Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Since the opener is Saturday, and the weather looks like absolute crap Saturday night at the island (18-20+, would make picking up the nets damn near impossible) I was thinking I'd hit LB. I've fished the island dozens of times for bugs, but I've never fished in LB so I'm not familiar with where it's 'legal' or not. Obviously the federal channel is a no go, what about in near the docks and along the breakwall, anywhere that's a no-go around there? Also, not looking for secrets here, but any general area that's more productive than others, or any areas to avoid? Thanks all!

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Bugs from Mexico to much much further north... Everywhere they find a home... that's the secret.
Maybe call the harbor police... Are bugs that important you'd put up with shit weather? Next to rocks?

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Bugs from Mexico to much much further north... Everywhere they find a home... that's the secret.
Maybe call the harbor police... Are bugs that important you'd put up with shit weather? Next to rocks?
Did you read what I wrote? Or just scan? 18-20 is at CATALINA, NOT Long Beach. Long Beach is 3-5kts at sundown, which is plenty doable in a 54’ boat. Actually that’d be doable in a skiff if I wasn’t worried about my creature comforts. The way the weather weenies epically fail 9 times out of 10 though it’ll probably be 5kts and I’ll kick myself for not going... oh well, c’est la vie.

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Did you read what I wrote? Or just scan? 18-20 is at CATALINA, NOT Long Beach. Long Beach is 3-5kts at sundown, which is plenty doable in a 54’ boat. Actually that’d be doable in a skiff if I wasn’t worried about my creature comforts. The way the weather weenies epically fail 9 times out of 10 though it’ll probably be 5kts and I’ll kick myself for not going... oh well, c’est la vie.
Good luck
I read quite well...
I am sure you are correct there will be a gigantic difference 20 miles away!

Reactions: Croaker.Stroker

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Theirs some Excellent lobster spots just south of Cabrillo boat ramp and west of Davies. Good luck!!

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
The weather is messed up for days.. So much for the opener...I don't like the powers at be changing the start time to 0600, I think that is really messed up...........Ap

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Good luck
I read quite well...
I am sure you are correct there will be a gigantic difference 20 miles away!
I’m quite sure there will be because
A. LBH is behind Pt Fermin
B. It’s in a wind shadow (except Hurricane Gulch)
C. It’s blocked by a breakwall and not exposed like most of Cat is.
So yeah, it’ll be fine.

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
I’m quite sure there will be because
A. LBH is behind Pt Fermin
B. It’s in a wind shadow (except Hurricane Gulch)
C. It’s blocked by a breakwall and not exposed like most of Cat is.
So yeah, it’ll be fine.
Rad! Thanks for the explanation

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Its a west wind, the entire lee side of the island should be in the lee? No?

there are lots of places in the harbor to fish, but there is a LOT more traffic. Unless your really into fishing with the crowd and having to stress over people dropping right on top of you and running over your gear id say fish Cat.

Reactions: Tail Chaser

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
The key is to find a sandy spot. You don't want it to be near any structures like rocks or kelp. The best parts are directly in middle of shipping lanes and definitely in the harbor entrances next to the lighthouse. Preferably, you don't use any lighted markers and make sure you have ample rope. Lobsters don't like to be near light sources. If the marker was lighted, they would not come to your trap. If the water depth is 60 feet you want to leave at least 500 ft of rope on the lobster net. The rule of thumb is approximately 8 to 1 scope for the rope length to the water depth. The key is to use a darker rope. Lobsters are sensitive to color of the rope and bright florescent colors will scare them away. The rope should be the floating type to minimize any exposed rope near the lobster trap. If they are less visible, that is better. If you can't afford floats, you can use milk jugs. Make sure to mark the jugs with your full name, phone number and facebook page.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I don't know but if you think fishing in the harbor on a 54' boat on opening weekend is going to be fun ,maybe you like slamming your head in a door jamb too .

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
54ft Hatteras - I think your way safer venturing over to the front side of Catalina - spending the night and coming home next morning.

If your set on local Long Beach lobsters - let's trade boats and you can use my whaler with a guaranteed limits spot and I'll take your boat to the island.

Reactions: Tail Chaser