m_mcgourty

Handsome Devil
Oct 4, 2010
Pahrump/NV/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
14'Gregor and XFactor
Jumped at the chance to get on one of those rare open party trips on the Mar Diosa. The captain and crew were great, but the fish seemed to have lock jaw.

We left a little after 4am, got cured dines from the San Pedro receiver the headed out paddy hopping. 1st couple of paddies had no one home, found one (just south of the twin rigs) with bitters, the boat scored three for four hook ups. Two huge yellow tails and one big bull dorado. We found a couple more paddies with no one home then trolled for what seemed like for ever with out seeing anything out there (almost clear out to Avalon). On the way back to the barn we found two more paddies with dorado jumping all over the place, but we couldn't make them bite. It was like the were saying :finger: you Mike!

Long story short, good crew, nice boat, long boat ride, I got skunked... again.

Maybe I should take up quantum psychics or some other hobby, because it seems that I suck at fishing.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
did you guys try tossing anything besides live bait at them?

Upvote 0

eddiefishtaco

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
That's kelp paddy fishing, sometimes you find the one, and.have a blast
And sometimes you just wish you would have bought a new reel instead.

School dorado seems to like smaller jigs for trolling
And smaller iron, like 4 to 5 inch, away from the boat
But some captains troll close to the boat wishing to engage the school
and wonder why they get almost no strikes on the troll.

They also are line shy for live bait 15# works fine,
And would take a sinking dead sardine.

Just dust it off try again..

Upvote 0

m_mcgourty

Handsome Devil
Oct 4, 2010
Pahrump/NV/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
14'Gregor and XFactor
*The bull was about 3' long.

*We started out trolling with a x-rap and pink feather, after the second stop we put out my mexican flag cedar plug in place of the x-rap for some reason it didn't want to sink, tangling on the surface.

*Captain said the iron was a waste of time. And to be honest, it was just a little choppy, and with the guys I was with and the way that boat rides in the chop, it probably wouldn't have been a good seen.

The bait we had was very nice cured sardines. With a couple of macks mixed in that never made it in the hand wells. The only thing I wish we had done, that IN MY UNEXPEIRIENCED OPINION is we didn't chum. And I think the reason we didn't, is because the boat has a fairly small bait well.

Then again, maybe it was something I was or wasn't doing right...

Upvote 0

tsurikichi

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Name
Ron
Boat
10' 2 1/64"
Hi m mcgourty,

Why didn't you come over and say hi !? Didn't you see me with my buddies in front of the office !? ha ha ha

Skipper gave a good pre-trip speech ..... too.

tsurikichi

Upvote 0

captjeffjones

Embellishment detector.
Jun 6, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Captain Jeff Jones
Boat
Depends on which client....
If you chum too much and the fish are barely biting anyways, they just eat the chum and not the hooked baits. That's the way it has been. Chum=watch. Don't chum=catch. Just sayin'. Sounds like that above average trip to me. A lot of guys are never hooking a single fish (per boat).

Upvote 0

m_mcgourty

Handsome Devil
Oct 4, 2010
Pahrump/NV/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
14'Gregor and XFactor
I hope I don't sound too sour grapes, I'm just a little disappointed. In the last couple of years, I just started taking the "Big Trips". And so far I've blanked on the target fish.

For the record I believe the captain and crew did everything they could to get us on the fish.

Upvote 0