Local tuna questions

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by rx1, Jul 15, 2015.

1. rx1

rx1 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Working on it
    I have a fathom 30 2 speed with 300 yards 65lb spectra and a topshot of about 80 yards 50lb mono and was wondering if I should add another 100 yards of spectra to that after hearing about people getting spooled lately. Are people still splicing the hollow to solid spectra with just an overhand knot? I also have a Makaira 15 with 400 yards 80lb spectra and a short topshot of 60 and wanted to know if inserting the mono into the spectra 6 inches and glueing is still being done. I hear the Tony Pena is a great way to go instead of splicing. I used the search function but the info is a little old and thought there might have been a better way since then. Thanks in advance

2. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    I would say no for the local caught size.........and with 50# I'm assuming your talking about your trolling rig.

3. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Add 100 yards of hollow and insert/tac glue 60# floro top-shot. I put the entire 25 yard spool of 60# floro on so I don't have to re-tie a new leader...unless it a biggun' that tears up the top-shot and then, who cares about a $25 leader at that point :D

4. rx1

rx1 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Working on it
    Thanks for the info guys. 26grumpy are you using the overhand knot method to add line?