hawkplayer32

I'd rather be fishing.
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Tony Hicks
Boat
Baja Bound
The Ventura Fish Market is selling locally caught CA King Salmon. The rumor is that the fish are being caught at or around Rosa? Has anybody caught any or have any idea where they are being caught? Would love to get me some fresh salmon!

eat'm_raw

person of interest
Mar 7, 2006
Santa Barbara
Name
Mike
Boat
15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
They may be stretching the definition of "local" a bit. Central coast seems to be where they're at, from Morro to Monterey and up.

There are some fish caught off SB every year, but it's been a lot of years since there's been a great run. Longer than albacore, lol. I'd love for it to happen, though!

Reactions: Laukia

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
Isn't this what Stardust fishing does or something? I remember reading about a charter up here that specialized in salmon.

eat'm_raw

person of interest
Mar 7, 2006
Santa Barbara
Name
Mike
Boat
15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
Isn't this what Stardust fishing does or something? I remember reading about a charter up here that specialized in salmon.
No. The Stardust is a rockfishing machine, with some occasional surface fishing for bass, yellowtail, and seabass.

Santa Barbara does not have a reliable salmon run, just a few fish caught every year, with an occasional better year. Our last good run was like 20 years ago.

There is nobody locally that specializes in salmon, though I'm sure you could hire a six-pack to take you out and troll around for a day.

It's really a private boat thing, and even then, most people drag their boats up to Morro Bay (or further north) if they're serious about catching salmon.

Reactions: hawkplayer32

1steveT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
It's being caught up North, Santa Cruz/Moss/Monterey and further.
My brother-in-law's next door neighbor has been fishing up there and his son has been going up an getting it and bringing down here, getting a better price than up there.
Also, we haven't had any sort of salmon run down here since the mid 90s when they were so thick we started calling them silver mackerel.

CaliJeepHuntr

May 21, 2008
San Luis Obispo
Name
Nick
Boat
Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
Also, we haven't had any sort of salmon run down here since the mid 90s when they were so thick we started calling them silver mackerel.
I believe it was 2002 or 2003 that was an epic year for them out of Santa Barbara. We were driving south to launch out of SB instead of fishing for them out of Port San Luis for like a month straight. We limited 6-8 fish many times.

One of the days we caught 6 fish with 4 being over 20 lbs. They were around the 200 foot line and we had to get below the barracuda that were in the top half of the water. We lost many hoochies that day to them slime sticks.

Reactions: Tom123

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
10lb test sliding sinker rigs did the trick those years. Using the beat up baits for the lazy salmon. Lots of 15 lb ers. Mid 90 s out of Ventura drifting the rigs. Great fishing.

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
Name
Greg
Boat
22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
Yup! They were stupid thick in ‘95. 10lb, some sliders and a bag of frozen chovies and you’d limit.

I filleted 3 fish from half moon bay today, all beautiful 10-12 pounders.

Reactions: onehottip