Local yellows (sport king/pursuit)

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by alex morataya, Nov 12, 2016.

1. alex morataya

alex morataya Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    anyone know the size of the yellows being caught locally? I see the yellows came up but wondering if anyone knows or has a pic of the average size yellows comin over the rail.

Thanks

Tim1962 likes this.
  2. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Yesterday saw both boats, West end Catalina, 5lb slightly bigger than Rat. Bonita were bigger. Saw Cory's report of 16lber though.

alex morataya likes this.
  3. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Numbers like that with No mention of size or any pics means rat city...

4. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The vast majority are less than 24 inches. When the occasional larger one is hooked it seems to attract the attention of a sea lion a lot of the time.

I usually let the small ones go, but that is a matter of personal choice, and I know enough about their population to not worry about or hassle anyone who chooses to keep a five-fish limit of the small ones. Private individual fishermen have no impact whatsoever on the total yellowtail population of Southern California.

5. Airbike

Airbike Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    NA
    one angler took jackpot today (11/12) on the Pursuit with a 42+ lb yellowtail !
    weighed on a spring scale.
    But yeah, most were smaller. I think a couple in the 20's lb range

6. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    The majority of the fish, When Fileted would probably yield 6 fish tacos (per each yellow tail) on a regular size corn tortilla. Yes their are some standouts, but the vast majority is appx 3-4 lbs on a good day. When a sport boat can throw on 100 plus yellows in under an hour,, That should give you the appx size of the fish.

7. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    There is definitely spots of bigger fish around...been chasing small spots of breezing fish for about 6 weeks on both sides..you just gotta pay attention and look around til you find em...

8. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Anyone know what iron, if any, are working? I'm hearing small surface in shiny chrome colors or small yoyo in scrambled or mint. sounds pretty standard, just wanna make sure I have the right size and any particular color schedules that are really working well.

9. russ1962

russ1962 Fish To Live...Live To Fish

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Someone Else's
    They work, but you're going to catch alot of mackerel with the shiny chrome or coltsnipers.

10. DODGERS27

DODGERS27 Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    2001 17ft trophy cc
    I've seen pics they are all 1-3lbers

11. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    I was thinking it would be cuda.

Any better recommendations? That's just what 22nd St told me when I called earlier, Tady C's in shiny and 6x jrs in scrambled or mint. They were also saying mostly rats 6-10, but there were some 20-25 mixed in, just very sparse.

12. jigfisherman

jigfisherman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Josh Huffstetler
    Boat:
    none
    Haha small blue and chrome irons have been catching numerous yellows for years.

13. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Yellows are small. 3-8 lbs with a little variation on either side. Sure ther are a few larger ones mixed in but compare the 1 or 2 you hear reported to the counts on a good day (30-200) and that gives you your odds of getting one that size. Been on the boat multiple times. Have only seen a few taken on the iron each trip. They were taken on iron in various colors and size. Salas 7x,Tady 45, tady c, tady A1, colt sniper, stick bait, mega bait, big hammer plastics. No specific pattern noted. Have seen them all catch yellowtail in the last month. Have not seen anyone fishing the iron catch more than three yellows on them. (Sure they have just not on my trips). Most fish caught on bait squid/sardines. Light line (20-25lb) and small hooks (2-1/0) has been most productive. Seals have often been a problem with the boat having to move around and drift on fish. Watch the passenger count. When it gets up over 35 the tangle factor starts to overwhelm the fun factor. Over 40 and forget it. This is a 3/4 day boat so it's an exercise in futility if you expect most people to know what they are doing and follow their lines. YOU need to be aware of the people around you and anticipate trouble before it happens. If not you will lose a lot of fish and line. Anyway, this has been my experience with the yellows on the "Pursuit " the last couple of months. Good luck