Long Beach lobsters

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
OC, CA
Name
jonas domkus
Boat
Catalina 30
I’ve lobstered in Catalina, (I’m a newbie) with a friend and his traps.

My question is about local guidelines.My boat is Alamitos Bay. Where am I not allowed to drop traps? I’ve seen and read plenty of people talking about lobstering in “LB Harbor”. Is that INSIDE the break??
I didn’t think it was okay to drop traps inside the break. Are there rules or a map posted somewhere?

Second, I don’t usually fish for much of anything edible in that area anyway,and I don’t see anything online about ddt contamination in lobsters. Looks like plenty of folks fish for them. Are they part of any “do not eat more than...” lists inside the red zone? And no, I won’t call you to help dispose of them.

Upvote 0

SergeyS

Oct 8, 2020
Huntington Beach
charkbait.com
Name
Sergey Smith
Boat
Imaginary
Don't think there are too many specific regulations, most of the harbor is accessible to fishing which will also let you drop nets in those areas. You might get some grief hooping around the prison, but that's about it.

Lobsters don't filter feed so there should be no issue as far as chemical contamination. Eating too much of anything probably isn't good.

Upvote 0

DonnieD

Shit...where's the beer
  • May 27, 2015
    SD
    Name
    Donnie D
    Boat
    FINBOMB
    You'll be just fine inside as long as you're not in the shipping lanes...and I've eaten plenty out of there...the only seizures I get are Tuesdays and Fridays

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
    OC, CA
    Name
    jonas domkus
    Boat
    Catalina 30
    I don’t go out at night too often. I always see trap floats just outside the wall there. Assuming those are commercial guys?

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
    Sep 26, 2008
    Long Beach
    www.skipjackmafia.com
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    NO BOATS
    You can hoop inside the harbor, ive only been told to leave by the police boat on the inside of the middle breakwall before.

And yea....the bugs from inside the harbor taste like shit, im sure it has something to do with the nasty water

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
    OC, CA
    Name
    jonas domkus
    Boat
    Catalina 30
    You can hoop inside the harbor, ive only been told to leave by the police boat on the inside of the middle breakwall before.

And yea....the bugs from inside the harbor taste like shit, im sure it has something to do with the nasty water

Wait, so why did they tell you to leave in the middle of the breakwall? Where exactly were you?
    This is the area I'm interested in dropping traps. I know for a fact that inside the breakwall you are technically not allowed to anchor. It is considered commercial/military anchorage pretty much everywhere but the inside of White and near shore. But, I've anchored by the bait barge plenty of times and others do as well and nobody bothers. I think it's far enough away from shipping traffic they don't care, but I've been told to pick up anchor near long beach light before.

lobstermap.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
    Sep 26, 2008
    Long Beach
    www.skipjackmafia.com
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    NO BOATS
    Down near where the port of LA closure starts.I dont know if its closed or not but they told me to move along so I did. I hooped there again a couple weeks ago and nothing happened. there hasnt been a huge police presence in the harbor recently.

Also, that spot you have circled is a wash....too many commercial traps in there on end of the breakwall and the inner part gets hammered by any boat that floats 7 days a week.

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
    OC, CA
    Name
    jonas domkus
    Boat
    Catalina 30
    Also, that spot you have circled is a wash....too many commercial traps in there on end of the breakwall and the inner part gets hammered by any boat that floats 7 days a week.
    Yah, but that's the closest straight out spot for me. And I'm in a sailboat (see avatar), so I'm not very fast and a pain to move around for this sort of fishing. I think I'm going to try that area I circled, drop my hook for a few hours, row around in the dinghy to drop and pull up hoops, drink some beer and see if I catch more than a buzz.

Upvote 0

SLAYDAYSoCal

Catalina-worthy Center Console Rentals
    Advertiser
    Sep 19, 2016
    Riverside, CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Alum. Center Console Bajas
    I’ve lobstered in Catalina, (I’m a newbie) with a friend and his traps.

My question is about local guidelines.My boat is Alamitos Bay. Where am I not allowed to drop traps? I’ve seen and read plenty of people talking about lobstering in “LB Harbor”. Is that INSIDE the break??
    I didn’t think it was okay to drop traps inside the break. Are there rules or a map posted somewhere?

Second, I don’t usually fish for much of anything edible in that area anyway,and I don’t see anything online about ddt contamination in lobsters. Looks like plenty of folks fish for them. Are they part of any “do not eat more than...” lists inside the red zone? And no, I won’t call you to help dispose of them.

My man - eat away! Been harvesting inner harbor bugs for 20 years. Just cook em to 165-degrees. Here's a video that details WHERE in LB/LA Harbor to drop:

Lobster Video

Reactions: Jonelli
    Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
    OC, CA
    Name
    jonas domkus
    Boat
    Catalina 30
    My man - eat away! Been harvesting inner harbor bugs for 20 years. Just cook em to 165-degrees. Here's a video that details WHERE in LB/LA Harbor to drop:

Lobster Video
    Thanks for that video link!
    Also, may I ask since you seem to have experience inside the harbor, If I were to fish in that marked green area and dropped my anchor for a few hours, would I get asked to leave? or is that ok to do there for non-emergencies? Or would I likely get left alone?

Upvote 0

SLAYDAYSoCal

Catalina-worthy Center Console Rentals
    Advertiser
    Sep 19, 2016
    Riverside, CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Alum. Center Console Bajas
    Thanks for that video link!
    Also, may I ask since you seem to have experience inside the harbor, If I were to fish in that marked green area and dropped my anchor for a few hours, would I get asked to leave? or is that ok to do there for non-emergencies? Or would I likely get left alone?

There is NO anchoring of leisure/private vessels (non-commercial) allowed within the federal breakwall and especially not in shipping lanes. There are moorings available near the oil island/s. Technically, you can be boarded/detained by USCG/Harbor PD, etc. but truth be told, the chances of this are slim.

Hoops are allowed there :) they just have to be checked every 2 hours AND they cannot be in the shipping lanes or within the limits of federally-regulated inner harbor areas.

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
    OC, CA
    Name
    jonas domkus
    Boat
    Catalina 30
    I figured that. I know that it’s technically a commercial boat parking lot and anchoring is for emergencies only. Although I have many times and see people anchor way down my way near the bait barge and nobody has ever been bothered that I know of. I’ve anchored once inside near queensgate to fish and was asked not to. This was the other side of the entrance, not where the map was showing green.
    I was just curious if it was as laxed as the end by the bait barge.

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
    OC, CA
    Name
    jonas domkus
    Boat
    Catalina 30
    So, I was going to try near the elbow of the break wall but it was super windy so we went to anchor behind island white instead. We tried putting traps out on the Lee of the island but caught nothing but crabs. Not one lobster.

Upvote 0