Local big bluefin reel & gear help

Dozer217

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
Debating if I should get a real to handle these, Penn/Shimano 20-30 2spd or add to my local arsenal. Would only fish the them from local PB in the Long Beach area or 2 day from SD. Currently have an Avet EX 4/02, Fathom 30ld2spd 2 Torium 20’s and a 300 & 400 Lexa. Have about $600 to spend

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
Tune your Avet 40/2 and you are pretty good to go. That reel when tuned well can fish 80-100
Agreed. Look up Alan Tani’s drag clip mod for more oomph. Load it up with 80# solid to a short fluoro top shot. Not the lightest or sexiest option, but will easily handle local bft up to 200#. And will provide double duty as a heavy dropper loop reel...

Then again, buying more gear might be a lot more fun!

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
What Robert said. The ten years was a rough estimate of the change into newer designs based upon cutting-edge materials. The rod designs of the past decade weigh half as much, have much better guides, better reel seats, and can bring a lot more recoil to the fight. Since every rodmaker keeps a sharp eye on all of the competition, and key personnel can and do move to other companies, any particular advantage for a certain company doesn't last very long. This is a real good thing for anglers, if they understand that the amazing improvements in reels can only be fully exploited by the newer rod designs. Put a new small two speed reel on your old glass rod and you will be bottomed-out quickly and fight twice as hard as you should.

Reactions: clevel

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
What Robert said. The ten years was a rough estimate of the change into newer designs based upon cutting-edge materials. The rod designs of the past decade weigh half as much, have much better guides, better reel seats, and can bring a lot more recoil to the fight. Since every rodmaker keeps a sharp eye on all of the competition, and key personnel can and do move to other companies, any particular advantage for a certain company doesn't last very long. This is a real good thing for anglers, if they understand that the amazing improvements in reels can only be fully exploited by the newer rod designs. Put a new small two speed reel on your old glass rod and you will be bottomed-out quickly and fight twice as hard as you should.
Surfgoose is right. New rods are half the diameter, twice as strong, and half the weight. So much more pleasant to use! Prevents fatigue in a big way.

hawkplayer32

I'd rather be fishing.
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Tony Hicks
Boat
Baja Bound
Your wasting your money. Your avet will handle those fish just fine.

Focus on the smaller reels that you use more often. No need for another big reel.

Reactions: Cubeye

ryanm

Cracker
Oct 12, 2004
alta loma, california
Name
ryan
Boat
19,seaswirl, crackers
May not be a bad idea to wait and see if "local big bluefin" even show again. The last couple seasons are an anomaly...
You may end up waiting 20 years for another shot at them locally.

Reactions: Cubeye

Dozer217

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
Thanks guys, I’m going to get more “small” stuff now just need to figure if a Trini 30 is with the money

skipjackrobert

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
May not be a bad idea to wait and see if "local big bluefin" even show again. The last couple seasons are an anomaly...
they are here..and have been here..just waiting for it here shortly...:)

kenstevens1

Apr 1, 2013
huntington beach /ca/us
Name
ken
Boat
none
Nope not that trini. Think smaller. Think braid capacity. Think bd classifieds for very nice pre-owned gear. I've learned in my hunt for gear that 99 percent of the fishermen I deal with can be trusted when it comes to gear. Not necessarily about size and number of fish caught, but what the heck.

dctalk523

Dec 28, 2007
County of Orange
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
Look into the Penn Fathom 40 2 speed. Saw some on the classified section. Great reel for those looking for an inexpensive BFT reel.

Aug 12, 2014
Name
Sam
Boat
21 ft, Custom Sun Runner
For rod/reel combo less then $600? I'm currently using Rainshadow RCJBXXH (50-100) with Penn Fathom 40LD2... Roughly $200-225 for Fathom 40LD2 depending what deals you find online and used classified. And $250 for the rod.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
40nld2/ Proteus PRTB70xxh is my new combo. Last year did fine to 90 lbs with a fth30ld2 and Proteus 70xh.

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
40LD2 can be had brand new and shipped for $170 at Woodbury Outfitters. Long thread about it on here already.

Reactions: KCiuchta

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Agreed. Look up Alan Tani’s drag clip mod for more oomph.
Let's be really clear about something.

Background: Alan has modified two of these for me..an ex 4/0 std and a wide. I have fished Clarion & Guadalupe with them.

With this mod, the max drag pressure is greatly increased ( the good). However, there is no gradual rampup of the drag when you push the lever forward. It goes from freespool....push lever over the cam....to 20 lbs.

Some....many long range captains will tell you....when that big tuna picks up your bait, you wait X # seconds, then graaaaadually increase the drag to maybe 10 - 15 lbs.....and wait still....before pushing it to strike.

With this " hot rod" mod, you lose the ability to gradually adjust the drag. I have caught several fish in the 80 - 170 lb range with this reel, and I must admit...at this point it is not my first choice tuna reel any more. You just can not finesse the drag.

I will still use it for a #3 backup rig for big tuna.

However, it is my **favorite** reel for.....big yellowtail dropper loop rig! In that situation, we are waiting for the bite with reel in gear at 30 lbs drag so....perfect!

Just know what you are getting in to, before doing this mod.

May 20, 2017
Huntington Beach
Name
Fish Monger
Boat
WFO
20yrs try this grade of bluefin haven't been in range of the sport fleet in since I can remember. Safe to say 75 yrs. We've had short visitations by bigger bluefin but mostly bigeye but not the sustained residency were enjoying presently. Cross your fingers we dont get a strong El Nino anytime soon. If so bye-bye bluefin hello football sized yellowfin, Dorado and Humboldt squid