Local SD Bluefin Overnight Trip, Gear Setup Advice (Old "Tuna Stick" worth bringing?)

socalroob

Oct 17, 2016
socal
Name
YKNOTUS
Boat
1997 Hydra-sport 2250, 200hp H.O. E-Tec
I've scoured the internet for some ideas here, not really finding what i'm looking for so i figured i'd ask the experts.. and you fine people here too ;-) I'm jumping on the Tomahawk this upcoming week and I'm attempting to put together a "super heavy weight" setup with what i have in the garage.

I have a decent line-up for the "smaller" stuff (for me being a cheapo used rod / reel guy), but i'm trying to get a heavy combo together in case they run over those 150+ tuna's, which i think they're primarily targeting..

My Last trip (tuna expore trip) a few months ago I took my old school Penn Sabre Stroker 20-50lb (BTS 6700 CC) with a Penn Fathom 40n2 with 40lb on it and hooked up on a big tuna, they guessed in the ~150lb range based on what they saw, I was lost it as it was circling.. got bit off right at the boat.. but MAN was that line tight.. Such a great experience none the less.. doesn't bother me at all...... ANYHOW.. after that encounter I purchased a Mak 15 sea TII and a United Composite "Elite" 50-80 rod so that i have more confidence at least.. I put 50lb mono on top of 80lb braid.. so i feel like i have the 40 and 50 taken care of..

The gap in my gear is with the super heavy weight (-ish) setup (i know it's not THAAAT heavy)..

I have a Shimano TLD 25 ii with the Will Fish 30 frame with 60lb mono

I also have a Mak 20 sea with 80lb mono on it (both with 120 lb braid underneath)

These are my trolling rods usually... So this is where my gear gets shifty..

In my cheapo spirit, I picked up a couple of heavier rods recently:

Another Penn Sabre "Stroker" CTS 655 XH RS 40-100lb rod (I like having "matching" rods) and I have another one with no line markings.. but it's labeled "Willie's Tuna Stick" and looks like some kind of composite rod as far as I can tell, it has all rollers.. seems heavy AF. Both these rods are in the ~5' 6" length and in good to great shape..

i was thinking of putting the TLD 25 on the Penn with the 60lb, and putting the MAK on the "Tuna Stick" with the 80lb. Think that's a good idea? I can't get any info on the rod labeled the "Willie's Tuna Stick" but I was able to put some heavy pressure on it when setting the drag up.. and same with the Penn.. the Penn seemed softer, but probably because it's fiberglass, seemed to "bottom out" sooner than the "tuna stick" which is why I'd put the mak 20 on it..

again, just wondering should i bring either of these set ups? should I just rent a super heavy set up? Or will the Mak 15 be able to handle the workload?? I've also read that longer rods on the bigger boat is better??

anyhow, just looking to be able to blame someone in case my old used rods break on me!! ;-) JK!!

Any advice / feedback is absolutely appreciated.

Either way i'm excited to get out there again, and thankful they still seem to be biting!!

PennSabre.jpg

Image from iOS (1).jpg

Image from iOS (2).jpg

James Taylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Sportboats
Fathom 40n, makaira 15T and makaira 20 are good reels. Put the 20 on a 80-130 rated rod and the makaira 15T is a good match with the United composites 700xxh. The fathom 40n fills the same slot as the 15T but it’s always good to have a backup rigged up. Having the right rods is really important as they will help you gain line. The guys at the landing can help suggest and rent you appropriate rods if you don’t want to buy anything else. Good luck on your trip let us know how you do

Reactions: socalroob
Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I don’t think an overnight trip can get out to the big fish zone.

The heavier gear can be used as a troller for local fishing. The kelps have been biting good if they find a decent one. Mostly using 20-40lb tackle for the overnight fishing.

An overnight trip would have to leave Cortez bank at noon to make it back by 8pm for their next trip. Need a 1.5 day or longer trip to get to Cortez from San Diego.

Upvote 0

socalroob

Oct 17, 2016
socal
Name
YKNOTUS
Boat
I don’t think an overnight trip can get out to the big fish zone.

The heavier gear can be used as a troller for local fishing. The kelps have been biting good if they find a decent one. Mostly using 20-40lb tackle for the overnight fishing.

An overnight trip would have to leave Cortez bank at noon to make it back by 8pm for their next trip. Need a 1.5 day or longer trip to get to Cortez from San Diego.

it’s a 1.5 day trip :-). They’re catching big bluefin.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
Upvote 0

socalroob

Oct 17, 2016
socal
Name
YKNOTUS
Boat
Fathom 40n, makaira 15T and makaira 20 are good reels. Put the 20 on a 80-130 rated rod and the makaira 15T is a good match with the United composites 700xxh. The fathom 40n fills the same slot as the 15T but it’s always good to have a backup rigged up. Having the right rods is really important as they will help you gain line. The guys at the landing can help suggest and rent you appropriate rods if you don’t want to buy anything else. Good luck on your trip let us know how you do

thank you for the reply! I may have to see what Hogan’s in Dana has available for a heavy rod. Or maybe I’ll rent one. The tomahawk seems to be focused on the 100+ fish this week and I don’t want to be under gunned.

Thanks again! Hope to report back with some fresh meat in the freezer!!

Upvote 0