Long Day 6-22-19

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Postal719, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Postal719

Postal719 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    23' Polar Walkaround
    As the title says, it was a long day yesterday. This is also a long post, sorry.

I fished with my boat partner and very good friend Rob. The boat was in the water by 5am courtesy of the, now, very nice Shelter Island ramp. The bait line wasn't too bad. After a scoop of hot dines, we were treated to calm seas all the way to the 371. We stopped at a few dry kelps along the way.

Upon arriving at the 371, we put out some trollers.... feathers and cedars. We trolled due south investigating about a billion paddies along the way. Dry. All dry. Lame.

About 9 miles south of the 371, we found every other boat in SD. As we entered the zone, the Excalibur trolled right across our spread and snagged a plug. What a dick! We chased him down, and once the deck hand figured out we were snagged, he reeled in one of the trollers and broke us off. We lost the plug but gained a Halco! He can have the plug, it wasn't working anyway!

After the debacle, we saw some marks on the meter, and decided to drop our sinker rings and make a drift. While drifting, I saw a 150ish pound BFT launch clear out of the water! Hell ya, we are in the zone.

About 30 minutes into the drift, Rob yells.... Boil! We saw a solid boil off our port side! Before I could even get a cast, my sinker rig went off! Fish on! But.......it wasn't a BFT, nice YT though. Skunk off!

A few minutes later, Rob sees a shark! And a few minutes after that, we release a baby thresher. Cool! Sorry no photos of the shark.

After a few more baits, we journeyed southwest trolling and checking kelps. We saw birdnados, boils and great signs on the meter. Rob got short bit on a drift after seeing solid tuna on the screen and a boil in the area.

The rest of the day was spend running down YFT schools and throwing the kitchen sink at them. We tried everything. Screw these stupid fish! There was a zone about 5 miles south of the 371 that was jugged full of boiling YFT. I think I saw one run into the side of our boat, but we could not get them to go. Damn.

After admitting YFT defeat, we hauled ass north checking one more paddy on the way up. One lonely YT swam out to say hello and went back under the kelp to chill out. He looked sleepy; I hear you little buddy, us too.

We got the boat cleaned and parked around 830pm. Long day.

The good:

There are tons of fish around. They just sucked yesterday.......or we sucked. I blame the fish. This is going to be a fun season!

All of our boat maintenance paid off. The boat ran bitchin.

Our new transducer (175HW) is the bomb!

We will get them next time.

20190622_101801.jpg 20190622_132822.jpg 20190622_152739.jpg 20190622_153544.jpg

KCiuchta, Surge4130, Zika and 11 others like this.
  2. Ctony.clark

Ctony.clark Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tony Clark
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    Paying your dues and, you caught fish. Tight lines

3. Rich Fagner

Rich Fagner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    Patron
    Dues paid. Next time

4. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    HEY at least no skunk by God! LOL

5. TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger gary

Name:
    Gary Nordyke
    Boat:
    48 Pacemaker Gunslinger
    Thanks for the post.

6. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    One is wayyy better than none.

Cbaldwin likes this.
  7. Postal719

Postal719 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    23' Polar Walkaround
    Heck ya! I agree 100%. I love catching yellowtail! However, I probably wouldn't have gone so far south with the goal of snagging one yellowtail! Also, catching a 12# yellowtail on a 40n with 60# test isn't much of a challenge! I am not complaining.....just sayin. The baby thresher was also cool but pulled like a trout.

It was a really fun day though. Seeing the quantity of tuna in the area is absolutely crazy!

Zika likes this.