Local Fishing off Pierpoint Landing Southern Cal 1/2 day pm

j12

Jan 17, 2010
san gabriel california
Name
jacky
Boat
don't have one
Originally I had to go in my research lab this weekend but there was a mix up. I went there and my colleague had switch schedule yada yada yada. They screwed me over. If they notified me about the schedule change I would've been on a 3/4 day boat down coronado but then again today wasn't that great so i guess they saved me some money. Anyway had to get the fishing bug out of me so looked up fish count and called pierpoint. Based on the fish count thought we were targeting rock fish but when I got on the boat, I was notified that that we are targeting sheepheads and whitefish instead. Strange decision by captain considering that they did really well on the AM rockfish. Anyway first spot we were searching for about 45min with no fish on boat. Fishing sucked with few fish being landed by a few individuals. Boat was quiet for 3/4 of the trip until 5pm when captain finally took us to a decent bass hole. People started hooking up on sand bass and they were all from 1.5-3lbers so good fishes. All caught on jigheads and squid strip some on dropper loop 1/0 hook with squid strips. Big props to the captain because even though he made a bad call to go to a crappy spot to start the trip on, he made up the loss time by staying an extra hour and half at the last spot. We got back to shore around 7 when originally boat was supposed to be back at 5:30pm. Met a few friendly fisherman so that's always fun. Anyway that concludes my crappy trip. Till next time. Tight lines!

Personal Score:
1 perch
2 croakers

keepers: none

Lures used:
Kalin's Magambo
Glow in the dark Swimbait on jig heads
Squid strips on jig heads
Squid strips on 1/0 hooks with reverse dropper loop

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
Hola, i believe you went out on the southern cal and if you did, they really do try and get you on the fish but, they can't make them bite for whatever you are using and they will help and advise but you need to listen and try.

a 1/2 day boat doesn't have the amount of time to try so many spots. maybe you should try a 3/4 or overnight boat ?

they all try and get you on fish as that's how they make extra monies cleaning fish and for tips and try to get you to come back.

the southern cal has always been a very good boat and crew.

just my opinion.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Yeah, the current could've changed on them or wind direction. Maybe they couldn't set up on the rockfish spot right with different conditions. At least you got on the water Jacky.

Upvote 0

j12

Jan 17, 2010
san gabriel california
Name
jacky
Boat
don't have one
yea being out there was cool enough as it was. I don't mean to infer the boat or the crew sucked. I'm sorry if I gave that vibe in the report. I just wanted to say well fishing was kinda sucky for me personally. I'm sure those who hooked on to the bigguns near the end had one hell of a time. Also I would like to reinforce that fact that the crew tried extra hard to get on the fish and that's why I wanted to give props. Don't get me wrong. 1/2 day trips it is what it is sometimes you get it sometimes you don't. This is one of those times when I didn't get them but it's all good because there's always next time.

Brandon I didn't think of the fact that maybe conditions were too rough for rockfishing that's why the capt. had to make a change of plan. If that is the case then it all makes sense. Anyway thanks for reading my report guys.

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
Yep, sounds like you chalk the trip up as one of those "better than working" trips.

Hell...... my wife had me hanging blinds in 3 rooms and doing 5 loads of laundry today. Sure wish I could have been on a boat getting skunked. :D

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
yea being out there was cool enough as it was. I don't mean to infer the boat or the crew sucked. I'm sorry if I gave that vibe in the report. I just wanted to say well fishing was kinda sucky for me personally. I'm sure those who hooked on to the bigguns near the end had one hell of a time. Also I would like to reinforce that fact that the crew tried extra hard to get on the fish and that's why I wanted to give props. Don't get me wrong. 1/2 day trips it is what it is sometimes you get it sometimes you don't. This is one of those times when I didn't get them but it's all good because there's always next time.

Brandon I didn't think of the fact that maybe conditions were too rough for rockfishing that's why the capt. had to make a change of plan. If that is the case then it all makes sense. Anyway thanks for reading my report guys.

I didn't get anything from your original post bad about the boat or crew. Always gotta think about conditions when the captain's make a decision on a sport boat, especially on inshore spots. Current direction, wind, temperature, clarity are all things those guys have to put into consideration. Glad you got out man, I didn't.

Upvote 0