I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Roller tip!

When choosing reel size, you should factor in a break off at the rod and be able to keep fishing.

Don’t overthink to the rod and reel. Just make sure you have secure and glued knots, good swivels, and well thought out terminal gear (i.e. make sure the circle or j hook doesn’t immediately hook the pipe when you jig, treble on a pipe doesn’t go past the bottom of the pipe, etc). Halibut aren’t super exciting to fight, although slightly more energetic than a block of wood.

Have a plan for when the halibut gets to the surface. Oh, and treble hooks that don’t break sure help!

Reactions: bdrlgion

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris
Boat
21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
Halibut is a transport vehicle for beer batter, and killer tartar sauce....
can only eat so much fish n chips! if so hali and ling are great for that. but my fav is putansesca and also on the cedar plank with a baste. the little ones 40lbs and under.

Reactions: Tomictime

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Where the fuq is Port Angeles and what are halibuts?

I thought I lived there but not thinking like that this year: Not yet a bumper to bumper trail of rigs and boat trailers pouring into town.

At least I am ready this year. New Yamahas on the old Mako.

IuXmfZr.jpg

And a new tackle locker, no more clutter underfoot!

sKeTLZc.jpg

Fmrf3Fw.jpg

For the Rockpile:

rd2fURg.jpg

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
great Mako, love the tackle station !,

22 foot, made in 1977. Towed on the trailer all the way from Miami. Not a pleasant boat in the cold winter rains but I am a fair weather fisherman. I am retired and can pick the nice days to go out!

V7dDMx0.jpg

Just for you three of the big Plano trays are full of Tomics. And a few J plugs.

MDzStml.jpg

And a mooching station. Sit on the fish box and drown cut plugs. 9.9 in easy reach.

S7fvk8t.jpg

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
i think you are so well organized, on the nasty weather days you should fish w me. I ran a similar Mako on lake Erie, they built them super well back then :-) great Tomic collection there.....

I have tons more, the ones in the Plano boxes just happen to be rigged.

I need to rig a couple of these, the #60 hoochie has always been a good producer for me in the Straits. Will be interesting to see if the same color in Tomic will work.

9Yj2KMp.jpg

yfWG0gF.jpg

Reactions: Tomictime

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Nicely set up Mako! Fish much??? Hahaha

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
His OCD levels are off the charts. Laurence you must be fucking jealous, or at least envious
Yea retired old grumpy bachelor here, plenty of time to myself. The Mako is an ongoing restoration project, it was a shame when I bought it 5 years ago. Had one of those old Mercs on it that was a constant problem, so I bit the bullet last year and bought the Yamahas. Wow! What a difference.

Anxiously awaiting the July Chinook season, hope we have some time to fish!

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
In the past I used big J hooks but switched to circles. Mark M's method from the "Other Forum".

The little pack is dental bands. Wrap one around the tail and leader when finished threading.

PZBTIRi.jpg

fVn1zRp.jpg

NryE0T2.jpg

fZ37JMq.jpg

Leaders are 2 ft long with a McMahon snap on the end. Attach to a dropper rig, Two drops, so I will fish two baits at a time. Drops are spaced 5 ft apart so the baits will not tangle.

Similar to this but with the baits instead of the grubs.

8vtJ4Io.jpg

Snap for quick changing baits. Carry a cooler full of pre rigged herring.

iNf2Lot.jpg

Last edited:

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
I know what it means but I don’t understand how keeping a pacific cod or lingcod hurts yellow eyes? That makes zero sense to me.
The gear and bait used for halibut is typically too large to interest many yelloweye. Gear used to target other fish tends to be smaller and more interesting to the fishes that don't deal with barotrauma as well. I got the chance to participate in a NOAA rockfish/barotrauma catch and release study a few years back and the gear we used was really small. 4-5 inch grubs, the skinny ones that seemed more appropriate for sand dabs rather than 300 foot deep rockfish.
Don't forget your descent device!!!!!

Reactions: Baby J

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    I’ve been fishing for halibut for a long time and can’t remember ever catching a yelloweye. I fish really deep and occasionally catch cod as a bonus so I guess I’ll just stay west of area six because cod is one of my favorite fish to eat.

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Name
    Big John
    Boat
    Classic MAKO 22
    Years ago I caught the yellows on the Rock Pile out in the Straits. Maybe 1978 or 1979.

On 8 oz Metzler JIgs. Brought home chicken halibut also, same jigs.

Yea the good old days, trebles and barbed hooks were legal. And there was room at the boat launch parking lot.

1f0zR2V.jpg

7oJNWPy.jpg