Local Night Fishing for Tuna

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by fighingrjo, Jul 2, 2015.

1. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Your biggest issue fishing bait at night off Socal will be sharks. Based on science papers I have read and my own experience trolling swords at night, makos will get your offerings down to about 40'. You're pretty safe with a bait placed at 60' to 70' or more. You very likely could encounter Oprah.

2. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    I have no doubt people try and occasionally get bit.. But it certainly isnt something you can target this far up the line with any consistency..

3. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    On a 2.5 or 3.5 trip I am always looking for the chance to fish for a few hours in the dark, if it turns out feasible with the boat drifting or sea-anchored. What a gorgeous sky! As was said, you have to go below the shark layer to possibly get something exotic, but not knowing what might bite is the whole point to me. Of course be sure to ask permission from the night watch crewman, who in my experience is often very interested in the process and is hopeful that something interesting will happen.

I have never yet caught a big tuna at night in our nearby offshore waters. But they are certainly there! And several times over the years I have been quickly spooled and broken-off by something not-shark. Swordfish? Mama marlin like in the Old Man and The Sea? Sneaky Russian sub? Who knows? Just part of the fun.

4. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Now there's some quality info..

5. fighingrjo

fighingrjo paid my taxes

Name:
    ryan
    Boat:
    guys, thanks for the INFORMATIVE input. i will REPORT after i have something to REPORT. as it is, i was asking for anyone with information that may not have previously been REPORTED.

the multi day trips i referenced were 2-3 days and were several years ago (normal ?? seasons) (not sure what normal will be moving forward after such dreadfull years and now catching dorado on 3/4 day boats as early as July1 this year) As one suggested, it was on the sea anchor and we were regularly 60 -100 miles from pt loma. we caught makos, blue shark, and tuna. I will be headed out next weekend on 2 1/2 day, not sure where we will be, or what we will chase, but i suspect that if the tuna are biting close, we may stay close and if the opportunity presents itself and we are stationary off shore, i was curious weather it was worth the effort.

6. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    If youre up at night, fish. Drop a bait or glow/chrome/blue jig down 200'. its also a good way to get to know the deckies, skipper and chef. A lot of good info comes from these guys when its only you and them out there....even if you dont catch anything. ;)
    If the fish do decide to bite (albies multiple times for me) its great fun gaffing each others' fishies...in the dark. Then the pressure is off to fill your own tags during the day and you can help others catch some fish during the day. Remember......once we're off the internet, we're all there to have some fun and catch some fish.

surfgoose likes this.
  7. Ducksgo

Ducksgo Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Someone else's
    Go ahead and fish after 10 am off the 43. Nothing's biting boss. Everyone went south around 9 am today I just got off the dominator overnight

8. Simon Bon Bowery

Simon Bon Bowery Lizard Fish Hippie

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"

Now that's funny... Thanks.. LOL

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  9. Ducksgo

Ducksgo Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Someone else's
    Lol you're to retarded to even respond to. But I'll bite just for inside info for the other anglers.
    The 43 isn't getting bit after 10 am everyone on the sports boats are going for the yellowfin the area NOW is the 302 for fish you slap dick.

10. Ducksgo

Ducksgo Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Someone else's
    Lol what's really funny is I hope you guys stay at the 43 past 10 am I want to take pics

11. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    I fish a private boat and dont deal with the crowds or shitty deck hands that think they know everything. Fyi you slap dick, Ive been catching yft on the 302 and bft on the 9 for weeks now. Arent you a deck bitch and why you so mad pussy? LOL

12. Ducksgo

Ducksgo Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Someone else's
    The fact you are saying they are biting after 10 am is false if you're fishing the 43 for bluefin. And why would I be mad? I have fresh sashimi and hamachi today you're prolly that same asswad that goes through people's chum lines looking for fish. Why am I even arguing with you? Totally not worth my time..... Been doing this shit since 8 years old and 30 now... Fucking commoners not even worth a breath i swear. Btw just give me your boat I'll put better use to it jackass

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  13. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Who said I was fishing the 43? You been doing this since 8 and your still a deck bitch....Ive seen lots of bft caught after 10 is what im saying. Typical sport boat swashbuckler, thinks he's gods gift to fishing and knows it all. You know nothing but what your captain tells you. Been eating sashimi and hamachi so much that I prefer a good steak right about now. Bring it on.

14. Ducksgo

Ducksgo Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Someone else's
    Your so cute when your mad. I want to grab your cheek and goochy goochy goo. I first and foremost work at a landing and have inside info before your dumb ass does. Plus I know all the captains and fish for free up and down the coast. Please call LA Waterfront so I can cuss you out. Better yet show up in person

15. Ducksgo

Ducksgo Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Someone else's
    Totally not even trying to hijack the thread. I'm done here sorry mods

16. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Wow, you're 30 years old and you still ride party boats and work at a landing? I bet you still live at home with your mamma and at any given moment you're a paycheck away from having your bicycle repo'd.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  17. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Stay in LA. If you do come down to SD just send me a pm and I'll gladly show up in person. Why do you keep responding? You said three times you dont have time for this? Dont you have some toilets to scrub? Way to represent LA waterfront.

18. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Millenial fight....almost as entertaining as a bitch fight. :rofl:

PCH likes this.
  19. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    Youa'll better sit up and pay attention ,duckys got 22 whole years of experience :worship:

BiggestT likes this.
  20. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    It's a wonderful year when we get to argue about when and where we are catching tuna BEFORE the 4th of July!

One_Leg and wils like this.