jtj0026

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2006
Cerritos
Name
John
Boat
n/a
I have never caught a YT using dropper loop and have local trips coming up (LA/LB and Redondo areas). I believe the bait will most likely be macs so will be using large hooks and thick lines. Here comes my questions:

- Should I go with 50LB or 40LB topshot?
- What size of sinkers to bring in order to drop the mac down to the bottom?
- Should I button down the drag or just set the drag at 1/4 to 1/3 of the topshot?
- Any additional comments / pointers for me?

Appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
40 or 50 will work just fine. I would recommend yoyoing a 6x or 6x jr rather than fishing dropper loop. If you insist on fishing dropper loop use a large hook and set drag as usual per line strength. Good luck.

Upvote 0

crabdancer

Kook
Apr 18, 2012
LA/Santa Cruz
Name
Shannon
Boat
Edgewater
Hmmmm yeaaah like the man said, set your drag normally. Tie a 20" spider hitch 5-7' up from an 8-12 oz torpedo on 40 or 50 and bend the rod.

Get bit on the yo yo if you can man.

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Depends on where you are fishing as to 40 or 50 and the make up of the bottom. Some would even suggest much heavier set ups. If rocky, I might even look at 80 lb leader with darn near lock down on the drag...obviously a stiffer rod if this is the case...

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Again weight depends on current...I would bring 6/12/16 ounces depending on current...

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
40/50/60 drag to line strength. 3/0 -5/0 hooks I like triple swivel to avoid line twist against knot !! I use in mex a lot. I would try sixty on main line 40 flouro to hook then at bottom use 25 to your wt. so if caught in rocks your wt breaks off and can still fish. Bring 6- 20 oz more of 8 and 10. 8 is most common. But the funnest way to catch them and very effective is a salas 6X and 6X jr are main stays for this!!! Scrambled egg baby shit brown. Bleeding mackerel. Drop jig yo bottom as soon as hits *****WIND AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!**** First time a 20+ lbs fish hits your jig you like the fish will be hooked!!! Good luck.

Upvote 0

eddiefishtaco

Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
When I get cramps in my forearms
From jigging them jureles, I'll take a break and soak bait like a girl. :(

I use a strong 3 way swivel
30 fluorocarbon on the leader
The main line braided line 50#
On a 8# torpedo 4/0 hook.

Get them forkies !

Reactions: J.AkuHed
Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat
Kathleen
I have never caught a YT using dropper loop and have local trips coming up (LA/LB and Redondo areas). I believe the bait will most likely be macs so will be using large hooks and thick lines. Here comes my questions:

- Should I button down the drag or just set the drag at 1/4 to 1/3 of the topshot?

Appreciate your help.
use spider hitch. much stronger. weight depends on current strength.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Yesterday between 9-11 AM they bit on the fly-lined sardine. The birds were the worst I've ever seen, it was nearly impossible to keep a bait in the water. Small sinkers didn't help as the drift would bring the bait up just close enough to the surface for the birds to dive down 30' and get hooked.

All the sportboats got bit only because of the amount of bait in the water at one time. The few who survived the birds were the ones to get bit.

I had the entire water column covered with no love on the dropper-loop or mid-water column.
The fish were everywhere from 250' in to 200'. 200' is where the fly-line action was.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
gee some one should post pictures of the variations, and make a tutorial....... :)

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
Most break offs or cut-offs when dropper loop fishing are due to the sinker getting stuck thus allowing the line to abrade against the structures and eventually failed at the dropper loop. Use the weakest knot you can get away with when tying on your sinker or use a 10 lbs breakaway piece of line and tie your sinker to that. Old school stuff.

Upvote 0

wildbunch

MOFO
Oct 11, 2008
Analheim
Name
Bill
Boat
23' "Hardcore"
Yesterday between 9-11 AM they bit on the fly-lined sardine. The birds were the worst I've ever seen, it was nearly impossible to keep a bait in the water. Small sinkers didn't help as the drift would bring the bait up just close enough to the surface for the birds to dive down 30' and get hooked.

All the sportboats got bit only because of the amount of bait in the water at one time. The few who survived the birds were the ones to get bit.

I had the entire water column covered with no love on the dropper-loop or mid-water column.
The fish were everywhere from 250' in to 200'. 200' is where the fly-line action was.

Hope that helps.
Next time try yo yo iron instead of bird food.....Yellows like it and birds do not unless they are real hungry and stupid......:D:D:D

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Most break offs or cut-offs when dropper loop fishing are due to the sinker getting stuck thus allowing the line to abrade against the structures and eventually failed at the dropper loop. Use the weakest knot you can get away with when tying on your sinker or use a 10 lbs breakaway piece of line and tie your sinker to that. Old school stuff.
Tie an overhand knot in the line above the sinker it will be the week link if the sinker gets snagged.

Upvote 0

jtj0026

Jul 17, 2006
Cerritos
Name
John
Boat
n/a
Thanks for the tips guys... Got big yellow hookup 3 times yoyoing a full size Salas 6x, lost one to sealion, unbuttoned one and got to take home one. Yes, we need animal control in the sea... birds and sea dogs are really out of control.

Next time try yo yo iron instead of bird food.....Yellows like it and birds do not unless they are real hungry and stupid......:D:D:D

Reactions: Sgtsilbaugh
Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club

Is that how you hooked your Marlin down there the other day? :D

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
When I get cramps in my forearms
From jigging them jureles, I'll take a break because i feel like a girl. :(

I use a strong 3 way swivel
30 fluorocarbon on the leader
The main line braided line 50#
On a 8# torpedo 4/0 hook.

Get them forkies !
Fixed it

Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17

Appreciate your help.
Definitely use 50LB mono with 12 oz sinker to get down. 5/0 or 6/0 circle hook for Macs. Button down the drag to 15-18 lbs drag.

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None

Appreciate your help.

I tried for them out of Dana Wharf Sportfishing on the half price tuesdays 3 times in the last 2 months...only one person landed them out of 45 people each time. I got busted off on my one hookup at the dropper loop...used a surgeons knot (3 wraps) to a palomar knot on hook with straight 40# mono. About 10 others got hooked up on one boat (some on jigs) and almost all got busted off!? I still need to get my first legit yellow...may hit it again if the counts pick up. Jigging seems easier since only one knot (or flylining). I'm like you...never got one on the dropper loop but need to very soon!

Upvote 0

Latest posts