mark johnsen

Ichthus
Aug 1, 2015
redlands
Name
Mark
Boat
Blue J
Been a while...Got to Davies around 5:30....In and out of fog on the 22...Met a couple of guys waiting it out at the ramp. Bill&Ray on the Hard 8 hope you Gottem! We had some electrical problems but still headed for the bait barge at 6:45... Fog left us with about 50 yard visibility so we putt-putted out to the barge following our gps track from the last time out. Paid $30 for 2 tiny little scoops of big ole sardines....Nacho was not there and the underling was super skimpy on the bait...:hali_parkutuli: Anyway, we couldn't see the breakwall from the bait barge with the fog so we motored over to where we could see the wall and decided to fish outside it until the fog broke!...It didn't break until around the time we decided to head in! ....about 3PM. In the mean time, we made our way around the end of the wall, avoided a couple of kayakers in the fog, got outside and headed west. Our plans for the 150 or Izor's were shattered. No visibility. Captain Don put us on the fish time and time again working up and down the wall. Seas were mellow and we were able to stick the pin good in a number of places. What a great day with a couple of great Brothers! God is good! -Mark

Final Count (ish)

12 blue perch (mostly Squid)
2 rockfish (shrimp/mackerel) 1 released
12 calico bass (sardine/shrimp/mackerel) 7released
1 sand bass (don't remember)
4 sheepshead (shrimp/squid) 2 released
50 Mackerel (20 chummed, 20 realesed. 10 filleted to feed to my chickens) mmm....Protein!

IMG_2008.JPG

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
Good report. It was very foggy out there today. Patchy. I am interested in your boat. What is the story of the bamboo steering wheel ?

GettinUglysSon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Also curious about how the blue perch taste. I've heard they are terrible eating. But never confirmed that personally. How big were the calicos you kept?

Thanks for the report.

Bubba

May 6, 2004
Pismo Beach
Name
Bubba
Boat
18' Trophy
Also curious about how the blue perch taste. I've heard they are terrible eating. But never confirmed that personally. How big were the calicos you kept?

Thanks for the report.
Tried them once, never again.

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Ill never forget working on a Sport boat that will remain nameless and we were at Catalina. We had this woman on board that looked like a version of Madea from those Tyler Perry movies. Fishing was slow but the blue perch were full speed. This woman had a blast pulling on those things on the light spinning rod she brought... She had to have been close to a bag limit and then she noticed the "jelly fish" and "Cigars" floating down from the bow and that the Blue Perch really seemed to like the "Cigars.." her reaction was absolutely priceless.. First she was trying to drop her strip of squid near the Cigar... then you could actually see everything start to click in her head as the Head door closed and here comes this 300 pound dude walking out a bit lighter with a big smile on his face... "oh, lordy have mercy! Get them shit eatin' fish out my bag..." it was classic.

Johnlgarrison

The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
Years ago I heard a story that blue perch are not native to California. Mr Wrigley needed something to clean poop out of the harbor at Avalon. He brought them from South America because they were known for their appetite for shit. Never tasted one myself.

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I have not had one myself, but I have experienced their aggressive eating behavior. They seem to hold in schools even as adults, which makes them very competitive. I can understand the shit eating in that respect, since they will hit almost anything that hits the water aggressively and which fits in their tiny mouth.

That said, this page: http://kenjonesfishing.com/2016/10/halfmoon/ says they're not bad eating. I guess it's just up to you whether you're willing to chance it.

Last edited:

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Tilapia are also shit eaters... funny considering how many people eat them. I remember Mike Rowe did an episode of Dirty Jobs and they were raising Tilapia to clean out canals.

mark johnsen

Ichthus
Aug 1, 2015
redlands
Name
Mark
Boat
Blue J
Good report. It was very foggy out there today. Patchy. I am interested in your boat. What is the story of the bamboo steering wheel ?
Not sure about the steering wheel. Captain Don, (the beard) refurbished this thing from an aluminum shell. He is pretty amazing ! Licensed contractor, electrician, plumber, HVAC...you name it! He's the guy you want on your boat if something goes sideways! I'll ask him about the wheel.

mark johnsen

Ichthus
Aug 1, 2015
redlands
Name
Mark
Boat
Blue J
You guys keep the blue? How do they taste?
OK! Here is the big question....Blue perch or Poo Perch?
Ate them tonight..... I consider myself a pretty good cook...My wife and kids will attest to that! My hunting buddies also, as I am the camp cook. I can actually make spoony edible...(jerky)...So, tonight, got out the heavy duty aluminum foil, twice as large as the area I need for my fish...sprayed the no-stick spray, patted the fish dry and laid the fillets out. Dropped in a couple pats of butter, squeezed half a lemon over the fillets (Blue perch, Calico, Sheephead, rockfish), sprinkled with garlic salt and pepper, and laid thin slices of Jalapeno and red onion over the meat. Folded the foil over to make an air-tight pouch. (fold each edge of the two sides of foil over 3 times) Put it on the grill...(Keep the fish stink out of the house...Happy Mama) When the foil puffs up like a balloon and you hear it sizzling, give it another 5-10 minutes, depending on how long it takes to finish your beer....Then, take it off the grill and puncture the foil. Let the essence recede into the atmosphere before you bring the fish into the house. I laid it out and was first to try...went straight to the blue! Clean palate........Not bad!!!! Nothing offensive about it whatsoever!!! Ask my wife to try it without any explanation...thought maybe it was a little fishy. As I was putting away the leftovers, I tried another bite... Delicious!!!

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Something to think about . . .
Save all your Mackerel.
When you get back to the ramp give them to someone hoop netting for their fresh bait.
Besides the good-karma you just might find someone whom you can give you something you need to start your day off with a BANG. Suggestion.

Nice report!

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Way to preserve (I hate fog) and still produce,glad you got home safe!

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer

Next time try soaking it in milk for a couple hours before cooking. The enzymes in the milk will remove that fishy taste. Doesn't matter if it is whole milk or fat free....works the same.

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Also curious about how the blue perch taste. I've heard they are terrible eating. But never confirmed that personally.
Thanks for the report.
I cooked up a couple of fatties I caught at San Clemente Island, they looked so good. Never, ever again. They were so terrible I could not even get my Filipino wife to eat them. Made me feel bad for the kill..........Ap