Local YFT 10/29/17

Ryan_J

Apr 5, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Jupiter 31 - twin Yamaha F300's
Don't post often enough but here it goes..... Kept reading reports that the local YFT below Catalina were showing more in the afternoon so my buddy Taylor and I decided to take a late start and not push off until 10:30 am on Sunday morning. It was nice to sleep in and the wifey was happy that I was around for breakfast and morning craziness with our 2 young boys. We left Huntington Harbor and got a great half scoop of sardines from Nacho on our way out. The bait was fantastic all day!

We got to the zone quickly as Taylor's WorldCat 266sc scooted nicely at 35mph with very little chop on the crossing. A couple other boats were working the area with the dolphin but never saw anyone hook up. We trolled, we jigged, we threw bait, we threw poppers, we threw more bait......lots of it but couldn't get the tuna up from below the dolphins. Taking a break from throwing jigs and soaking baits we decided to troll thru the dolphin pulling a cedar plug and a purple/black tuna feather. BINGO!!!! Double hook up on a matching set of 20ish pound YFT.

We were pumped and finally scratched an itch we've been after all summer. Cleaned up the mess and tried some more but couldn't get em to go again but was still marking them under the dolphin. We did have 1 more hookup on the purple/black tuna feather but it smoked half my spool and had a ragged cut above the leader and swivel. I don't think it was a tuna but a dolphin that landed on our line and got snagged on the jig? Not totally sure. Anyone have dolphin get snagged when trolling thru them?

It was getting dark so we pulled in and chased the remaining daylight home. It was flat and we pushed the Matahari doin almost 40mph in flat seas all the way back to HH. It blows my mind it's almost November!!! Now it's time to scratch the BFT itch......... :) -Ryan_J

Mine on the cedar plug.

Taylors on the black/purple feather.

Bookends on ice.

At our back on the ride home.

It's nice to do filleting in the cool of a Fall night instead of the heat of a late Summer afternoon.

Before the heat.

Quickly on each side. Let's EAT!!!!

20171029_172916.jpg 20171029_172805.jpg 20171029_173242.jpg IMG950103.jpg IMG950104.jpg 20171029_192445_resized.jpg 531101995.jpg 531103897.jpg

Last edited:

brilliantdodo

Sep 3, 2003
Orange County
Name
Dan
Boat
Pro-Line
Good job. This time of year has been the best to get tuna locally for boats out of North OC and LA for several years. Hopefully they stick around and eat bait. SD boats are spoiled

Reactions: NewportMatt

svue

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 7, 2004
Huntington Beach
Name
Vue
Boat
Everglade 290
Hooked a dolphin once, it didn’t even know it was hooked, spooled my talica in no time. Had to thumb it hard, luckily I got most of it back. It would sucked to have 300 yard if spectra floating
Somewhere out there.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Nice job! I hooked a dolphin once salmon fishing. Saw it jumping with the gear in it's face. Burned my thumb trying to break it off before jamming my dikes in the reel. Got everything back but the hoochie and leader.

Ryan_J

Apr 5, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Not sure why the pictures aren't showing now. They were up last night. Will try to fix. Any ideas?

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I have never hooked a dolphin. If it was my post I would have said I hooked a big marlin. LOL

:frehya2:

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I CAUGHT a porpoise once on a black/purple/lime green feather. Hooked right in the mouth. They fight well. An hour and a half later I removed the hook and it swam away seemingly no worse for the wear. One of the strangest things I have seen out on the water.

Reactions: onehottip and Haly0

Ryan_J

Apr 5, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Good job. This time of year has been the best to get tuna locally for boats out of North OC and LA for several years. Hopefully they stick around and eat bait. SD boats are spoiled
I hope the YFT stick around for a couple more weeks. This cool weather isn't helping the cause but I'm going to check that zone out again in the next couple of days.

Ryan_J

Apr 5, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
How do you like fishing on the Cat. Considering purchasing one.
It's a comfortable boat. Has room for 2-3 guys to sleep up front and decent room in the stern to fight fish. It handles small to medium chop REALLY well!!! Cuts right thru it without beating up your back. The only negative is that it seems to rock a little harder in a side swell than other boats I fish on.

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
It's a comfortable boat. Has room for 2-3 guys to sleep up front and decent room in the stern to fight fish. It handles small to medium chop REALLY well!!! Cuts right thru it without beating up your back. The only negative is that it seems to rock a little harder in a side swell than other boats I fish on.
I have a Worldcat 266sc. Favorite boat I have ever had or fished on. When underway it 'dances' on the water. Side swell sucks on all boats. I will never go back to monohull again. It really is that much better.
35MPH on OP's Worldcat is SMOKIN'. Must have twin 200's or run at high RPM. I have twin 150's and at 4200RPM cruise at 23MPH

Ryan_J

Apr 5, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
I have a Worldcat 266sc. Favorite boat I have ever had or fished on. When underway it 'dances' on the water. Side swell sucks on all boats. I will never go back to monohull again. It really is that much better.
35MPH on OP's Worldcat is SMOKIN'. Must have twin 200's or run at high RPM. I have twin 150's and at 4200RPM cruise at 23MPH
Yes. The owner re powered earlier this summer with new Mercury 200 2 strokes. On the way home we were tickling 40mph. It's a sweet ride!

the_looper

The Looper
Oct 20, 2005
valley
www.martinflores.com
Name
"M"
Boat
20 ft Larson Center Console "The Looper"
I've hooked a few tuna that almost smoked me and I was screaming that I accidentally hooked a Pony, all ended up being tuna. Most on cedars and one on a Iron man glow in the dark.

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Awesome. I will take them anyway I can get them this late in the year. Probably the only time of the year that I don't mind trolling.

Reactions: Ryan_J