballooning! Haha

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
pic#4 looks like an empty saline implant.did you gaff that close to the beach?
They are all over SoCal!
But seriously, this is what a Mylar Balloon looks like after many weeks or even months in the water and Sun. They look like plastic bags (which count towards our tally). The coloring comes off and will get all over your hands and boat. The raw water wash works great afterwards!

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Usually have my best balloon days on Mondays and Tuesday. I think from the weekends.

But mothers day? Fuck that's in may

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Usually have my best balloon days on Mondays and Tuesday. I think from the weekends.

But mothers day? Fuck that's in may
It was a bittersweet one as I was thinking about my Mum that morning. She was my first passenger on my boat. She passed away a year and a half ago. It gave me chills to find that balloon and it was not deteriorated so it had floated down recently. Just saying my Mum’s always been good to me. I love that lady.

Reactions: esgeo and Hardcor

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
It’s those fucking cruise ships letting loose the balloons. Fuckers!
I’ll blame the cruise ships for the tons of garbage they push off the back plank in the middle of the night. The balloons look too similar to all the same ones being sold at our local supermarkets. It’s a cheap suitable gift for any occasion that says I thought to bring something. I just really can’t think much though. Happy (insert celebration here)!

Reactions: Hardcor

esgeo

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
I’ll blame the cruise ships for the tons of garbage they push off the back plank in the middle of the night.
I was appalled to see this same behavior on a boat in the SoCal fleet I rode this year. Granted it wasn’t “tons” but I saw a deckhand purposefully throwing water bottles, plastic bag material, and other miscellaneous trash off the stern several times while underway at night. I understand tossing biodegradable stuff (which is legal if you are far enough offshore), but this dumping of plastic in the ocean was sickening to see.

I am grateful for your efforts to try and make a dent in this problem.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Easily seen and picked up 10 balloons on an offshore outing. You can see balloons for a mile unlike paddies. A pleasant surprise is when someone has taken the time to reset and mark a good size paddy with a balloon.

Thanks to whoever does this, like me.

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Easily seen and picked up 10 balloons on an offshore outing. You can see balloons for a mile unlike paddies. A pleasant surprise is when someone has taken the time to reset and mark a good size paddy with a balloon.

Thanks to whoever does this, like me.
It might be easier to see the paddy with a balloon but sea life is damaged when your fun is over. Coordinates work just as well with a way point marking the paddy. When I roll up on a paddy marked with a balloon it is usually not attached to the paddy but just got stuck on it in the current. It looks like trash to me (not a pristine paddy). Either way and to be sure when I leave the balloon will be riding with me.

Fins in the Bin

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
Except the prevailing wind blows onshore.
Not at night it doesn't....
I have had a 16 balloon day myself so I may be up for the challenge, however as a fisherman and surfer, I would guess I have seen 5 or fewer plastic bags in the ocean and surfline in my lifetime

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Not at night it doesn't....
I have had a 16 balloon day myself so I may be up for the challenge, however as a fisherman and surfer, I would guess I have seen 5 or fewer plastic bags in the ocean and surfline in my lifetime
Please join our challenge! The more people the merrier. Let’s get this December 2017 month going! We have 31 days to do some good and since no one won the balloon challenge for the month of November we are going to upgrade the prize for December to a WetWillyBiz Bucket Holder or Jig Holder (Winner’s Choice). Make sure to tag me in your post here or direct message me or @wetwillybiz on Instagram and we will keep a tally for December and have a proper winner for end of year. Please make sure to vote for this post on the BD Best Post of November too please.
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/vote-on-the-best-fishing-report-of-november.672472/
Thanks very much. Will

splashy77

Apr 3, 2007
Lane Vicky
Name
Daniel
Boat
Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
Fucking Balloons!!!!! They're everywhere and in every direction! Sucked one into my motor once and over heated! Happy Birthday, Congrats Grad, It's a girl!, Happy Valentines Day, Get well soon, Happy Birthday from Timon and Pumba, Go F**k yourselves to all who release ballons into the air! Think of them as six pack plastic rings, cut em up and throw them away!

ja73

Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
I was out a couple weekends ago and pulled 6 out. It's ridiculous how many are out there.
I've also pulled a few of these 10 cent bags people now have to buy at stores and they don't break down as much as the older bags do.

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
I was out a couple weekends ago and pulled 6 out. It's ridiculous how many are out there.
I've also pulled a few of these 10 cent bags people now have to buy at stores and they don't break down as much as the older bags do.
Thanks for your effort! Please join in on the fun in December. You might win a Bucket or Jig Holder.......

Funny how that new fangled T-Shirt Bag system just does not work for the thing it was supposed to solve......Government doing good again.
Bringing your own grocery bags and eliminating the "heavy duty / reusable" ones would have been my vote. I doubt the plastic and plastic fabricator's lobbies would have agreed to that though. Keep up the good work....every balloon collected matters.