Hungone

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Hung One
Boat
Hung One
Don’t get many chances to get out these days because my son (4 months) keeps the wife and I busy.

Today I did a half day in my 87 montauk and I was able to put the first bluefin on my little skiff. Not big, but still counts :)

I launched out of Davies at 7 and made it to Newport around 8. I didn’t see any fish, so I worked out to the 14 mile bank. Same story, didn’t see much, a parking lot, so I kept moving. As soon as I got to the 277 I saw some singles and some bird action. I ended up fishing 2.5 hours in that area, chasing foamers of 20-60lb bluefin. They did not want to eat anything I threw at them, but fortunately for me, I snagged 2. Lost one at color and got one onboard.

I fished 20-60lb fluoro, getting my hits on 40 and 60.

water temps ranged from 68-72 degrees

saw a couple of makos cruising around as well

Glad to get one for dinner

side note: it’s kind of funny how boats just accumulate in one spot and there’s not even any action around. The key for me was moving away from the crowds and looking for single boils or birds working. I’d work those areas and the fish would eventually pop up. Get in front of them and let them come to you.

put that belt on just in case I hooked a big boy lol

88B38C68-277F-4186-BBE9-59A076AFD2CA.png

EAB51102-96CB-4CD1-B2D5-A1D6B6247CCD.png

2CC091BC-F506-4BF4-B54D-BDDEDA12B237.jpeg

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
Good thing you snagged it while it was voluntarily going for the bait. Right?
Pretty funny how a small one is 20-30lb these days. Still a great catch. Congrats.

Reactions: Hungone
Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
Nice job getting out! Decided not to sell the boat? Congrats on your kid, too. Our boat has basically sat in the garage most of those first few years, but kids now amped up to go fishing.

Reactions: Hungone
Upvote 0

Hungone

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Hung One
Boat
Hung One
Yup, I still debate on whether or not to sell it, but I'm still enjoying it for the time being. I just know it will be very hard to find one in this condition again. Great little skiff
Nice job getting out! Decided not to sell the boat? Congrats on your kid, too. Our boat has basically sat in the garage most of those first few years, but kids now amped up to go fishin

Reactions: Unassailable
Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Way to go capt.