Long Beach Middle Harbor Hooping 10/20

Brian310

Jun 3, 2015
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo206
Took the 7 Y/O twins out hooping last night. Made three sets starting in the Port of LA and then working our way around into the old Sea Launch zone (LB Middle Harbor). First set at dusk, last set at 9 PM or so. Bait was salmon spines and mackerel, tried both mixed and separately. Bait was not even licked from what I could tell. Total result a helmet, other than a small crab. There were at least 10 other boats hooping throughout the areas we hit. Lots of pressure. Anyone else hoop this zone last night during the same time frame with a different experience?

Reefmo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
My sister in law and I went out Tuesday night (10/20). Launched Cabrillo at about 5pm. Plan was to hit our 'normal' spot around the lighthouse at angles gate. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised that there were already two boats with 10 pots each all around the point. We decided to drop 5 on the outside edge (sea side) just north of the last guys set. Prospected a spot over by the mole with the other 5. The 5 by the point pulled a few shorts after an hour, then nothing but Kellet's Whelks and one really nice sculpin that was totally jammed in one of the holes in the net. The 5 by the mole were much more of a mixed bag - 2 rays, handful of whelks, 4 keeper rock crab, and 1 and only 1 lobster (keeper). Did 3 sets in each place.
Bait - total mixed bag- leftover sardines (fresh frozen), frozen macs, bonito.

New lesson learned... turns out (y'all probably knew this) that they close the Cabrillo gates at 10:30pm. If you are locked in, you are at the mercy of the police/security company to come and let you out. AND -- they only will come by the main gate by the aquarium. Found out the hard way... tried to leave at 10:45, locked in. Called and they said it would be an hour... went and waited by the launch ramp side for an hour -- no show. Called again -- they said they swung by 20 minutes ago and didn't see anyone -- I was at the wrong gate - they didn't tell me, and bad on me, I didn't ask. It was shaping up to be a LOOONG night waiting there... but a good Samaritan beachcomber showed me a bypass route -- luckily my skiff is super light and I have 4WD.

Good luck out there.

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
My sister in law and I went out Tuesday night (10/20). Launched Cabrillo at about 5pm. Plan was to hit our 'normal' spot around the lighthouse at angles gate. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised that there were already two boats with 10 pots each all around the point. We decided to drop 5 on the outside edge (sea side) just north of the last guys set. Prospected a spot over by the mole with the other 5. The 5 by the point pulled a few shorts after an hour, then nothing but Kellet's Whelks and one really nice sculpin that was totally jammed in one of the holes in the net. The 5 by the mole were much more of a mixed bag - 2 rays, handful of whelks, 4 keeper rock crab, and 1 and only 1 lobster (keeper). Did 3 sets in each place.
Bait - total mixed bag- leftover sardines (fresh frozen), frozen macs, bonito.

New lesson learned... turns out (y'all probably knew this) that they close the Cabrillo gates at 10:30pm. If you are locked in, you are at the mercy of the police/security company to come and let you out. AND -- they only will come by the main gate by the aquarium. Found out the hard way... tried to leave at 10:45, locked in. Called and they said it would be an hour... went and waited by the launch ramp side for an hour -- no show. Called again -- they said they swung by 20 minutes ago and didn't see anyone -- I was at the wrong gate - they didn't tell me, and bad on me, I didn't ask. It was shaping up to be a LOOONG night waiting there... but a good Samaritan beachcomber showed me a bypass route -- luckily my skiff is super light and I have 4WD.

Good luck out there.
I thought I was the only one...

Almost locked in last season...

and a bunch of Kellet's Whelks in my nets this season. lol

lucky catch

Jun 3, 2006
Woodland Hills
Name
Rick
Boat
Trophy 2052
Took the 7 Y/O twins out hooping last night. Made three sets starting in the Port of LA and then working our way around into the old Sea Launch zone (LB Middle Harbor). First set at dusk, last set at 9 PM or so. Bait was salmon spines and mackerel, tried both mixed and separately. Bait was not even licked from what I could tell. Total result a helmet, other than a small crab. There were at least 10 other boats hooping throughout the areas we hit. Lots of pressure. Anyone else hoop this zone last night during the same time frame with a different experience?
I worked the same area on Sunday and had the same result. Three sets and it didn't look like the bait was ever touched

Hey-19

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
We hooped similar area on 10/23 with similar results, 3 sets of 10 for one legal.

This is our first year of hooping, and have only hooped inside the harbor. Is It a good night if you catch a legal or two? Has it been slow this year, or is that how it is inside the harbor?

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
I was inside Sea Launch with a couple noobs tonight, outgoing tide and great surge for three shorts n one legal, Sloooow start this season!

2DE3B3C5-CB64-4394-A48F-EA521AE52821.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SemperFi75